Slumber | Teen Ink

Slumber

By UnicornElaine SILVER, Sacramento, California
UnicornElaine SILVER, Sacramento, California

"You have to be fearless to be successful"
-Serena Williams

Have you ever had a moment where you reflected on your whole life , from your first day of school , to your first job , well I have. This happened when I was seventeen , so about four years ago. This moment was the moment I had feared most in my life , even talking about it brings chills to me. I remember it like it had just happened recently.
It was a Friday night when me and my mom had argued , it was over school stuff.
“When I move out you’ll never hear from me again!” I remember yelling these words to her.
“If you’re so excited to leave then leave right now and see if you’ll be any better without me!” My mom shot back these words leaving me at my boiling point. I ran up to my room to pack my stuff. I grabbed my phone along with my charger. When I looked up I saw my older sister.
“You’re not really gonna leave , you don’t have anywhere to go.” she said in a calm, relaxed voice with her arms crossed.
“Watch me.” I reply to her looking down at my charger as I wrap it around my hand.
“Come on you know how mom is, she didn’t mean to say what she said, especially because she’s upset right now.”
“Mia , stay out. This doesn’t include you so stay out.” I say as I grab my stuff to leave. As I reach the exit of my door, also where Mia was standing , she grabs my arm and says,”I hope you don’t regret the choices you’re making right now.” I look at her with gunshot eyes from my tears then I snatch my arm back to free from the grip she was holding me in. As I walk downstairs I can see the slight light from the television. I hear Spongebob playing.
“I just got kicked out of the house , nobody will miss me , it’s just one less person for them to worry about.” I say pretending to talk to myself but I made sure I said it loud enough for everyone in the house to hear. I wait for someone to come and try to stop me. Nobody.
“How stupid that I still have hope in this dumb place.” I think to myself as I open the door to walk out.  When I’m outside I call my friend. After a couple rings she finally picks up.
“Hello?” I hear on the other line.
“Hey Cara. Are you home?” I say trying to hold back the tears that are starting to build up.
“Yes…? Are you crying?”
“No.” I lie , wiping away my tears.
“Yes you are. Come over we can talk about it.”
I remembered walking for about seven minutes reflecting about how wrong my mom was. Before I knew it the sky was as dark as closed eyes. When I reach my friends house I give it three knocks and she opens up. I checked the time and it was 7:48.
“Hey. come in.” she welcomes.
“Thanks for letting me come over Cara. I hope your parents don’t mind.”
“It’s fine. My parents are actually out of town until Sunday.”
When I walked in it felt better then being out there in the darkness. I talked to her about my problems and we talked for about an hour. When we finished talking it was almost ten. 
“Hey it’s getting late. I think I’m gonna head to bed now.” I say along with a yawn.
“Okay just give me a sec. My dog is still outside I have to let him inside.” she replies as she stands up and heads to the door entering her backyard. When she’s outside I examine her house and take time to look at the design her wall has.
“AHHH!!” I yell causing her to run to the kitchen along with Max , her dog. “I-it’s a c***roach!!!”
“Chill out it’s just bug.” she says and picks it up with a paper towel then heads toward the front door to let the bug out. Before she even reaches the door she steps back slowly and whispers , “Get upstairs quietly. When you’re upstairs , call 911.” When she said that I remember being freaked out so I do what she says. I grab my phone and head to the stairs taking Max with me.
“What’s going on?” I question looking at her. When she turns around I could see the fear in her eyes. She walks towards me slowly and says.
“Someone is outside with a gun.” when she said that I became so afraid that I remembered what I did to my mom and wanted to call her to come pick me up. While walking upstairs I could feel fear in the air. When we reach her parents room , the biggest room in the house , we hide in Cara’s parent’s closet. It was a huge walk in closet with door knobs that locks. I look at Cara and I could still see the fear in her eyes. She opens her mouth to say something. “I-I left the back door open…” I look at her in disbelief. If we want to make it somebody’s got to go close that door it definitely wasn’t gonna be Cara with the fear that she already was facing.  As i start to reach for the door knob to unlock i could hear the sound of faint footsteps walking up the stairs. It was too late. Whoever that was , was already in the house.
“Shhh.” i whisper to Cara. “did you call 911?” I ask.
“No , i told you to.” oh no , this was bad. I look around for my phone and find it on top of a pile of Cara’s mom’s clothes and grab it. As I dial 911 on the phone I hear the door knob to the room twist. I could hear the sound of creaking wood as whoever that was walks around examining the room. I look at her with the same eyes I had when I was in my room with my sister. This was the moment I reflected on my life from my first steps to my last step , or so i thought.
“We’re going to make it out of this , alive.” Cara says as she grabs my phone and clicks the phone to dial 911. “You have to come right now please.” Cara says whispering in the softest tone she could. After she says her address to the police i look out through the crack under the door to see the figure of a man. He wasn’t too big , and me being a thick teenage girl with another girl almost the same I knew we could take him on , except that he had a gun. This was a life or death situation and I needed to make it out alive.
“We’re gonna live through this. Is there anything that we can use as a weapon in this closet?” I ask as Cara grabs a baseball bat from behind the clothes.
“My dad played baseball.” she replies as I unlock the door so the man could open it. As the closet door slowly creaked open I jump on top of him and so does Cara and Max. As I begin to punch him Cara stand up and grabs a pen from the desk and stabs him in the leg. I hear him groan in deep dark voice. I grab the gun from his hand and throw it far enough so he can’t reach it. As I continue to punch him while cara holds his arms down i could see the light of red and blue from the window. The police had arrived. I had never felt so relieved in my life.
My parents were contacted and they arrived to the scene as soon as possible. Cara ended up sleeping at my place until her parents came back. The man however turned out to be an escaped mental patient that somehow ended up at Cara’s place.
After the incident me and Cara were still friends but she ended up moving out of the place. When she moved away she and I drifted apart and went our own ways. I am now twenty one years old and in college , living the best out of my life but , ever since that night I have always lived my life more careful as well. I hope this never happens again.

This is a horror piece about a girl and her friends sleepover party.