Stand Up | Teen Ink

Stand Up

By Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois
Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

"Unicorns and glitter!" -Flo

Bullying. A word almost every kid dreads. They dread being the outcast. The reject. The person everyone bullies. The loner. Not being good enough or not meeting someone’s standards. Some dread it so much, they take their own lives. A tragic way to die.
If only the teachers had seen it sooner. If only the parents knew. If only the victim spoke up.
Statistics show in 2011 that 60% of middle school students say they have been bullied. Only 16% of staff believed that students had been bullied. They also say that over 160,000 stayed home from school to avoid bullying. 20% of high school students said they had thoughts of committing suicide in the past twelve months in 2011.
In my opinion, these numbers are too high. What can we do to stop bullying? There are numerous ways to prevent bullying.
Statistics show that over 50% of bullying decreased if the school had an anti-bully program running. If every school had an anti-bully program running, it might reduce the percentage of bullying. It would show the bullies how much they hurt the person who they were bullying.
It would also be more helpful if teachers kept an eye on students at all times. Many bullying cases occur on the playground or at passing time. Only 25% of bullied students said that teachers intervened a bullying incident; while 71% of teachers said they intervened a bullying incident.
Another way is to talk to the bully or stand up to them. Tell them how much it hurts when they call you names or physically hurt you. Try to help them understand bullying isn’t cool. Most likely, they bully just to impress their friends.
Tell a teacher or trusted adult. It’s one of the most commonly known ways to stop a bully from bullying you. Don’t worry; you won’t be a snitch or tattle-tale. Tattle-telling is when someone purposely tells on someone to get them in trouble. Just telling a teacher or trusted adult the situation is perfectly fine. It will help you in the long run.
Don’t just sit on the sidelines and watch bullying. Stand up for the bullying victim and let them know they won’t be alone.
Bullying is never, nor will it ever be, a tolerable matter. Together we can stand up to bullying and make it disappear. Poof!

Just a thought on bullying.

on Mar. 13 at 2:13 pm
Ihatebullying1239085, Buena Park, California
Hello it’s me

on Mar. 13 at 2:02 pm
Hello it’s me with the corona virus

on Mar. 3 at 4:12 pm
sergentsteelbad, Newyork, Alabama
@SergeantSteel82 why are you sliver just be steel like your username
go peepee on my cat

on Mar. 3 at 4:09 pm
sergentsteelsucks, Newyork, New York
@SergeantSteel82 go peepee on my dog

on Feb. 18 at 11:23 am
SergeantSteel82 SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana

one of the greatest tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war.
-Francis Collins

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity.
-1 Timothy 4:12, NIV Bible For Teen Guys

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

I know, but its just kind of annoying when even conversations like this should be in the forums, not in the comments. I honestly don't really care that they are being silly, but like I said, I spent two months taking an onslaught of insults and bullying from @gayboy, so its going to make me upset when someone supports the cruelty he showed to me and others on this site. But, I understand what you are saying, and you are right. All I ask is that people move conversations to the forums where they are meant to be.

shutup said...
on Feb. 18 at 10:57 am
shutup, J, Iowa
@SergeantSteel82 bro who cares there just trying to have fun a school bc their bored jesus.

on Feb. 15 at 5:15 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

I'm sorry, I was a little harsh, you guys can say stuff like that, but please leave it to a corresponding forum. I was frustrated because @gayboy said some awful things to myself and others not only on this site, but on an article that is against bullying. This site is meant to be a place where any teen can share their art and literature with other teens from around the world. That being said, there is also a good deal of respect needed, even if you disagree about someone's opinion, religious ideals, political beliefs, etc. You need to respect it. Not to mention, that some of the teens are sensitive to inappropriate language or demeaning comments. So please keep that in mind, because everyone should be able to enjoy this site in the short amount of time we have on here.

on Feb. 15 at 4:59 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

You know this site is meant for teens, right? So start acting like one, your comments are fairly immature, and please don't encourage @gayboy's behavior. I spent like two months trying to reason with him.

on Feb. 5 at 10:59 am
IM_ABIGMAnTONINGH, 3, Alaska
@i_eat_Poop_today me to man

on Feb. 5 at 10:55 am
IM_ABIGMAnTONINGH, 3, Alaska
big nuthead

on Feb. 4 at 11:12 am
i_eat_Poop_today, Jhjhjh, Alabama
i loveit so hard yeah

on Feb. 4 at 11:12 am
i_eat_Poop_today, Jhjhjh, Alabama
i eat poop brandon pee

jkjhhjhjjh said...
on Feb. 4 at 11:07 am
jkjhhjhjjh, Orhjk, Idaho
yum i eat pee to

jkjhhjhjjh said...
on Feb. 4 at 11:07 am
jkjhhjhjjh, Orhjk, Idaho
i eat poop

jkjhhjhjjh said...
on Feb. 4 at 11:06 am
jkjhhjhjjh, Orhjk, Idaho
vdwhjv,wek,v,vrhjdvkhj

smellytoes said...
on Jan. 22 at 11:57 am
smellytoes, New York City, District Of Columbia
@gayboy i support u, and also yall r 6 years old lol you're is the correct word it means you are, not your

bryson-chao said...
on Dec. 19 2019 at 2:35 pm
bryson-chao, Sacramento, California
@gayboy dude you do know your talking trash on a site literally about articles teens wrote, you seem a little immature for it maybe youtube a little more your speed ???

bryson-chao said...
on Dec. 19 2019 at 2:33 pm
bryson-chao, Sacramento, California
This piece is really good it kept me reading and me myself was able to relate which i think some authors would have a hard time doing. Good job it kept me interested do you know any other pieces I should read ?

on Dec. 6 2019 at 11:03 am
mrspaghetti156, Texas, Wisconsin
@sergeantsteel82 thanks it needed to be said

on Dec. 5 2019 at 12:41 pm
mrspaghetti156, Texas, Wisconsin
everyone here is great

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare