The Midnight Train | Teen Ink

The Midnight Train

By MorningStar921 PLATINUM, Cheshire, Connecticut
MorningStar921 PLATINUM, Cheshire, Connecticut

"They made their own choice. They chose family. And, well... isn't that kinda the whole point? No doubt - endings are hard. But then again... nothing ever really ends, does it?"
--Chuck, 'Supernatural' Episode 522

A train chugged along silently in the night, carrying two passengers alone; only one of the two was among the living, the other simply an empty vessel abandoned by its owner.

Outside, the harsh winter chill nipped at the air fiercely. The moonlight, obscured by heavy storm clouds, shone faintly only through a small break in the sky, illuminating the lone train roaming the desolate countryside. In the distance, a knell rang out, lonesome in its singularity. The single living passenger cringed inwardly, all the while cradling the dead man. The sound echoed back and forth, a morbid dissonance chiming a sad, soft cry for mercy. Only, mercy did not exist in this world, a world where even the sound of the wind sounded like a dirge. It had been beaten into nonexistence by the violent fist of society, replaced by a cold blood lust that could never be satisfied.

As the eleventh hour drew nearer and nearer, the train came to a sudden halt beside a field of lilies. The flowers seemed to mock the small boy as he fled the icy interior of the train, only to be slapped by the sheer brutality of winter’s fury. The boy did not bring the felled man with him.

He fought back bitter tears as he trudged through the field, the only soul within miles. Each lily, exactly the same as the last, was only a callous reminder of his bleak past and all the wrongs yet to be made right. And then, in a clearing, there sat a beautiful rose, its thorns sharp and lively. As he drew closer to the rose, the little boy noticed that each petal was stained a silky black, the color of the night sky at midnight. Gently, he bent down and grasped the blossom’s stem in his exposed palm, wincing at a sharp sting; a thorn had caught his finger, drawing a trail of blood. A single drop of his vitality gleamed on the tip of the thorn before dripping onto the moist soil below.

Carefully this time, the young boy yanked the black rose from the ground and cradled it in his hands. It was the most beautiful thing he’ ever had the pleasure of seeing, even considering the fact that it had already been tainted by a world he vowed to leave behind. But as he stared in wonderment, the flow of blood from the jagged cut on his hand grew greater, and as the petals made contact with the red liquid, they began to wither and die. Before long, the rose was a shriveled pile of foliage, forgotten over time.

The boy was now gone, like he had imploded and blown away with the wind. All that remained was a single drop of blood in the middle of an empty field, a scar in the dry earth that not even time could heal at this point.

A train chugged along silently in the night, carrying two passengers alone; only one of the two was among the living, the other simply an empty vessel abandoned by its owner. A knell rung sorrowfully, and the young woman on board clung on tighter to the motionless form beside her.

I’m so sorry, she thought contritely. I’m so sorry.

History repeats itself... alot. And more times than not, it's the dark things everyone wants to forget that reoccur, not the rare acts of virtue.

on Jul. 29 2013 at 1:57 pm

--Chuck, 'Supernatural' Episode 522

I'm glad you liked it and that you picked up on the symbolism. I was hoping that someone would.

on Jul. 28 2013 at 7:13 pm
TargonTheDragon GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri

First dentistry was painless.
Then bicycles were chainless,
Carriages were horseless,
And many laws enforceless.

Next cookery was fireless,
Telegraphy was wireless,
Cigars were nicotineless,
And coffee caffeineless.

Soon oranges were seedless,
The putting green was weedless,
The college boy was hatless,
The proper diet fatless.

New motor roads are dustless,
The latest steel is rustless,
Our tennis courts are sodless,
Our new religion — godless.

thos was definetly good. i love the symbolism. this writing style is a favorite of mine.

on Jul. 23 2013 at 3:37 pm
theporcelaingirl BRONZE, Austin, Texas

"Don't point the blame when you can't find nothing, look to yourself and you might find something..." Sleeping With Sirens

My book In my Mind is now a novel!!! If you could check it  out, that would mean a lot!!!!

on Jul. 20 2013 at 11:35 am
theporcelaingirl BRONZE, Austin, Texas

haha :D okay

on Jul. 20 2013 at 9:19 am

--Chuck, 'Supernatural' Episode 522

Oops I meant let me KNOW when it gets posted

on Jul. 20 2013 at 9:18 am

--Chuck, 'Supernatural' Episode 522

Let me now when it gets posted.

on Jul. 20 2013 at 9:17 am

--Chuck, 'Supernatural' Episode 522

I'll have to go check that out right now!

on Jul. 17 2013 at 10:26 pm
theporcelaingirl BRONZE, Austin, Texas

Hey! Okay so I just posted the first chapter, I added more hehe. I hope it posts and will let me add more!!! Oh and it has a TOTALLY unexpected twist lol. I also posted a reply on in my mind for you :D

on Jul. 15 2013 at 9:32 am

--Chuck, 'Supernatural' Episode 522

Ok. I'd love to help you! And your work is really good too!

on Jul. 14 2013 at 3:31 pm
theporcelaingirl BRONZE, Austin, Texas

Oh.My.Goshhhhh. This is soooooooo gooooood!!!! I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is soooo...like OMG words can't describe how good this is!!!! You are truly amazing. Please keep writing!!!!! And please check out the comment I replied to you on my book "In My Mind"! I actually need a little help if you won't mind.....