DUST | Teen Ink

DUST

By cadepur BRONZE, New York, New York
cadepur BRONZE, New York, New York

Luck. Runs. Out.

Leo sat on a bench outside of the farm house. He stared at the sunrise, it was bright but  beautiful. All different shades of red and orange. The bright yellow ball rising up from trees below, into the soon-to-be blue sky.

He sighed and sunk into the bench, admiring life. He thought about Connor, and where he might be. Anywhere. Dead, even. Alive, maybe.. but where? He pulled himself up and stood straight up, proud that he might have a chance at this being his home.

Lancer walked out from the house to Leo, shovel and rake in hand. "Morning, Leo. I told you yesterday, but lets get to it." Lancer said.

Leo nodded. "Where are we planting?" He asked, looking at the farmland.

Lancer walked over to patch of dirt and nodded. "Dig out straight lines, about 10 feet towards the barn. He stuck the shovel and the ground and began digging straight lines. He dug two and stuck the shovel into the ground, keeping it stiff. "Do three more of these, and come inside when you're done." He said, walking back towards the house. He turned around and watched as Leo began digging. "After breakfast, I'll get the seeds and we can plant from there."

Leo forced the shovel into the ground, and dug the last line out. He tossed the dirt into a pile next to the line and pulled the shovel up. Looking at the road, he started walking towards the house as he admired the land.

Leo rest the shovel against the side of the house outside. He opened the white painted door and walked inside, shutting and locking it behind him. Leo watched as Adam pulled himself down the stairs. "Morning." Leo greeted, smiling.

Adam smiled. "Morning." Adam replied. "We gotta leave today. I don't know when but get ready to try to convince him to let us stay." 

Leo had a confused look. "What, why?" He asked.

"I don't want to leave either, but he said we could stay the night, but we have to leave today. Kinda sucks, but he was generous enough to even let us stay."

Lancer walked over to the main staircase, where they were and smiled. "Breakfast." He said, as he walked back to the kitchen. "Toast and Oatmeal," Lancer shouted from the kitchen, coughing afterward.

They both walked over and sat down at the table, grabbing napkins and utensils. It was silent and awkward with nobody talking.

Lancer brought out the meals, and handed them to Adam and Leo. He sat down, and ate his own. It was a silent and awkward meal until someone spoke.

Leo finished his oatmeal, setting it down on the table. "So Lancer, uh.. when do we have to get going?" He asked, as he set his spoon down.

Lancer finished his toast, and wiped his mouth off with the napkin. "Remains undecided. You two aren't as bad as I thought you'd be. I thought you two would kill me right when I came out," Lancer said, eating the last bite of his oatmeal.

Leo stood up and brought his plate and bowl over to the kitchen. "Kill you? What?" He asked, sounding nervous and concerned.

Lancer grabbed his food items and brought them over to the kitchen as well. "Yeah. It's gone to shit out there. People are killing each other. These creatures aren't the only problem." He said, putting his bowl and plate in the sink. "Whenever you two go out, be careful. Or you will die."

Adam looked at his food as he finished. "Lancer. What were you saying about bites?" He asked, narrowing his eyes. 

The old man sighed and rested himself against a counter-top. "The biters, as I call em', they eat any living thing they can find. Animals, and us. If one manages to cut you with its fingernails, or bites you.. you're dead. Unless you amputate the limb before it has time to spread into the blood flow. That rarely happens cause there's never enough time. Just try not to get bit." Lancer explained, setting a deep tone to his voice. "If you get bit, it'll start with a fever, I believe. Then overtime you turn. Into one of them. One of the biters."

Zombie Apocalypse excerpt, near middle of book.