The Apologize of Pope toward The Indigenous Victims | Teen Ink

The Apologize of Pope toward The Indigenous Victims

By DerekCao BRONZE, Bangor, Maine
DerekCao BRONZE, Bangor, Maine

Several months ago, Jason Horowitz of the New York Times reported that Pope Francis apologized for the Christians who had abused indigenous children in Canada. During his visit, the Pope said he was deeply sorry for those victims and asked for forgiveness. When Horowitz related that “Francis said it was ‘right to remember’ on the site of such traumas, even at the risk of opening old wounds,” a personal experience came to my mind, and gave me fresh perspectives.

Eight years ago, I was in elementary school and immersed in pain for always being mocked and bullied by classmates because I was too tall and not studying well. I even wanted to drop out. Then the principal made a presentation to the school, telling of the bullying I suffered. Although he didn’t say my name, I felt extremely awkward, and even wanted to bury my head into sand. However, after that, the bullying pretty much stopped, and I could finally enjoy school life as I deserved, like all students.

Based on my experience, opening old wounds can help when people claim things did not occur. Although victims might be embarrassed to recall the abuse, they will be better after the wrongs they experiences are exposed. It is unreasonable to let abuse and bullying repeatedly happen to children. If society prevents it, I believe all children around the world will live and study more safely and happily. So, I consider that it “is” right to remember past traumas.