The Creation | Teen Ink

The Creation

By ZackaryKnockel BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
ZackaryKnockel BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

The rain pounds down on the roof, my heart races as my eyes drift open I look around in a hurried panic. 

“Hello? Is anyone there?” I say with a rasp in my dry voice

“Ah you're awake and just in time no less” A voice mumbles followed by footsteps clambering down the long dark hallway.

Just before the voice approached I tried to take in as much of my surroundings as I could. I scanned the dimly lit room to see a table on my left covered in a dark thick liquid and surrounded by tools of all kinds. In front of me was a long dark hallway with that man swiftly approaching, almost excited. To my right there was a tarp covering another table. I couldn't tell what was beneath the tarp but whatever it was it was large. The man approached, his yellow smile pierced the darkness like a dagger and his giggle shot down my back.

“Where, where am I? Who are you?” I said 

“Oh don't worry about that questions are…fruitless this time.” he said with a grin on his face

He held a lantern that helped illuminate the room and gave me a clearer view of the room. The walls were made from dirt. We were very clearly underground, the man made his way to the table and said.

“Tell me, are you fast? Are you smart?”

“I…I think so yes” I say in crippling response

“Hm unfortunate maybe my toy won't get to eat after all” he replied

“Your toy? What are you talking about” I asked

He without saying a word went over to the tarp and lifted it. What I saw can only be explained as pure horror. It was A goats feet crudely sewed together with a man's chest and a bulls head. The man grabbed a syringe and stabbed it deep where its heart would be.

“Well I suppose this could be goodbye…for you anyway, the gate of your cage will open soon goodluck HAHAHAHA” He cackled whilst running up the stairs

“I waited struggling to open the cage door without taking my eyes off that table, when the door finally opened I looked at the table full of weapons and decided I wouldn't need one. 

As I was about to run up the stairs I heard it, the subtle breathing of that thing. I looked to my right to see it standing fully at attention ready to tear me apart. I bolted up the stairs to see the stars above me except when I looked around I saw hundreds of turns and corridors. It was a maze. I took off with no direction taking every turn I could as with every step I took that thing took 5. I ran through the winding trails of the maze looking around to see what must've been fifty separate body parts thrown and thrashed around the walls of the maze.

I finally was able to make some distance from that thing and sat down to catch my breath. I sat there in thought and realized that this was an elaborate poke at the story of the minotaur. I looked around to notice that the walls of this area of the maze were high enough for me to climb up but I decided against it as I was rather tired. I sat there almost drifting asleep when I heard a familiar sound, the sound of those things breathing. Before I could react to run away it grabbed me by my head and threw me against the wall. 

Everything was dark for a long long time. I was conscious but I couldn't move. It felt like years before I was awake and when I awoke I was greeted by that man in that room but this time I was the one on the table looking at a young man in a cage just as I was. 

“Catch him and you will be free” The man whispered in my ear.

And without a moment's hesitation I began my hunt.

I am 17 im a senior in High School and I wrote this story challenging myself to take a twist on the classic minotaur story