Stand Up | Teen Ink

Stand Up

By Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois
Bluekit GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

"Unicorns and glitter!" -Flo

Bullying. A word almost every kid dreads. They dread being the outcast. The reject. The person everyone bullies. The loner. Not being good enough or not meeting someone’s standards. Some dread it so much, they take their own lives. A tragic way to die.
If only the teachers had seen it sooner. If only the parents knew. If only the victim spoke up.
Statistics show in 2011 that 60% of middle school students say they have been bullied. Only 16% of staff believed that students had been bullied. They also say that over 160,000 stayed home from school to avoid bullying. 20% of high school students said they had thoughts of committing suicide in the past twelve months in 2011.
In my opinion, these numbers are too high. What can we do to stop bullying? There are numerous ways to prevent bullying.
Statistics show that over 50% of bullying decreased if the school had an anti-bully program running. If every school had an anti-bully program running, it might reduce the percentage of bullying. It would show the bullies how much they hurt the person who they were bullying.
It would also be more helpful if teachers kept an eye on students at all times. Many bullying cases occur on the playground or at passing time. Only 25% of bullied students said that teachers intervened a bullying incident; while 71% of teachers said they intervened a bullying incident.
Another way is to talk to the bully or stand up to them. Tell them how much it hurts when they call you names or physically hurt you. Try to help them understand bullying isn’t cool. Most likely, they bully just to impress their friends.
Tell a teacher or trusted adult. It’s one of the most commonly known ways to stop a bully from bullying you. Don’t worry; you won’t be a snitch or tattle-tale. Tattle-telling is when someone purposely tells on someone to get them in trouble. Just telling a teacher or trusted adult the situation is perfectly fine. It will help you in the long run.
Don’t just sit on the sidelines and watch bullying. Stand up for the bullying victim and let them know they won’t be alone.
Bullying is never, nor will it ever be, a tolerable matter. Together we can stand up to bullying and make it disappear. Poof!

Just a thought on bullying.

on Dec. 6 at 11:03 am
mrspaghetti156, Texas, Wisconsin
@sergeantsteel82 thanks it needed to be said

on Dec. 5 at 12:41 pm
mrspaghetti156, Texas, Wisconsin
everyone here is great

on Dec. 5 at 12:40 pm
mrspaghetti156, Texas, Wisconsin
idk whats happening but ughhhhh its strange

on Dec. 4 at 12:05 pm
26sheikhibrahima, Columbus, Ohio
this article is great information it help me in ELA alot thank you teenink

on Nov. 15 at 2:42 pm
SergeantSteel82 SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana

one of the greatest tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war.
-Francis Collins

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity.
-1 Timothy 4:12, NIV Bible For Teen Guys

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

I am done arguing about this.

@gayboy, no one wants to read the demeaning and rude comments you put out. They are immature and frankly childish. We are all young adults here, please so start acting like one and make sure this website is enjoyable for everyone around you, because you are being a child and a little bit of a kill joy.

@urbad, the terms and conditions require you to not reveal any locations you frequently visit. So stop revealing @gayboy's, even if your guesses are false, that is his information to hold, and if he shouldn't share it, then you definitely shouldn't.

urbad said...
on Nov. 15 at 11:48 am
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
AND timberview is in fort worth TEXAS :P

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 15 at 11:46 am
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
im honestly done with @ gayboy and his stuff

urbad said...
on Nov. 15 at 11:45 am
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
ik you go to school because you always type around first and second period

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 15 at 11:45 am
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
bye guys

gayboy said...
on Nov. 15 at 10:36 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas

gayboy said...
on Nov. 15 at 10:36 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
go ahead teenink ban me i dare you g a y boi jr got my back

gayboy said...
on Nov. 15 at 10:29 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
@teeninks you are g a y

gayboy said...
on Nov. 15 at 10:28 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
if you know where i am then what is my name by the way g a y boy is just a joke i am not g a y

gayboy said...
on Nov. 15 at 10:23 am
gayboy, Fortworth, Texas
you guys are way off i am not even in a school b * t c h

on Nov. 14 at 1:32 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

I mean it, you should not be able to find information like that, it is an invasion of privacy, and you really should not share it.

on Nov. 14 at 1:29 pm

-Francis Collins

-Voltaire

How did you guys figure that out? This is supposed to be a secure site, and don't tell me how because no one is supposed to share info like that.

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 14 at 12:07 pm
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
no threat

joemama69420 said...
on Nov. 14 at 11:49 am
joemama69420, Atlanta, Indiana
you go to tms and you are in 1st and second period ELA

i found this out with just a few clicks. your also in 6th grade

urbad said...
on Nov. 14 at 11:49 am
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
@gayboy and your in 6th grade

urbad said...
on Nov. 14 at 11:48 am
urbad, Atalanta, District Of Columbia
middle

Smith Summer

Parkland Speaks

Campus Compare