Amnesia | Teen Ink

Amnesia

By DK9978 SILVER, Papillion, Nebraska
DK9978 SILVER, Papillion, Nebraska

"When it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark look for stars." -Theodore Rosevelt

After years of endless work, I finally did it. I made a computer that can remove, change, and add memories. The possibilities with my invention are endless. However, the machine was untested. Sure it gave the user full control of the patient’s thoughts and actions, but what became of them after the influence was still yet to be seen. However, with the threat of discovery, there’s no time to waste. I look over to my patient struggling against the straps holding him in place.

“Hold still while I finish connecting the transmitters,” I commanded. While he did stop, he stared back at me with cold, judgmental eyes that could burn holes through stone. I turn back to my work, but I could still feel them. I look at my equipment. His vitals are fine, and my computer is busy turning his brainwaves into codes that I can process and manipulate how I see fit. Over the years, people have questioned my methods with human experimentation. Some call it mad, I call it effective. I look back at my still struggling subject. I didn’t give him another moment to struggle before flipping the switch. At that instant, my subject went limp. The smell of fried flesh and computer chips filled the air. The codes on my computer are now replaced with a blank, blue, screen. It displayed one word. Error. I’ve made a huge mistake. Knowing that there’s nothing left to do with the failed experiment, I began the procedure to dispose of him. What a waste, I thought, he held so much promise. Suddenly, to my surprise, he took a deep breath. His eyes slowly opened and looked around in confusion. I looked back at my computer and smile. It says Error because there are no codes. Nothing to access. He's essentially a blank slate. Maybe, this experiment isn't a waste after all.

DK9978 SILVER said...
on May. 9 2019 at 6:42 pm
DK9978 SILVER, Papillion, Nebraska

@The_Patato_swan I'm glad you liked it! This is actually a shortened version of a story that I've written. The longer version goes more in depth in the characters and the circumstance. The longer version also has a couple "sequels" that continue the story some time after the events of Amnesia. Now that I know that people like my work, I might publish these stories as well.

on May. 9 2019 at 11:14 am
The_Patato_swan, Greenfeild, Indiana
you should add on to this its a really good story but i kinda want to know what he does to the "patent" after he woke up