The Missing Key | Teen Ink

The Missing Key

August 5, 2011
By Kaylaboo GOLD, Omaha, Nebraska
Kaylaboo GOLD, Omaha, Nebraska
15 articles 69 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Music is...a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. -Ludwig Van Beethoven
A woman is like a teabag, you don't how strong she is until she is in hot water. -Eleanor Roosevelt


The Beginning


It was a sunny day in London; London, England that is. August fifth, and at this point in time, Charlie was in the family den tossing his baseball up and down, up and down over and over again. His dog Rufus lays lazily on his feet under the freezing air-conditioner. Charlie’s father notices this and calls to Charlie from his office, “Why don’t you take that dog of yours on a walk, it’s a nice day out.” Charlie just grunts as a reply and starts tossing his ball again. Rufus takes that as a sign for play time and starts to waggle his tale excitedly. To occupy his dog, Charlie tosses the baseball across the room. Rufus runs across the den and into the hallway, the hallway with the nice breakable figurines. Rufus flies into the small table and knocks it over. Shards of the crystal figurines fly in every direction, landing with loud cracks on the hardwood floor. Charlie’s mother hears all the commotion from the kitchen and rushes to the hallway to see Rufus lying in the pile of china. At seeing the destroyed crystal figurines she yells at Charlie, “Put the dog outside and go to your room. I want it to be spotless, and we will discuss the rest of your punishment later.” As Charlie leaves the room he spots his father coming out of his office to try to comfort his disheveled mother.



He solemnly trudges up three floors to his bedroom after putting Russ in the backyard. After reaching his room he saunters over to his bed and falls into his blue and black blankets. Charlie stares at the ceiling, not wanting to get up and clean. Right after he finished that thought he received a text message from his best friend Josh. He replied ‘I’m bored too, but I can’t hang out today. And I probably won’t have my phone later ‘cause I got in trouble.’ After replying to Josh he started to think of how odd a pair him and Josh were.

Charlie with his blond hair, blue eyes, and perfectionist parents and Josh with his black hair, deep brown eyes, and seemingly normal parents. They had been neighbors, having lived across the street from each other for the last five years.(Josh and his family moved to London from Spain five years ago.) The “Beep! Beep!” of his phone broke through his thoughts. Josh had replied with an “OK” and “Later.”


Since his mother would be up sooner or later to check on his progress and confiscate his phone, he decided to get to work; but first he took out his phone’s battery and put it in a dresser drawer. He thought he would start going through his closet for starters.

The author's comments:
This is just a rough draft of a piece I might to for a written project.