Colours | Teen Ink

Colours

January 11, 2013
By BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
2 articles 2 photos 21 comments

The night air was cool on my face, the breeze ruffling my hair. It was a clear sky so the moon was fully visible. For such a peaceful night, anyone could have been fooled into believing that it would continue that way.

It was late when I came downstairs. About 12.30. But I just could not sleep because if I did then the nightmares would come.

The fresh air cooled me down as stepped onto the cold paving stones that led to our small garden. So small. Too small. My feet made their way down to the grass and I sunk down onto it.

Digging my toes down into the soil felt comforting. Like I was rooting myself into the core of the earth. So that I was more in control. At peace with the world. Almost.

There was a menace in the air however. One I couldn’t ignore. And one that pierced it’s way into my brain, bringing lingering thoughts into clear view. I sighed. So not even the soil, the earth and the cool breeze could stop the horrors. A shiver ran down my spine that had nothing to do with the cold night. My breath came out in little water droplets, that lingered in the air before evaporating in front of my eyes. I automatically rubbed my arm, a motion I made out of habit while feeling particularly vulnerable, and winced as I reached the burn. I could feel more memories rising from the part of my brain that I tried to permanently shut down.

The world span as pictures flashed before my eyes…

Red. Colours have always been important to me, being an art enthusiast. But this colour is one that, to this day, I have not been able to keep out of my thoughts. It has a whole new meaning when you have been through what I have. Red. Before that night, it was just another colour, one that I frequently used. Now it is the one that I relate to everything bad that could ever happen in this evil world.

Red. A wolf howls in the distance. I spin around. Nothing. I could have sworn that I heard her. Her screams. Red. I could not stop the memories flooding back. It was no use. So I gritted my teeth and let them come.

Red. My sisters screams. The hurry, the rush to get out of the door before the house collapsed. The swelteringly hot wall of fire, jumping up and teasing us. Red. My father rushing back to get my sister. Me, running in after him. Mother holding me close to her, screaming at me too stay. Red. Pulling away from her. Pushing father back outside the burning wreck. Running to my injured sister. Red. Red. Dragging her out but not in time. Red. Red. Flames engulf me runs back inside with her life. House collapsing with me in it. Red flames. Red heat. Red fear. Red pain. Red. Red. Red.

My own screams were the last thing I heard before I passed out.

Black.

Black.

Black.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 19 comments.


on May. 12 2013 at 6:48 pm
E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
19 articles 2 photos 145 comments
This piece was wonderful. Besides the two misspelled words I found, this piece was flawless. I loved the poetry of it, and felt all of the emotions the narrator was trying to get across. Very nice work.

on Feb. 23 2013 at 7:46 am
BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
2 articles 2 photos 21 comments
I'm glad that there are more writing nuts than just me! I like your suggestions, especially about picking out colours from the garden. Thank you for your feedback!

on Feb. 23 2013 at 7:44 am
BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
2 articles 2 photos 21 comments
Thank you! I think the grammar error was acidental! :)

on Feb. 3 2013 at 4:32 pm
thegoldenllama BRONZE, Cupertino, California
2 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
猿も木から落ちる。

Nice use of repetitiong for the colors red and black, it adds a nice touch to the story and I can easily relate to how the main character is feeling. Oh, and I found a small grammar error. :) The 'too' in 'screaming at me too stay' should be 'to' , but it isn't obvious. Anyways, overall great job! I wish I could know what happened after that fire... :O Haunting in a way.

IMSteel BRONZE said...
on Feb. 2 2013 at 7:07 pm
IMSteel BRONZE, Wallhala, South Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 128 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Learn from Yesterday, live for Today, hope for Tomorrow" - Albert Einstein

"Brevity is the Soul of Wit" - The Which

It is very good, you definately have a talent for writing.  The whole thing was good, I only have a few suggestions:  First of all, it could use the slightest bit more description, you have very good description here and there, but maybe add a little bit more...maybe, to show how attune she is to colours, on the first part describe her picking out colours around the yard, and then describing what it is that colour is on.  Second suggestion: the end is a little stuttery.  I can see why you did it that way, and it would be good that way if you added a few more words to it.  For instance: Instead of, "Me, running in after him," try, "Breaking away, running wildly after him."  Otherwise, this is a very good story, and I look foreward to seeing more of your work on Teen Ink, keep writing! PS. I've ben writing since I was little too. 

on Jan. 26 2013 at 6:18 am
BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
2 articles 2 photos 21 comments
Thank you!

on Jan. 26 2013 at 6:18 am
BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
2 articles 2 photos 21 comments
Thank you soo much for this! You have no idea how sweet this is:)

on Jan. 26 2013 at 6:16 am
BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
2 articles 2 photos 21 comments
yeah a few people have said that:)

on Jan. 26 2013 at 6:15 am
BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
2 articles 2 photos 21 comments
thanks, now that i have read i back i see where that is confuzing! 

on Jan. 26 2013 at 6:09 am
BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
2 articles 2 photos 21 comments
Thank you for your feed back!

on Jan. 22 2013 at 7:46 pm
lucybrown SILVER, Blacksburg, Virginia
7 articles 0 photos 112 comments

Favorite Quote:
The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

First things first, but not necessarily in that order. ~ From Doctor Who

I really like this this!  I especially liked the repetition of red towards the end of the piece.  The beginning drew me in immediately, and you do a great job depicting the emotions the character feels.  I really liked the imagery in this piece as well.  There are a few minor errors, for example in the last big paragraph, my sisters screams, should be my sister's screams, but other than that, you did a great job with this.  Keep up the great work!

on Jan. 19 2013 at 9:09 pm
Apollo77 PLATINUM, Brunswick, Ohio
20 articles 0 photos 103 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”
"Madame, all stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you."
-Ernest Hemingway

interesting-in a good way. I like the emotion-the last paragraph confuses me a little, but the description is wonderful and emotion is great.

on Jan. 19 2013 at 5:35 pm
Sketched97 PLATINUM, Silver Spring, Maryland
31 articles 4 photos 167 comments
I really like it. You convey the emotions well. It could use a little bit of minor editing but otherwise it's great.

on Jan. 19 2013 at 1:28 pm
In_Love_with_Writing GOLD, Easton, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 389 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Whoa that sent me into a whole range of emotion! This was so good. You said in the thread not to judge you too harshly, but you are FANTASTIC. There was no need to worry because I like this soooo much :)

on Jan. 19 2013 at 12:50 pm
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
17 articles 0 photos 495 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

Very haunting and chilling. I was into it to the end. Very good!!

on Jan. 18 2013 at 1:55 pm
BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
2 articles 2 photos 21 comments
Oh yes I have realized that now that you mentioned it! Thank you!:)

on Jan. 18 2013 at 1:38 pm
Emma-Riley PLATINUM, No, Other
44 articles 0 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Take my hand i give it to you, now you own me all i am, you said you would never leave me, i believe you, i believe..."
-Flyleaf

this is really good! i love it alot, good job! one thing though....  The world span as pictures flashed before my eyes… you said this, but span is like a length... i understand what you're trying to say though! "the world began to spin as pictures flashed before my eyes..." might work better though! other than that, good job! (:

on Jan. 18 2013 at 1:11 pm
BeccyFxx BRONZE, Harrogate, Other
2 articles 2 photos 21 comments
Thank you very much!! xxx

on Jan. 18 2013 at 12:47 pm
XXxSilentHopexXX, Mullins, South Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Take a deep breath and think before you act."

I like this! Very good work! =D