The Witness - Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

The Witness - Chapter 1

November 1, 2014
By Rae_Cobra GOLD, Altamonte Springs, Florida
Rae_Cobra GOLD, Altamonte Springs, Florida
10 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We are destroying the world. We should fix it. We are killing our planet. We should revive it. We are not doing much to help the people. We should do more for the people. We are always fighting. We should try loving." -Rae Cobra


Prologue

Many children at the age of six don’t witness something that’s against the law. Many children at six years old go to school and socialize. Many children at six years old don't have to go to court. . .

 


Chapter 1
Catelyn

 

Beep beep. I rolled over to where my clock was and pressed the snooze button. I was worn tired and my head ached like heck. I turn my head and look over to see it was 6:30am. I groan again and lay in bed for a few minutes, thinking about what had happened twelve years ago, exactly on this day and precisely at this time.

 

"Mommy? When will Daddy be home?" I complain, snuggling into my bed covers. "He never gets home this late."

"Don't worry sweetie," my Mom said in her gentle voice. "He'll be home soon to say good night." She leans over my bed and gives me a hug. My last hug I would ever get from her.

"Mommy?" I said again. "Do you and Daddy love each other?" My Mom looked at me in surprise.

"Of course I love your daddy Catelyn. Why wouldn't I?" I tilted my head. I could tell my Mom wasn't telling me the truth. I could tell in her eyes she was doubtful.

"Good night my sweet kitten. I love you." Mom left my room and softly closed the door. Those where the last words I heard my mother speak.

 

After getting my zombie-like body out of bed, I quickly dress and go to the kitchen, where so many good and bad memories lingered.

"Good morning," Dad said, sipping his cup of coffee and reading the Sunday newspaper. "How did you sleep?"

I shrug, and turn my back to him, facing the counter. Does he even remember what he did so many years ago? Yes, he probably does. They said that he changed so they let him out. But I know he hasn't changed. I know he's like a ticking time bomb just waiting to explode. I finish making my breakfast - eggs and bacon - and sit across from Dad. I pretend to be occupied by the tables surface, but in reality I just don't want to look at my Dad. Quickly, I finish my breakfast, wash my dishes, and leave the room without a word, all the while feeling my father's burning gaze on my back.