In the Head | Teen Ink

In the Head

November 14, 2020
By Argenti BRONZE, Dayton, Ohio
Argenti BRONZE, Dayton, Ohio
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“ The world is neither fair nor right, but it has it's ways of balancing itself.”
― V.E. Schwab, A Gathering of Shadows


 The ground within the forest was cold, laced with frost that illuminated under the moon's light. Fog lingers along the trees, already barren and dead for the season. The moon peeking beneath the clouds to light the cool ground, all before tucking away. All is silent in the night except for the few footsteps, breaking the cold rocky ground. 

"I wonder how much farther we have to go? This forest never seems to end!" A girl shouts into the woodlands. 

 A key around her neck, the girl bubbly hops across the gray ground. Her eyes manic as she dances around her companions. Silver flashes by as she weaves in between the trees, poking her heads about. A taller, slimmer figure nods to his companion. He nods as quietly as the night. The other companion, a thinned woman huffs in the air. Placing a step forward into the darkness. The girl, a bit dismayed at the silence, takes leads following the same path,

"Elliot, what do you think we'll find this time?" The girl askes, breaking the noiseless barren trees, wilted flowers, and frosted pathway. 

 The older woman turns and looks at the younger girl. A smile on her face, nodding blankly at the child. Still mute. The silver-haired girl skips alongside her companions. 

"Well, I think we're going to see the ocean. I always hoped that we could run on the sand and feel the misty breeze of the waves. We can play until the sun dips below the sea! Don't you think that would be wonderful?" 

 The taller boy nods, his pale gaze off, focused in the distance of the hallowed woods. The girl springs, like a puppy in the snow, before stopping to stare at a flower. Plucking it smoothly and placing it to the boy. 

"Here Percy! I think you'd like it! Remember the time we went to the waterfall? Or the time we went to the beach? Ooooh, I haven't felt the sun in forever!" She hands the flower to the dark-haired boy. A bit of light slimmers in his eyes but keeps walking. The girl drops her gaze.

 The three continue along the wondrous road. The breeze picks up a bit, moving the spiraling branches. Yet, the forest is quiet except for the hummings of the girl. 

" Now that I think. I think the valley would be fun. But I want to find my locket. Have you seen my locket Elliot?" The girl stops to stare at the old woman, her wispy white hair being carried by the wind. 

Elliot seems to give a slight nod. A nod that no one could decipher if it was just the movement of walking, or acknowledging the girl. The elderly lady staring off, seeming to look off into the distance. 

Skipping ahead, the girl continues carelessly swinging her arms, clinging to the frosted flower. The woods, like her companions, are quiet. Not noticing her words. 

“ Do you know any good jokes?” Another question breaks the silence. Bored with the quietness, “ have you heard what they call a lost wolf?”
Silence, none of the figures speak.
“ A where-wolf!” The girl giggling at her own joke. 

 Elliot seemed to smile, though falling flat again. The older woman’s pace remained the same, leaving barley a trace on the path. The girl tumbled over, laughing and laughing.

 After stealing her laughing fit, the girl looked around. Her companions had left. No footprints in the pale path. Well there was no path. There was no grey, windy forest. In its place with pale green, dusty walls and a ceiling with uniform tiles. Stumbling upwards, the girl’s hands were tied. Then she screamed.


The author's comments:

 A story drafted orignally in script form that was going to be animated. I hope you enjoy and have a wonderful day~