Reverse | Teen Ink

Reverse

By onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other
onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other

Mankind’s fate depended on God.

“Smack!” A tough fist struck his pale face. He staggered back a step as he regained his balance. His head was facing the ground, trying to cool his burning eyes. He clenched his fist but didn’t make a move. He knew that the best thing he could do was just stay still and quiet. Thinking back on happy memories helped him to relax. He simply blocked his ears from the crap they were speaking.

His name was Silver: he was known as the problem child in town. However, he didn’t make any trouble with anyone or cause problems at school. His grades were actually above the average and his looks were nice, though he was an outcast. He was not an outcast because of the difference of his personality or appearance. If he had any fault, it was that he had a power - a very special one; the ability to see the future in dreams. It was either God’s gift or curse, but no matter what, he was bullied. The first time he discovered his power was at the age of seven. As a boy, it was just cool to know the day before he lived it, yet, its inevitableness made his life boring. All he could do in his dream was just watch and he saw and experienced the exact same things when he woke up. He told other people about his ability. Some were astonished, some scared but either way, they left him; including his friends. Eventually, he had no friends in his high school.

He fell on his back by a strong force thrust on his chest. They kicked him, and then left the dark alley hurling insults at him.
“If you don’t have a thousand bucks here by tomorrow, I’ll have every single part of your body cut off in to pieces!” they shouted as they walked away.

“Idiots ...” he muttered, trying to stand on his feet. The sullen sky, full of black clouds, was moving away from him. A small grin couldn’t leave his mouth, because during a short nap in school, he had seen their faces. He also remembered that he had seen billions of other people’s death after the bullies. For a long time he had wanted for the world to break down. He thought that if he was the ruler of the world, he could do better than the current leaders of the world.

An old, ten stories, brick building was his home. His parents had separated about the time he discovered his power. Since then, his father had become an alcoholic. His mother left him and her husband without a word. He had no idea why she left, but he turned all the blame to his father. He hated him, abhorred him.

Silver walked up the fusty staircase that led to his home on the tenth floor. He snuck into the sty. His father was snoring loudly on the sofa in the living room. Silver went to his room and locked the door and threw his body on the bed. Through a window next to his bed, he could see the city light coming over from a hill, a border between the slum and the city. He rested his body on the bed, wondering if the dream would really happen.

God was on rage at a small, black pest. The six legged pest was covered with a solid shell. An apprehensive and merciless finger was raised from the brutal hand of god. Then the god crushed it. With a terrifying shriek, the pink-brown organs spurted out from the crack in its shell and flew in all directions. The pest writhed in agony for a moment, but soon became quiet. The god called his white servants and walked away like he was done with his job. All of a sudden, he was zoomed into a piece of the organ. There was a tiny opaque white egg. When he found his original sight again, he noticed that it was actually all over the place. The pest has died, but spread its offspring.

“Boom!” The explosive sound from far away caused Silver to wake up from the strange dream. He guessed that the sound had come from the city. Suddenly, he remembered the time he went on a trip to the city with his mother. People waving in and out of buildings, gigantic screens, variety kinds of fashion and a ball of ice cream that he dropped. He gently closed his eyes trying not to lose his memory.

“Boom!” Another wave of the sound approached, but this time with a weak earthquake. He ran and stood right next to the door. There was a moment of silence, and then some people ran screaming outside. It was definitely happening. There must be some relations with those two dreams; the killing pest and people dying. He rushed to the roof. It was a perfect view that explained what was happening. A burning cylindrical meteorite was falling from the sky, emitting light like the rising sun at dawn. “Indeed, a finger of god” he shortly nodded.

When the meteorite seemed to have touched the ground, the trees in the hill danced. There was a gust of wind. He quickly grabbed on to a metal rod stuck on the roof and lowered his body as much as possible. However his strength was inadequate to hold himself from the gust. He flew in the air for a second and rolled on the roof until he bumped against the waist-high wall surrounding the roof. It brought the smell of the sea and metal. He took a refreshing deep breath.

People were running out of their houses. There was chaos. The streets were full of honking cars and selfish peoples running over others. A mountainous wave rose from behind the city and was slowly moving towards his town. The bright meteorite made the wave look like a wave of fierce fire. It soon covered his sky, making a dome of water around him. It was wonderful. He felt like the time stopped in that moment.
The wave swept the whole world away.

Silver woke up in an empty, white room. He saw a blurry shape of a human from distance. It was an angel. Three pairs of wings covered by white feathers, bright halo and its white toga proved that it was an angel. The angel was wandering around like it was lost. Then, people started to appear from nowhere, one at a time. It created an interminable line of people; all having their chins up to the hovering angel and dressed as if they were trying to look good for the angel. A golden scale and a burning sword were held on each of its hand. The angel floated to one of the person near him and put the scale right in front of the face. It seemed to measure some kind of personality. Nothing was put on the scale but it tilted to the left. The angel shook its head as if he wasn’t the one it was looking for. Then its burning sword rose high up in the air and cut through the crown of the head of the person. Instead of the head breaking apart, the head burnt into a handful of ash and mixed with the atmosphere. The headless body fell on the ground.
It was almost his turn. Silver rolled his eyeballs at the angel to observe it. Suddenly he got a weird feeling, which made his both legs weak and tremble. It turned its head and silently stared at him. When it came in front of his face, he couldn’t control his body. He knelt in front of it. It was wearing a smiling mask. Every part of his muscles contracted in an attempt to move his two legs. However there was an invisible force that held his feet down.

He was lying on a muddy puddle, on the slope of the hill. A headache made him frown. The first view that came into his eyes was the ruined city. Though, it was not completely ruined, only a third of the tallest building was under the water. Besides, the city he thought was ruined was actually still firm, but it was just covered with dirty sewage water.

Silver’s sensitive ear responded to a sound of a person, walking with a limp. All his weight depended on a wooden stick. He was exhausted. Silver stood still and waited for the person to come near him. He knew who he was. So many times, he saw and heard him, now he could identify him just by the sound of breath. In a feeble voice he asked. “Please help me. Do you have anything to eat?”

He was one of the bullies. Silver burst out laughing. Then turned around and kicked the stick away. The bully looked so weak and small like a little butterfly. He felt like he was going to win if they fought.

After a moment, Silver found himself lying on the ground and the bully pressing down on his chest. The bully was stronger than he thought. He was absolutely going to lose or even die, since the world had failed. He just watched the bully’s fists coming down on his face and felt the pain. He was stuck.
“Is this what you saw in your dream?” The bully stopped hitting and asked.
He noticed that this was not what he saw in his dream.

“Wow, I’ve never seen anyone with this much power.” He continued. “I usually end up achieving small things, not like destroying the whole world.”
The bully spoke as if Silver was the cause of this disaster. He didn’t understand how he managed to have survived when he died in his dream.
“I actually have similar ability to yours.”
“What? Then, why …”

“Why I bullied you?” He looked up in the sky and answered the question with a little smile. “Because I am special, no one else can have the same power as me!”

It was almost a shout. He stared at Silver sharply and lifted his bruised fist again. The fist was looking for the weakest spot on his face. When the fist was just about to touch his face, he closed his eyes but only a drop of warm liquid was all he felt. A dog, which came out of nowhere, was biting on the bully’s arm. The dog growled. Silver saw this as a chance to get away and tried to flip his body around and to get out. He could drag his body out of the locked position. The bully shouted in pain and grabbed the dog’s neck with his free hand, trying to take it off. Silver, now out from under him, dashed in and kicked his temple. The dog then let the bully’s arm go free and jumped to bite his neck. The impotent bully’s face was showed his agony. He struggled to lose the dogs jaw, but he was too weak. He tried to say something but every time, the dog’s fang burrowed into his neck more deeply.

The sweetness of retribution was sweeter than honey. The dog followed wagging its tail. It came to him and sniffed around him, then sat in front of him and looked up to his face. A name tag came in to his sight. It was with the dog’s leash. “Pass?” he asked himself, trying to understand it’s meaning. “Was fighting with the bully some kind of test?” He talked to himself, but the dog barked as it could understand human language. He went down the hill with his new companion.

The dog led him to a viaduct, connecting the hill and a small building in the city across the water. It was at least fifty meters long and made only of long rope and wooden board. The dog’s deft feet allowed it to go over the precarious bridge. Beneath the bridge, vivacious waves made a giant whirlpool. With an urgent heart, he took a few steps, but when he looked down, he was overwhelmed by the waves. Then his sight slowly became white and he fell on the bridge.

“Is this the angel, again?” He thought. Without warning he was in the white room again. The angel came to him and started talking. “You are very fortunate kid.” Around it, there was a pile of headless bodies. “What happened to them? Are they real people?” Silver asked, looking at a body similar to the bully. “It nothing you need to know,” its authoritative voice made him unable to rebut. The angel kept on talking. “My pet liked you more than anyone else. I chose someone else but my pet insisted on choosing you. Maybe it saw your latent abilities.” The angel paused for a second. A crack began to appear in the white room. It told that he was waking up. The angel turned to it back and continued. “I’ll give you a mission to complete, which is a reason I kept you alive.” He had an ominous feeling about the mission. He wanted to ask “Why do you need human to do such things? Aren’t you powerful enough to control things that happen in the earth?” but his mouth was physically closed by some force. The angel opened its mouth. “My pet will now find giant eggs, and I want you to break them no matter what you have to do. I you don’t, you’ll be punished by death.” The cracks in the room grew and the angel began to fade away. “Don’t disappoint me; I will give you a right reward when you succeed.”

He was lying on the other side of the bridge. The dog started moving. Silver followed as fast as possible but the distance kept increasing. In the water, there were gigantic fishes swimming around. They were looking for the eggs that were covered with pink colored piece of flesh. When they found one, they swallowed it. The egg was quite a bit bigger than the size of a normal person. It looked exactly like his dream.

The deeper he went into the middle of the city, the buildings grew taller and also the fog shrouded thicker. He had to run to catch up with the dog. It was not in his sight most of the times, but sometimes appeared in the distance to show him the way.

He saw the dog bumping against an egg. He ran towards it. It was his first time seeing an egg that close. He also tried to break it but it didn’t work, it was too strong. He didn’t know why but he did as the angel told him.

“Splash!” The egg fell deep into the water. Fishes then came and swallowed it.

There was no sign of any human being. “Is this really the end of the world?” he thought. Then he couldn’t achieve his goal of ruling the world. If there was nothing to rule over, there was no point.

When he finally reached to the very center of the city, the tallest building stood right in front of him. It bored a hole through the cloud. The gate was opened widely and on top of it, there was a sign. “Lebab”, it looked like the name of the building. Inside, there was a five-passenger elevator. The dog went to the elevator and he followed. There were only two buttons; “G” and “1”. He pressed on the ‘1’ button. It didn’t take him to the first floor but it went up to the very top of the building, above the clouds.

“Ding!” After a while, the elevator stopped and told him that it had arrived. When the door opened, the dog dashed out. Then Silver saw something, a human, a girl, inside the egg. Their eyes came in contact. The girl’s eyes cried out for help. When the dog’s body touched it, it turned opaque. Everything happened in an instant but he saw it. He knew that the dog couldn’t break the egg but kept on bumping on to it to cover his eyes. The part of ceiling right on top of it was broken. There were sharp small and big piece of glasses on the floor. The entire room was surrounded with glass and he could see the clouds underneath through it. He stood in front of it and stared at the egg.

The dog stopped bumping against it. He looked up at him for a second then, transformed into the form of the angel that appeared in this dream.

“You have failed to complete your given task.” said the angel.
“Is this what you were trying to do?” Silver asked in an angry voice.

“You don’t know anything. Those things inside the eggs are not human; they are parasites, which gnaw upon everything.”

Silver was confused about what to believe; his eyes or the angel.

“Now if you don’t have any other questions move aside.” The angel took out his sword from the air.
When the angel lifted the sword, Silver interrupted by standing in front of it.

“No, I need more explanation.” He couldn’t just let it go, because he couldn’t believe the angel and she could be the last human on the earth. The angel grabbed his neck. “I’m not killing you now because I have some more things for you to do.” said the angel. The angel threw him away. However it was a deplorable thing to keep him alive. The angel faced the egg and was about to strike the egg.

“Zap!” A sharp piece of glass dug into the heart of the angel from the back.

“I will be the ruler and I will not listen to you!” Silver shouted as he tucked in the glass deeper.

“What…” Blood dropped down from a corner of its mouth. The angel transformed back to the dog with a weird scream. The dog lay on the floor, dead. Silver put his hand on the opaque egg. It was warm. Then it began to become transparent again slowly. He could see her again. He looked up to the sky and laughed. His desire has been achieved. Furthermore, he has saved the humankind.

He was god.