Response to Tell Tale Heart | Teen Ink

Response to Tell Tale Heart

May 18, 2011
By KellyEmilie BRONZE, Alfred, Maine
KellyEmilie BRONZE, Alfred, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments

The man, He was an odd man, He was the caretaker for me.I’ll admit I’m was getting old and needed some help around the house and I thought he would be perfect for the job. I thought wrong.

It all started when I went to bed on that terrible night, The man had been very nice, Maybe a little to nice. I went and did my hygiene things and then got dressed and headed to bed. I slept for a few hours and then woke up by the squeak of my old door. I looked quick to make sure I didn’t miss anything. A head was peeking into my doorway, It was the man, That odd man was trying to watch me sleep. I turned away from him as I head the old door lightly close, He was trying not to wake me, But it was too late for that. I tried to fall back asleep as I made a mental note to fire him the next day.

The next day I went opposite of my feelings for the man, When I awoke he had made me a breakfast platter of Waffles, Toast and Jam and some Scrambled Eggs. I thought to myself “Making me breakfast to apologize for being a Peeping Tom? I ate thanked him and went to my daily routine like normal, But little did I know today would be far from it. After I was done playing some cards in the living room I decided I would go to bed early tonight sine I had barely gotten any last night. I had been asleep for several hours when heard that awful squeak of the rusty hinges on my door. I sat up as fast as I could “Who goes there?!” I yelled at him with all the power in my still sleepy body. No answer he just stood with that lantern in his hand not looking at me. I sat and looked at the man. I lay back down on my back and close my eyes. Out of nowhere he turned on the lantern with a tiny streak of light, It shone right onto my false eye He shuddered I could tell by the small noise he made then left in a very quiet unnoticeable manner.

It wasn’t long before he was back, maybe 20 minutes and he was standing there. I noticed immediately and sat back up and stared at him. He ran over and grabbed my neck and threw me to the ground, “This is the end.” I thought to myself, “He is a madman and he’s going to kill me.” He forced the bed frame on top of me as he struck me once in the head with his lantern. I zoned out. And before I knew it, he was gone, I was beaten and had a bed frame tacking me to the ground and there was nothing I could do. I just let nature take its course.


The author's comments:
I wrote this response to Edger Allen Poe's The Tell Tale Heart. Enjoy(: