Untitled | Teen Ink

Untitled

By gomiebear SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
gomiebear SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

"When thinking about life, remember this: no amount of guilt can change the past, and no amound of anxiety can change the future."

The soft mumble echoed throughout the lunch room. Faces glued to phones, craving what the anonymous bullies said. The suspense made their foreheads trickle with sweat and their stomachs grumble with fear. Everyone wanted to know who was getting “flamed” or “roasted.” They called it entertainment, but the people observing called it bullying.

My school is a great school, with great opportunities, great sports programs, and great people. But when students resorted to hurting each others feelings via the internet anonymously, it didn’t seem so great.

I remember how intrigued my friends were over Yik Yak (which is the app where people anonymously post thoughts). It was all good until people posted negative things about students and even the faculty.

I was appalled reading what people had to say. The students became like the wild scene of the girls from Mean Girls attacking each other via the internet. I was ashamed of my school, I was ashamed at how cruel people were towards each other, and I was ashamed of the rude comments and tears streaming down people’s faces.
As soon as administration found out what was going on, they immediately put an end to Yik Yak. They bombarded the school with positivity, including notes on people’s lockers, positive flyers, and a week dedicated to no hate. They created a geofence to block the app. And it solved the issues and problems.

My school went out of their way to fight back with positivity instead of sternness. This response shows sportsmanship and demonstrates a successful approach to end bullying.

The boisterous laughter and rattling shouts shook the halls. The faces once glued to their phones, and craving to know what was being said of them, became calm and radiating with smiles. The roasting had ended, the bullying stopped. And the day was saved by the students.