Judgment | Teen Ink

Judgment

By Morixy_ GOLD, Shanghai, Other
Morixy_ GOLD, Shanghai, Other

All the pain of humans is essentially anger at their own imcompetence.

“Alas, what a poor little boy.” Lucifer erased his fingerprints on the bloody knife, and threw it out of the window, “Don’t be afraid. I won’t hurt you.”

The boy looked at Lucifer with two defensive eyes like an alert kitten staring at a stranger, his face expressionless.

“Your parents are dead now, although I’m not sure if they deserve the word “parents”. Anyways, they can’t torture you anymore. You are safe now.” So, Lucifer continued wiping off his fingerprints, cleaning his footprints around the house and fixing his curly black hair.

Then he turned to the boy and smiled radiantly, “Well, if you have nowhere else to go, you can come with me. I got some children like you.”

The boy nodded slightly, still emotionless, as if nothing could arouse ripples in his heart.

When they left the apartment, it was already deep dark. Night stars were twinkling as if they were telling indescribable stories. Lucifer lit a cigarette, the only warmness remaining in this gray city, and drove single-handedly while the boy sat quietly at the back.

“You are quite different from the other kids I saved. They were either relieved or frightened, but you didn’t seem to express your feelings. Hey, are you a robot?” Lucifer smiled and turned back, “Whoa, you don’t look well. Your face is as white as a ghost. You might have a fever.”

He immediately stopped the car beside the sidewalk, opened the backdoor, and stroked the boy’s forehead.

Burning.

“Jesus.” Lucifer murmured, covering the drowsy boy with a blanket and placing a pillow beneath his head, “Sleep. You will be fine soon. I bet no one has ever taken care of you like this.”

Then he laughed at himself bitterly, “We are somehow similar. The only difference is that I was my savior.”

“Sir, look at my painting; it’s us!” “Look at this teddy bear, Sir! I made it myself!” The children surrounded Lucifer as soon as he arrived home, boasting about their new artworks.

“Calm down, you little monkeys, let’s welcome our new friend! Uh, what’s your name?”

“They call me William.” The boy seemed to be impressed by the scene. His face showed some changes.

“Lovely. This is your home from now on, Will.” Lucifer patted the boy’s shoulder and turned to the rest kids, “Just as usual, party tonight!”

“Woo-hoo!”

During the party, the kids surrounded William with their most enthusiastic welcomes.

“Hi William! I’m Roger. Nice to meet you! How did you meet Sir?” A boy with deep red hair looked exceptionally social, “I’ve been living with him for about two years. He took me away from two tyrannical adults and bought me the first ice-cream I’ve ever had.”

William smiled and nodded, showing that he was listening.

Roger continued, “I still remember as if it just happened yesterday. I was forced to send a kind of mysterious white powder to an oak tree, and there I met Mr. Lucifer. He was the nicest person in the world! He bought me ice cream and told me that if I stayed there and waited for him, I could eat as much ice cream as I wanted.”

“I agree!” A little girl joined in the discussion, “I was so afraid when I first saw Sir killing my parents, but after I got to know him better, I have to say he is the best person in the world. He is my savior!”

He seems to be a great person, thought William, and he seems to understand me.

Soon it was night, and Lucifer hastened the kids to bed. The children went to their rooms happily and noisily, except for William, who did not move.

Lucifer turned to him and said, “Alright Will, time to sleep. I’ll show you to your room, and I got some clothes and toiletries there for you too.”

William followed Lucifer and asked, “you said we are similar. Why’s that? When did you start doing this?”

Lucifer paused for a second, and kept walking, as if his sudden stop was only in a dream, “Well, why do you ask this?”

“Because we are in the same family now, and I love you, like all the other kids. I want to know more about you.”

“Interesting,” Lucifer laughed and answered, “but I don’t think you’ll want to know this.”

“I do. I’m sure.”

They’ve arrived at the boy’s bedroom, and William stopped between the door and Lucifer. His expression clearly shows that he wouldn’t move a step unless Lucifer tells his story.

“Okay, okay.” Lucifer smiled, “Actually there isn’t anything important to tell. Well, I killed my parents when I was sixteen. First, I hit their head with the back of a kitchen knife. Then, I chopped their heads apart. Next, I set the dirty house on fire, and escaped to this city. Finally, I changed my name and appearance. By the way, my original name wasn’t Lucifer, and my hair used to be deep blue. As a result, I tried many jobs and moved around a lot. Until, I had forgotten about what I did trying to live a normal life, until two years ago.”

At this point, Lucifer’s smile gradually disappeared, “I saw a little boy crying in the middle of a street, naked, and his body completely covered with ferocious wounds. It was as if I had seen myself. Then, I led him into a shop, and he sobbed about his story and begged me to help him. The two figures coincided—him and me. Next, I just went to his home, killed his parents too, set fire to hid the evidence, and took him to my house. Excellent, another crime committed.”

William remained silent, pondering. Then, finally, he opened his mouth, as if wanting to say something but didn’t.

“And so, that is the beginning.” Lucifer smiled again, but this time, William saw something different. Desperate, pain, and regret. “What a nice night story, isn’t it? Good night, little Will, sweet dreams.”

He immediately turned, and William watched his back as he walked away.

“Lu…Lucifer!” William shouted urgently, “You didn’t do anything wrong. I am grateful, and I love you.”

Lucifer stopped for a moment, and then continued walking away. His wispy voice drifting, “Thank you, William.”

After that conversation, William had a new impression of Lucifer, who pretended as nothing had happened. Under the children’s enthusiasm and Lucifer’s loving care, William soon acclimated to this new home, in other words his first home. William had never experienced a warm family environment. Although he loved the wonderful and energetic kids, he enjoyed chatting with Lucifer even more. Yet, he did not know why. Perhaps Lucifer was like his binary star., for they were alike. They shared similar experiences and similar views toward the world. The only difference was their reactions to them.

Saturday morning, several children were playing with blocks. Behind them, the television was broadcasting, “In the past two years, a male serial killer with curly black hair with the code name K has been continuously murdering parents and taking away their children. Some evidence shows that these parents have been abusive, but still, murdering disobeys the sacred law. Therefore, the following information is still being collected…”

“Time to have breakfast, kids! Fresh toast with bacon and sweet milk!” Lucifer turned off the television unnoticeably with a wide smile.

After everyone took a seat, Lucifer knocked the table lightly and said, “Kids, I’m gonna send you to a lovely place. There are a lot of children to play with, and there are toys and ice cream. Soon in this week.”

“What about you, Sir?”

“Yea, what about, Sir? Are you coming with us?”

The children blinked their innocent eyes at Lucifer.

“No, kids, I got my own business.”

“Why are you sending us there, Sir?”

“’Cause I can’t afford your food anymore.” Lucifer joked.

“Sir, you are lying!”

Lucifer watched them romp, smiling as usual. He noticed William sitting quietly, his eyes staring at him like two questioning knives, which he intentionally ignored.

That night, after everyone slept, William knocked at Lucifer’s door.

“Come in. I knew you would come.”

“Why?” Asked the boy as soon as he walked into the room.

“Look at these stars.” Lucifer didn’t answer, just pointed at the night sky, “How beautiful. When you see them, you’ll think of me, living happily in a world without violence and sacrifice.”

William remained silent, as if he understood.

A long time after, he said quietly, “I know what you want to do, and I disagree. However, you don’t need to do this. What you did was completely reasonable.”

“Reasonable, but not justified.” Lucifer threw his hands open and stared at them, “My hands. They are full of blood. I’ve never seen my crimes as justice. No one has the right to sentence others to death, no matter how evil those people are. Yet, I had no other choice. However, these hands are stained with blood and will never be clean again.”

“Listen. You saved my life. You taught me how to be a real human being. For this, you deserve to live in this world.”

Lucifer smiled and shook his head, “Thank you, Will. I’m glad to hear this, but I’ll be happier if I am no longer living. I want to die. My only wish is that you guys live a good life.”

When the police came, the children had already emptied from the house. Only Lucifer stood in the middle, with two bags beside him full of toys and clothes.

“Don’t worry. I won’t escape.” Lucifer raised his two hands playfully, “Do me a favor, send these two bags to the Spark Orphanage, for the kids.”

On the day Lucifer was to be executed, he saw William outside of his cell. “What are you doing here?”

“We settled in the orphanage quite comfortably, and it is really a nice place.” William avoided the question.

“Sure, I have a great taste. You didn’t answer my question, Will. Why are you here? You can’t change my mind. Please stop trying.” Lucifer’s eyes could as if look through William’s mind.

“Let me look at you for the last time, then.”

“I know what you’re thinking about. C’est La Vie. The world needs someone to play the bad guy’s role, and I don’t want to bear this cross anymore.” His clothes were tattered, his hair grimy, but his smile still wide.

This smile is different. It is from the heart, thought William, He really is relieved.

Although William had prepared so long, he still felt an invisible hand clenching his heart when he heard the gunshots.

Empty. Something is gone.

At midnight, he sat on the balcony, his legs hanging off the edge, looking at the sparkling stars.

“Are you happy there?” He whispered, “Is that a nicer world?”

Silence.

He continued, “I’m afraid, sir. Funny right? I wasn’t afraid when I saw you killing them or viewing their bodies spitting. But without you, I am afraid.”

He lowered his head and stared at the crowds below.

Jump. He heard his mind shouting. Jump!

Suddenly, he heard Lucifer’s voice echoing, “My only wish is that you guys live a good…”

I can’t. This is something I must overcome. Be brave William. Be brave.

Eventually, he stepped back, and whispered to himself, “One person is enough. As long as there is one person in this world that supports my existence, I will try my best to live.”