Feedback on "i Hate School" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "i Hate School"

By jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

As soon as I had read the first sentence of this article, I knew it was going to be interesting, as I could already relate to what the author had said. In “I Hate School,” writer Megan Lewis discusses how she has often heard the common phrase of “I hate school” among her classmates. With a large part of a student’s life being consumed with schoolwork and activities, the author did not have too much gratitude for her education. This attitude changed, however, when she found out about the exceptional story of Malala Yousafzai. Lewis explained how this girl lived in the Swat Valley in Pakistan, which was overcome by the Taliban, a militant group that targeted girls’ schools. Instead of letting these men take away her right to learn, Malala Yousafzai would fight back by doing things like blogging about her life to BBC. I completely agree with the awe of the author, as Yousafzai’s bravery in the risky situation was incredible. Although Malala’s BBC blogging identity was revealed and a Taliban gunman shot her in the head on her school bus, the courageous girl was able to recover. She is now the youngest Nobel Peace Prize winner, as she continues to be an inspiring advocate of education. Lewis’s point of view is changed for the better, as she recognizes school as a privilege that can’t be taken for granted.

After reading this article, I was reminded for the true value and importance of school. I had never disliked school to the point where I’ve said “I hate school,” myself, but I have become weary of it from time to time. Just like Megan Lewis, however, I had learned about the astounding Malala Yousafzai, a girl not-too-many-years older than me, fighting passionately for one of my basic rights. I was blown away with her fearlessness, as she unwaveringly stood up for what was right. With school, I already have a variety of choices of what to do with my future. I can’t even begin to imagine my life without a guaranteed education. Lewis has written, “I’m extremely privileged to have a free, public, quality education that I can enjoy without fear.” This applies to every student, as we should all appreciate what an immense opportunity we have.