Unrest Soul | Teen Ink

Unrest Soul

By MikanKit BRONZE, New Haven, Connecticut
MikanKit BRONZE, New Haven, Connecticut

"There's no limit to the sky beside tired wings"

There was a tale from long ago, of a group of men who traveled around the world helping people. No one knows much of them, however, except that whenever someone asks of their objective or destination, the responses varied.
“No where and everywhere are our destination, and nothing and everything are our goal.” The youngest of the four, a 19-year-old blond, had once replied. It was quickly followed by a grumpy comment from the oldest, a scarred 25-year-old, “That doesn’t even make sense.”
“We’re just sight-seeing.” was then said to the one who asked. To that a scoff was heard from the man with a hoarse voice, followed with “No, we’re just keeping this idiot from killing himself.” The hit to the blond’s head answered who he meant as well as who had always been the one to offer help.
Still, that too, would be correct by another member. “Aren’t we just looking for a place to belong?” The last man, known for his cowardly acts and unusual fear of being touched, had said from his place two feet away from his group.
It seems, although they travel together, their motives are all different.
There’s no way to ask them now, as the group disappeared in a small town in which people says they had accepted a request.
This is what may or may not have happened that night...

Music boomed in the distant, from the house two streets away, but other than that there was only the creak of the wooden floor as muddy boots trampled upon it.
“Are you sure it’s here?” a hoarse voice grunted before a thump echoed through the darkness, followed by bounces and slides. It was a web-covered chair that fell, hitting the stained floor as it shattered to pieces.
“Ouch! Watch where you’re walking!” another voice yelled as someone shifted their arm and foot, causing something else to break. It was a flower-pattern glass cup.
“What are you talking about?” said a grumpy voice, “You’re the only one there.” Light was shined briefly on the one near the cupboard before it darted to the spot near the ceiling.
“What’s wrong?”
“Ah- Nothing,” There was a pause. “I just thought I saw something.” It was probably just a trick of the flashlight.
“You’re creeping me out,” spat the one near the cupboard, “Let just get that thing and get out of here.” Another creak splitted the air before a knock and a loud smash sounded. Dried flowers piled among ceramic pieces as murky water puddled and soaked into the soiled carpet that laid under the dining table. The dining table was surrounded by four chairs, though one was now in pieces.
“Found it!” A fourth voice cheerfully yelled, holding the object in the air, ignorant to the fact no one can see, “Now we can get out of this creepy house.”
“We wouldn’t even be in this creepy house if you had not agreed to get it for that old couple.” Commented the grumpy voice as light circled the room before landing on an old album a young man held. “Why didn’t they come get it themselves anyway? or get that son of theirs to do it.”
“Maybe they’re scare.” the hoarse voice scoffed, “Cowards they are, just like the two of you - I’m the only one with guts.” He couldn’t see the annoyed faces, but he could imagine them well enough.
“I’m not scare neither!” His eyebrows creased, though not from the light that still rest on him.
“You don’t count idiot, that’s why I just mentioned three.”
“Whatever.” The cheerfulness was gone as the male stood up, light following the discolored book he now held close to his chest; almost at the same time, something else fell but didn’t shattered.
“Would you guys stop breaking stuffs?!” The grumpy one snapped, darting the circular light around in attempt to find the source.
He froze as it landed on a teddy bear resting on the floor, its arms and legs spread out. Small, bare feet poked out from where the light ended.
He moved the light up as his companion inched away from where each formerly stood.
“What are you doing?” Light reflected too well off the pale-skinned girl, highlighting the wide, green orbs that were her eyes. Her thin arms held in the air as though she did not realized the bear had escaped her hold.
“W-W-What are you doing here l-little princess?” His eyes couldn’t ignore the bright red splashes on the girl’s clean, white dress.
“What are you doing with that?” Her eyes bore into him, or more specifically, the book in his hands. “Are you taking it away?” The girl stepped forward, her foot passing through the stuffed animal as though it was not there.
“Are you taking it away..?!” Two more steps forward. “No. No.. Don’t! Don’t take it away!”
“Don’t take my family away!” screamed the girl as she jumped, arms stretched out for the book album.
The young man lost his balance as the fading girl went through his body, before disappearing. The book remained in his hand. 

“H-Hey, are you okay?”
“Never been better.” The male smiled gently, his now green eyes reflecting the light casted upon him. They used to be brown.