What could happen? | Teen Ink

What could happen?

By VanessaReidDowdy BRONZE, Redmond, Oregon
VanessaReidDowdy BRONZE, Redmond, Oregon

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

Sometimes at dusk we would see him come out from the hidden interior of his Island. For years, we had no idea who he was or what he did until one night we never saw him again… I have often wondered where he went or if he's still there. Sometimes I’d see a basket floating away from the island, but not very often did it come back.
Tonight I am curious. After my parents fall asleep, I plan to take the boat and ride to the island. It's 11:30pm. Mom and dad are finally asleep. It’s go time for my scary, yet thrilling adventure.
When I reach the island, it had only been 15 minutes--not as long as I thought it would take. I put the boat far enough on shore it won't drift away.  As I stood standing there for less than a minute, it was too quiet for comfort. No birds, wind, critters, nothing, just…. silence. 
I thought the island was small, but now that I'm here, it seems huge. As I'm walking deeper and deeper into the shadows, I keep finding burnt-up letters, one even whole. I read one and it says, “My Dearest Boy, where have you been all these years? I write everyday.  There is no answer, ever. I'm so worried and wish you'd tell me you were okay; I miss you so much. I love you. -Mom”
My mind starts racing because I've been seeing him for years on this island, millions of questions darting in my mind, “Where is he?”, “Are all these letters from his mom?”, “He must be old.”
  But my main question is this:  How did he get these letters? None of the letters say his name.  They only start with “Sweetie, love, my boy” or “Hey you” with a little heart in the corner.
It feels like I’ve been walking for hours and not finding one thing except those letters. I trip over what looked like a pair of pants and go tumbling down a hill.  When I hit the floor, I looked up and saw a cave. Black as night.
When I stood up, for the first time I couldn't move. My breathing grew heavier, my heart's pounding. What I have just stumbled upon blows me away. What am I expecting to see or find? I find the courage in me to move closer. I grab my phone out of my pocket and turn the flashlight on to see what I’m looking at. I find cut up pictures all over the walls of the cave, but there is one picture that is cut out.  It is of one man, tall, thin, and awkward, but he had no face. I assume the people around him in the photos are his family. Who is he?
I hear a twig snap and instantly try and turn off my flash as quick as possible, dropping my phone into the leaves. When I turned around, there he was… just staring at me. “This isn't real”, I tell myself.  “It can't be.” I slowly bend down to grab my phone off the ground.  I glance at it and my phone screen says,

1:47am
June 16th, 2016
Mom: 13 missed calls, 30 messages
Dad: 18 missed calls, 15 messages

When I look over, police lights surrounding my house, I can faintly hear my mom's voice, “JUSTICE!!” Suddenly, I'm struck in the head.  All I remember is him standing above me.  When I wake up, I’m tied to a tree like I’m some kind of animal. I'm close to the shore and I can hear the water hitting the rocks. I'm squirming around trying to free myself, but it's useless.  It's too tight.  I’m giving myself burns.
It feels like hours have passed. It is starting to get dark again and is quite chilly. Am I gonna die out here? Is he going to come back? Panic spreads throughout my body.  What am I going to do? I shouldn't have come out here. This was a bad idea.
I hear someone coming closer. Should I scream? No. He could kill me. He's standing right in front of me.  He is so close that  I can see his face. He’s… beautiful with perfectly white teeth, blue eyes, pink cheeks, and he has the most prominent cheekbones. But why is he here hiding? He speaks in a dull roar, “Why are you here?”
Shocked he even said anything, my voice unsteady, I reply “I have seen you for years, then one day I didn't. I just wanted to know if you were real..”
  His eyes widen. He says in a panic, “You must leave.” It is as if he’s seen a ghost.. He unties me in a hurry and sends me in the opposite direction of the shore as he’s yelling, “RUN!” Why am I running? Am I running from him? As i'm running, growing more and more out of breath, I can see my house in the distance. When I get to the shore my boat is gone. How was I supposed to leave?  I'm sweating, I keep running, I can't stop. I must have ran around the whole island. This is so unreal and I can't put my finger on why.
Suddenly, he’s chasing me, screaming like a madman.  So many things are happening.  He’s catching up to me! When I look back, I stumble and go face first into the dirt.  He’s right above me, laughing and howling.  He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a knife. I'm screaming because I know what happens next, just like in the scary movies. I am going to die.  Right as he starts going to slash me……
I wake up breathing so heavily that I am almost panting.  I am out of breath and sweating.  I start bawling, because it was so real, but yet, only a dream. My parents burst in and ask if i'm okay. They say it sounded like i was struggling. I'm fully awake now. It was a dream? How was it so real? I will never know what happened to me in that dream.

The End
VRD

Originally this piece was written for my english final but A few of my teachers loved it so much that I decided to do something with it. This is about a girl who goes onto a courious adventure but what happens... 

on Dec. 15 2017 at 5:16 am
Bruvton DIAMOND, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

"They don't think it is what it does, but it do." ~Oscar Gamble

This is a very interesting story! The ending was abrupt, though. I, personally, would have enjoyed it more if we were completely unsure whether or not it was a dream at the end. Otherwise, it was a well-written story, and I can see why your teachers loved it!