The voice | Teen Ink

The voice

October 11, 2018
By Anonymous

I just finished my homework late at night. My mom was a work so I was home alone. Since it was already late I decided to go to bed. 

Later around 3:00am I woke up and heard the sound of my mother's voice downstairs. She was talking but I couldn't make out what she was saying. Suddenly I heard her hollering at me "Emma are you awake? Can u come downstairs? I need to talk to you." I wasn't sure why my mom was up. I expected her to come home late from work but not this late. I didn't know what she wanted to ask me but I didn't question it for much more. So I got out of bed and headed downstairs. As I got to the stairs, I was pulled by my arm and was took in my mothers room. I looked to see who it was. It was my mom. She pulled me into her bedroom and told me to stay back and not to leave the room. I looked at her all confused. "I thought I just heard you downsta-"  "I heard that too" my mom said I got chills up my spine. My heart was racing and I instantly felt sick when I heard those word come out from her mouth. I started to hear chairs moving from the kitchen and stuff moving in the living room. My mom was looking out in the dark hallway. She quickly closed and locked the door. "What's going on?" I said my voice all shaky "I'm not sure" she said My mom put her hands on my shoulder and said "Calm down. Don't worry. If we stay in this room nothing bad can happen to us."
I questioned her as I was about to cry. “We don't know what going on. Why are you so sure nothing bad might happen to us if we stay in this room?"
Leticia 
the voice


"Because this has happened before. With me." She said
I looked at her "What?" She sighed "When I was 14. I went to got spend time at my grandmas house during the summertime. My mother would always tell me to be careful around 3am because that was the time where monsters would come out. One particular monster was a monster who mimic people voices. He uses that to lure people in a kill them whenever he desires. You can't look at it or you will instantly die. I didn't really believe it and thought it was just a story she made up to scare but when I moved into my own apartment. My friend Sophia lived with me at the time and one time she went to go travel and she would come back in 2 weeks. So that meant I lived alone for a while. At 3am I heard a knock on door of my front door apartment. I wasn't expecting anyone so I wasn't sure if should open the door this late at night. Then I heard voice at the front door. It sound like Sophia ut she told before she left that she wasn't coming back until 2 weeks. As I was getting out of bed I got a phone call. It was from Sophia. I was confused but I answered the phone anyway."I didn't expect you to come home early" I said  "what do you mean. I'm still in vacation. I just called to see if my cat was okay." My friend Sophia said. "I hanged up the phone and stayed in my room. I remember the story my grandma told me. I


waited till 3am passed. Holly's cat was hissing the whole time but after 3am passed by the cat stopped hissing and went to sleep. I took that as a sign that the monster or whatever it was had left. After that I had always been careful and aware at 3am." My mom said.
 I stared at her for a while and didn't move. I was in disbelief that my mom had experience the same thing were experiencing right now.
Leticia 
the voice

"We have to stay in this room. So for now we'll just have to wait" she said It felt like forever but it was finally passed three. My mom told me that it be safer if both us slept in her room, just to make sure. A few years passed by and I was already a full grown adult. I haven't experienced anything like this again for over 6 years now. However this is the first time I even thought about it for almost a year now but as time goes on they’ll be times where I forget about it but whoever knows how long I will live, it will always be fresh in my mind.
The end