Unwanted Identity | Teen Ink

Unwanted Identity

By Shannonkathryn SILVER, Oswego, Illinois
Shannonkathryn SILVER, Oswego, Illinois

"Happiness is a journey not a destination"

The longer I run the more I come to the realization I am getting tired. The more tired I get, the easier it is for him to catch me. He is right on my heels as I run. I swear he gets closer and closer with every step that I take. I look back once more and find he is about to lunge at me. He grabs at me and takes hold of my wrist, pulling me down. I get out of his grip and start to stand up. I get less than two steps, when he grabs my legs and pulls me down towards him. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a white rag. He starts to move it towards my face. I try to slap his hand away, but he catches my arm and keeps me from moving. He releases me and, with full force, slaps me across the cheek. It feels like a thousand needles stabbing my face at once.
I learn to obey him right away, expecting him to stop. Instead, he touches the rag onto my lips. I start to cringe and shiver. The world starts to blur. I'm pretty sure this is the reaction he was expecting because he smirks. All I hear is," see you when you wake up, Sunshine." My chance to get away is over. He defeated me. My vision goes completely black. Then my thoughts in my head starts I go blank. Whatever he did to me is working. I just need to....
I wake up to the smell of breakfast being made. It is pancakes, it's been years since my parents made breakfast for me. What is going on? Wait where am I? This isn't my bedroom! I throw the covers off of me, walk to the door and try to turn the knob. It won't budge. I begin to knock frantically. All of a sudden, the door knob turns, I step back and run over to the bed and crawl under the covers. The door opens ever so slowly, and there stands a man. He gives me a blank stare, then smiles at me. I have seen this man before, but I don’t know where. He walks over to my bed, sits on it, and stares into my eyes.
He starts, " Emily, why are you acting so strange?"
I say," My names not Emily. It's Adelina."
"No it’s Emily. Why are you forgetting your name? Are you sick?" he questions.
"No, I am not sick and I am not forgetting my name. My name is Adelina, I think you've got the wrong girl," I say as I scoot away from him. He replies by moving closer. His hand moves over to where mine is sitting. He grabs it and squeezes it.
"Emily what is going on", he says as he leans in and runs his long bony fingers thru my hair. A chill runs down the back of my spine.
I pull away and scream,"For the last time my name is not Emily! I don't know who you are or who you think I am, but my name is Adelina and I would appreciate it if you would call me that!"
He glares at me," Emily, I'm really worried about you. First, you forget your name, and now me. I’m your husband."
I look down at my hand and, sure enough, there is a ring. What is going on?
"Breakfast is almost ready, be down in 5 minutes. I love you" he says after kissing me on the cheek. By his touch of his lips I remember everything. I was kidnapped last night. I was kidnapped by him. He is my kidnapper. Apparently I am Emily now.
I walk out the door and down the hall. There I find him sitting at the table ready to eat he has his fork in his hand and napkin in his lap. Across from him is my plate. I forcibly smile at him and sit down in the chair. I stare at my food, there is no way I am going to eat anything he makes.
I ask, “Can I go outside and get some air?”
He stares at me and says, “No, not until it’s safe.”
I frown. “safe?”
He looks at me. “Yeah, safe.”
I walk back to my room and lay down. When I wake up, and on a table next to the side of my bed is an envelope. The envelop in a crisp blue cursive letting says, “Emily, My Dear Wife.” I grab it and rip it open. Inside is a letter in the same blue cursive lettering.
My dear Emily,
It has been 2 years since I saw you last, before you were murdered by me due the fact you cheated on me. Since I can't revive you, I'm gonna give you a second chance. You will act like the good little wife I know you can be. We used to be such a great couple. I believe we can do that again. I love you so much Emily. You are so beautiful in every way. I bought you some outfits that you would love to wear, and I expect you to wear them.
Sincerely,
Your Husband
There is also a picture of him and a women inside the envelope.
I turn the picture over and it says,"just in case you forgot what you look like. Remember, I love how perfect you look, so I need you to look exactly like you used to."
He wants me to be his recreated wife who he murdered. I tremble at his psychotic ideas. I see a closet across the room and walk over to it. I open the door up and I find at least fix copies of a single outfit hanging. The outfit is a red blouse, a brown skirt, knee high socks, and a pair of dark brown boots. This outfit seems familiar. I look back at the photo and see that is the exact outfit the woman is wearing, and I can assume that this is Emily
I walk into the bathroom connected to my bedroom and I look at the clock and it reads 12:30. I change into one of the outfits and do my hair like Emily in the picture.
He says, “perfect timing! Now lunch is ready, so let’s eat. By the way you look beautiful.” His ice cold hand grabs mine as he leads me to the kitchen table. I sit down. In the corner of my eye, I see something, I see a newspaper sitting on the counter. I can read only a single word on the front and it’s my name. While he isn’t looking, I grab it and run to my room. I shut the door and lock the door.
On the cover of the paper it reads, “Adelina Michell was murdered.” With those four single words, I learn my life here could last an eternity. I curl up into a ball and start to cry. Maybe I won’t ever get out of this hell hole. The only way I can get out of here is if I die, I would go to a better place. I start to hear knocking on the door.
He yells, “Emily, let me in! Now!”
I scream, “No, never!” I run into the bathroom and fill the tub up with water.  This will be the end of my suffering. I climb into the tub and close my eyes. I hit my head on tiled wall repeatedly until my vision starts to get blurry. With one last blow of my head, I fall into the water. Goodbye Earth, See you on the other side.