By Dawn | Teen Ink

By Dawn

By dreamcloud_016 BRONZE, Kuala Lumpur, Other
dreamcloud_016 BRONZE, Kuala Lumpur, Other

"Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear. "
"Spark is fine, as long as it's contained. "
- President Snow; The Hunger Games

The fireflies danced around the pond under the pitch black sky. The cold wind blew the long, spiky grass. An old wooden bench stood by the pond, occupied by two people - one looked frail and pale, the other taller with broad-shoulders. 

“I’m freezing,” the girl said as she shuffled closer, pulling her thin jacket tighter around. 

“Hang on Nat, he is going to come any second,” the tall boy reassured the girl as another strong wind blew. Josh could hear Nat’s teeth chattering uncontrollably - poor thing. She was ill after eating homemade prawns with some beans, which worried Josh as she had never been so ill before. He wrote a letter out for someone who could heal her and thankfully a guy wrote back to him stating that he would meet them by dawn. It was nearly dawn now, and Josh was anxious that he would not show up. Nat was shivering from head to toe, her hands were already turning blue, they could not wait any longer. Josh standed up and looked around again, wondering if the guy had lost his way through the woods. 

Five minutes later, Josh spotted some movements around the pond. He looked up and saw a dark, man-shaped silhouette. As he got closer, Josh could see that he was short and had dirty brown hair. 

“So what do you need for me to help?” He spoke with a false grin. Josh realised that his teeth were yellow and small. Josh explained Nat's sudden illness after eating prawns and beans to him. 

“Oh, that’s easy. I’ll heal her in no time. But, I may need some tips to get it done,” The guy said after hearing Josh’s concern. 

Josh was startled by the reply the guy gave, he thought that the guy would heal Nat immediately. 

“By healing her, I would need strength, and you need to give me … money so that I can heal her!” He bellowed impatiently. 

Josh was astonished, he came from a poor family and did not have any money on him. He tried explaining this to the guy, but he only became more impatient. 

“You must give me money or I’ll make your life difficult!” He threatened once more. He could not wait anymore and could feel himself changing. He threw a punch on Josh’s jaw and shoved Nat out of his way. He grabbed Josh and slammed him on to the ground. Nat tried running away but she did not have any strength left. She crawled away but the guy was faster. 

Paul smirked at the scene he had left behind - Josh and Nat’s body were lying lifelessly on the ground before him. He humped and turned away, into the woods. If you don’t give him what he wants, he’ll make you pay for it.