The Snack That Smiles Back | Teen Ink

The Snack That Smiles Back

May 11, 2022
By lee_y_erica BRONZE, Norwalk, California
lee_y_erica BRONZE, Norwalk, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Two officers inched their way into the aquarium, holding their flashlights steadily and scrutinizing every corner of the room. The police had received multiple calls regarding missing visitors in an aquarium, but there was no evidence of any crime or leads on any suspects. As the officers crept their way to the goldfish tank, they detected a strange sight: no sign of any fish, but rather small, strange bits floating around. Taking a closer look, they fell back, shocked to learn that the “floating bits” were actually pieces of torn-off skin. Occasionally, a few fingers and toes would emerge, reinforcing the severity of the situation. After making emergency calls for reinforcements, the two ran to the top of the tank to further investigate. 

“I’ll hold you, but be careful.” The officer grabbed his partner and then accidentally grabbed a piece of loose wood. Splashing into the water, they were forced to abandon their belts to stay afloat. However, as they noticed the belts sinking, they identified strange items buried under the stones that lined the tank. One officer made his way down and started digging up the stones, barely recognizing the mutilated bodies of the missing victims. He darted back up, grabbed his partner, and the two swam frantically for the nearest escape path. Yet, before they could, they noticed a giant car-sized goldfish in the corner smiling as it swam towards them. The officers took a faster pace; however, one was too slow. It opened its mouth and devoured the man whole. The once-deafening screams slowly died down, and the distinct sounds of crunching bones strangely boomed in the water. Before long, the killer goldfish was finished with its first snack and was ready for its next. The surviving officer witnessed it spit out a very cleanly-decapitated head before it smiled and slowly approached him. He knew there was no escape, and so he closed his eyes and accepted his fate as dagger-like teeth painfully impaled his flesh and bones. 

Shortly after the goldfish enjoyed its two filling snacks, the late reinforcements barged into the room, pointing their flashlights up and down to observe their surroundings. However, as they hustled past the goldfish tank, they were unable to spot the heads of their colleagues lined up neatly on display on the stones, greeting them for their unfortunate fates.