Stand Up | Teen Ink

Stand Up

By Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois
Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

"Unicorns and glitter!" -Flo

Bullying. A word almost every kid dreads. They dread being the outcast. The reject. The person everyone bullies. The loner. Not being good enough or not meeting someone’s standards. Some dread it so much, they take their own lives. A tragic way to die.
If only the teachers had seen it sooner. If only the parents knew. If only the victim spoke up.
Statistics show in 2011 that 60% of middle school students say they have been bullied. Only 16% of staff believed that students had been bullied. They also say that over 160,000 stayed home from school to avoid bullying. 20% of high school students said they had thoughts of committing suicide in the past twelve months in 2011.
In my opinion, these numbers are too high. What can we do to stop bullying? There are numerous ways to prevent bullying.
Statistics show that over 50% of bullying decreased if the school had an anti-bully program running. If every school had an anti-bully program running, it might reduce the percentage of bullying. It would show the bullies how much they hurt the person who they were bullying.
It would also be more helpful if teachers kept an eye on students at all times. Many bullying cases occur on the playground or at passing time. Only 25% of bullied students said that teachers intervened a bullying incident; while 71% of teachers said they intervened a bullying incident.
Another way is to talk to the bully or stand up to them. Tell them how much it hurts when they call you names or physically hurt you. Try to help them understand bullying isn’t cool. Most likely, they bully just to impress their friends.
Tell a teacher or trusted adult. It’s one of the most commonly known ways to stop a bully from bullying you. Don’t worry; you won’t be a snitch or tattle-tale. Tattle-telling is when someone purposely tells on someone to get them in trouble. Just telling a teacher or trusted adult the situation is perfectly fine. It will help you in the long run.
Don’t just sit on the sidelines and watch bullying. Stand up for the bullying victim and let them know they won’t be alone.
Bullying is never, nor will it ever be, a tolerable matter. Together we can stand up to bullying and make it disappear. Poof!

Just a thought on bullying.

XxcapalotxX said...
on Feb. 24 at 12:26 pm
XxcapalotxX, Lakeaorwhed, Maine
@gmis H-O-O-O YEAH

gmis said...
on Feb. 24 at 10:34 am
gmis, Reading, Pennsylvania
daddy harder

gmis said...
on Feb. 24 at 10:34 am
gmis, Reading, Pennsylvania
uhhhhh

gmis said...
on Feb. 23 at 9:54 am
gmis, Reading, Pennsylvania
i remember when got bully for not sharing my pencil and i was uhhhh daddy

gmis said...
on Feb. 23 at 9:41 am
gmis, Reading, Pennsylvania
@JoeBiden you suck mate

JoeBiden said...
on Feb. 2 at 2:06 pm
JoeBiden, Washington, District Of Columbia

My fellow Americans, here's the deal!

My fellow Americans, here's the deal. Bullying should be by law, illegal in the nation. My future proposal will in fact, make bullying illegal throughout the nation. It will give funding to education systems to help stop the bullying. By 2023, these numbers should decrease by 50% because of my proposal. I will introduce the proposal to the House of Representatives after the COVID Crisis.

- President Biden

Study-Man said...
on Jan. 6 at 3:03 am
Study-Man, Dubai, Maine
i feel so bad but i feel amazed that someone could post this with so much confidence this story deserves to be known more before someone starts to say something mean to someone else with out knowing them or whats going on at home

taliwebs said...
on Dec. 10 2020 at 10:16 am
taliwebs, Greenbay, Wisconsin
oh i hope you get better

on Mar. 13 2020 at 2:13 pm
Ihatebullying1239085, Buena Park, California
Hello it’s me

on Mar. 13 2020 at 2:02 pm
Hello it’s me with the corona virus

on Mar. 3 2020 at 4:12 pm
sergentsteelbad, Newyork, Alabama
@SergeantSteel82 why are you sliver just be steel like your username
go peepee on my cat

on Mar. 3 2020 at 4:09 pm
sergentsteelsucks, Newyork, New York
@SergeantSteel82 go peepee on my dog

on Feb. 18 2020 at 11:23 am
SergeantSteel82 SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana

one of the greatest tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war.
-Francis Collins

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity.
-1 Timothy 4:12, NIV Bible For Teen Guys

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

I know, but its just kind of annoying when even conversations like this should be in the forums, not in the comments. I honestly don't really care that they are being silly, but like I said, I spent two months taking an onslaught of insults and bullying from @gayboy, so its going to make me upset when someone supports the cruelty he showed to me and others on this site. But, I understand what you are saying, and you are right. All I ask is that people move conversations to the forums where they are meant to be.

shutup said...
on Feb. 18 2020 at 10:57 am
shutup, J, Iowa
@SergeantSteel82 bro who cares there just trying to have fun a school bc their bored jesus.

on Feb. 15 2020 at 5:15 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

I'm sorry, I was a little harsh, you guys can say stuff like that, but please leave it to a corresponding forum. I was frustrated because @gayboy said some awful things to myself and others not only on this site, but on an article that is against bullying. This site is meant to be a place where any teen can share their art and literature with other teens from around the world. That being said, there is also a good deal of respect needed, even if you disagree about someone's opinion, religious ideals, political beliefs, etc. You need to respect it. Not to mention, that some of the teens are sensitive to inappropriate language or demeaning comments. So please keep that in mind, because everyone should be able to enjoy this site in the short amount of time we have on here.

on Feb. 15 2020 at 4:59 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

You know this site is meant for teens, right? So start acting like one, your comments are fairly immature, and please don't encourage @gayboy's behavior. I spent like two months trying to reason with him.

on Feb. 5 2020 at 10:59 am
IM_ABIGMAnTONINGH, 3, Alaska
@i_eat_Poop_today me to man

on Feb. 5 2020 at 10:55 am
IM_ABIGMAnTONINGH, 3, Alaska
big nuthead

on Feb. 4 2020 at 11:12 am
i_eat_Poop_today, Jhjhjh, Alabama
i loveit so hard yeah

on Feb. 4 2020 at 11:12 am
i_eat_Poop_today, Jhjhjh, Alabama
i eat poop brandon pee