A Night of Terror | Teen Ink

A Night of Terror

By dmboles BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
dmboles BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina

It was october 31st, 1957, the day was full of kids running around the neighborhood cheering for candy in their silly costumes. All day Richard could just think about the night he had ahead of him. At the moment he was sitting behind a table with all his neighbors giving candy out to all the kids in the neighborhood. He lived in a small cul de sac so they decided not to waste anyone's time with them going around in a circle from door to door so they all had their candy on one table and let kids grab candy from each of them at one time. Richard was supposed to be home and in bed at 11:30 PM tonight, that was his curfew. However Richard had made plans to hang out with his two friends Jim and Ricky who were coming by to pick him up later that night. Richard was told to wear all black so they could sneak around in the night and scare people. It was about 11:00 PM when all the neighbors began to pack up the table and the candy at the table to go inside. Richard was inside safe and ready to go to bed at 11:30 PM and was sitting in bed staring at the ceiling waiting for his alarm clock to hit 12:00 AM so he could sneak out and meet Jim and Ricky. The clock struck midnight, and the bells from the loud dangling clock downstairs rang and rang and no one awakened so he knew the coast was clear. He snuck out of his office window, climbed down the back wall and sprinted across his backyard to get into the woods. He was told to hike about a mile through the woods to the other side of the forest to get to the road where Jim and Ricky were waiting. He started on his walk. The trail was a locally known path that had been raked out but consisted of many roots and rocks that were hazards. He knew the trail well, but it was dark at night and couldn’t get a sense of where he was. After walking for about five minutes, he started hearing random leaves crunch near him and did not think much of it. Then, he heard a noise he recognized, it sounded like a whining baby.

“Hello! Is someone there?” He yelled

Waiting for his answer, no one replied and he kept walking. As he was walking there became more crunches of leaves and he heard someone yelp for help loudly.

“Where are you? Are you okay? Do you need help” he yelled loudly to try and find where the person in distress was

“Help! God please help!” was all the person kept repeating loudly in pain.

He kept walking and found the voice that was calling for help. He didn’t recognize the voice that was yelling for help but it sounded familiar. When he got to the person in distress he quickly realized it was Jim. Jim had planned to try and play a prank on Richard but tripped and fell on one of the roots on the trail. 

“So was that you with the whining baby noises?” Richard asked Jim

Jim then responded with 

“What baby noises?”

Richard Immediately was worried for his life and told Jim about the noises and Jim said

“Oh no. We gotta get out of here!”

Richard and Jim immediately start running to the car where Ricky was supposed to be waiting. They found the road and parked on the street down the road was the car with the headlights blaring in the dark night. They approached the car and the driver's side windshield had been smashed in and Ricky’s cold, dead, mauled body sat in the seat. Richard and Jim immediately screamed in despair and saw a plastic baby whining in the passenger seat. From the back of the car, a huge person in jeans and a flannel appeared wearing a baby mask. He had Ricky’s blood all over him and he cranked his chainsaw and chased Richard and Jim into the woods. Richard totally lost Jim in the dark forest and was sprinting down the pitch black trail in the middle of the night. He tripped and fell over one of these enlarged roots and immediately was not able to walk. The killer in the baby mask soon stood above him with his chainsaw spinning and lowered it down to Richard’s face. Richard screamed for his life and the chain tore through his skull and blood flew everywhere. This community trail was shut down and people nicknamed it the trail of terror and this legend of the killer in the baby mask would haunt it forever.

My Name is Davis, I am currently a junior at Middle Creek High School in Apex, North Carolina and this story was a class creative writing assignment that I felt like I took to the next level. This story is similar to how I spend halloweens but added a very mysterious twist onto the end and I felt that it was very interesting.