Escape | Teen Ink

Escape

December 20, 2014
By Stephanie_Langham BRONZE, Abingdon, Other
Stephanie_Langham BRONZE, Abingdon, Other
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Words have the power to create and destroy."
"Give me a pen and paper and watch me turn the world upside down."


As you walk past the neat brick house with church arched windows and a bright red door, you can’t help but to stop and stare.  To stare into the happy window, just to gaze upon the faces of the people you used to know so well; the warm welcoming environment of a caring family, full of love and care for each other...but not you.  Your heart breaks when you see her.  She had four inch high heels and a jet black ball gown on with her let-down, almost black, navy blue hair (that was no match for her black heart) was curled as if for a special occasion, however, only for a simple dinner in a simple bungalow.  Though her smile, that tortuous smile of hers was an innocent trap that only the weak-minded and foolish could fall for.  But you could see the hidden truth that pierced everyone’s heart so cleanly to be the secret unsatisfaction that betrayed your kindness.
You manage to catch her eyes as she glances out of the ached window.  Uncomfortable with your threatening eyes glaring at her, she closes the silk curtains but looks for a moment through a small gap at you.  “I hate you!” You mutter to yourself although aiming at her.  She looks to the floor as if feeling a slight sympathy but you did not buy it.  Not one little bit.  Your hatred for her burned like as like an eternal flame, fierce and deadly.  You know that it looks could kill, she would be dead a many times.  The slight gap closes and depression clouds over like a tsunami, striking to leave you empty and alone...once more. 
Though the dim hatred spreads throughout you, you know that locked up, deep inside there is a toxic chemical of kindness towards her.  However, it would only ever be released when you stand by a church, in black with engraved stone reading her name and a coffin laying in a hole of emptied dirt and soil.
As the street lights brighten, you slowly walk back down the lane but end up where you always end up.  Rain is now pouring down, although, the bridge shelters you while you unroll the large stone guarding a dark entrance by the small river.  It reveals a secret cave with minimum comfort as you lay down you head, but on the other hand, as the rain beats down inconsistently, you are just glad to be out of the rain and the icy wind.  Soon the inconsistent rattle of the water against the rocks managed to lullaby your head into a troubled sleep. 
Normally, your dreams are filled with love and happiness and without her.  But not tonight.  She comes from behind you and tempts you into the cold wet and she pulls you down.  The mossy coral slips from your grasp as she takes you further.  Down and down.  The air is no more.  Water fills your lungs as you try grabbing for air.  You startle sharply back to reality but realise not much is different.  The fast current is washing you under.  The depth grows as you splutter for air but none comes.  The water traps you under.  Your muscles loosen, your eyes close and soon you are just another body, lost and forgotten in the water...
Gasping for air, you open your eyes, only to be greeted by the blinding sunlight, welcoming you back to life again.  The soft green grass comforts you as you try to re-catch your breath from the rude awakening from mother nature.  Your mind, lost in a daze of confusion and utter weariness, swirled around a many thoughts of unanswered questions, uncontrollably wondering the mind of the lost girl.  But as you take in your very green surroundings, one question is always there, “Where am I?”  After moments of laying on the strange, apple smelling grass, you decide to go exploring for more human companionship and answers to the mystery of how you are still alive.  There is a forest nearby and you feel as though it may lead somewhere, somewhere where love and kindness lurks.
The sun had dried most of your clothing and your eyes had adjusted to the beaming sunlight, but as you walked into the gloomy forest you found you could not see a single thing because of the difference of light.  But soon your eyes could see again although it was so dark it was close to the same as when you could not see.  After a while of aimless walking, you feel that you are not getting anywhere fast.  As you turn round to walk back you find that darkness has overcome the sunlight from where you began but it was the same in front.  You walk further into the darkness and as you look up you are able to see only glimpses of the fading sun through the dark green tree leaves.  You trip and clumsily fall to the forest floor. 
A tear-stained and scuffed photograph lay on the muddy ground by you.  You stare at the happy faces of lost memories.  So much love, so much happiness, lost in the blink of the eye.  It was like a movie, when there’s a glitch and a bit is skipped; the bit with all the information. And when go rewind you cannot find it again.  It is as if it has disappeared off the surface of the disc.  As you stood up and shuffle your feet, you suddenly feel weak and heavy as if you were carrying a large sack of bricks up a vertical mountain.  However, it was only a slight slope and you weren’t carrying anything. 
Darkness soon begins to trigger your mind and plays with your imagination.  You hear laughter, you hear anger and you hear disappointment.  The earth begins to spin at a rapid speed like a teacup ride, the only problem was you had nothing to hold onto.  You block your ears but it’s in your head.  A long scream escapes your lips and clenched teeth.  Fear strikes you and you begin to run.  The trees grab your ankles and pull you down and you fall once again to the wet, soggy ground.  You salvaged photo goes spinning with the rest of the world..  You try to grab it but it just keeps getting further and further away from you.  Then you notice a slight gap in the trees and you take a giant leap to try and save your last memory.  But you miss and see it escape while you fall down, down, down.  STOP.  Everything has stopped.  The laughter is faint now, whispers, whispering your name.  You are finally glad to hear a kind voice, no matter how suspicious.  Slowly, you open your eyes, careful not to scare the kind voice.  You see a white figure.  Her face is beautiful yet she has a see-through, flowing body.  Standing up to face the whispering singer, you stare enchanted by her beauty deep in her eyes.  Your hand slowly reaches forward but this startles the white figure and she disappears.  In her place are now black figures shouting at you.  You spin round to see more and more.  They are closing in at you and something cold touches your shoulder.  A shiver goes down as you automatically spin round to see the ghastliest figure ever.  There is silence as you fall to the ground, eyes closed.
You have finally escaped this haunted world.


The author's comments:

I wrote this as a short story but at present I am developing it into a novel but I would like to get people's opinion and any advice for this piece, whether that be something that happens in the novel version or your personal opinion.  This would be of great use, thanks.