The Phantom of the Musical | Teen Ink

The Phantom of the Musical

June 5, 2018
By KynnediG-W BRONZE, Woodmere, Ohio
KynnediG-W BRONZE, Woodmere, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“LEETTS DOO THE TIIME WAARP AGAINNNNN!” my fellow thespians of Parker high belt in unison. We all collapsed to the ground as the tempo of the song slows down.
     “That's great!” cheered our director in the crowd “Take five and then were going to rehearse the Sweet Transvestite number.”
     I smiled at the sound of the news. I was finally going to take a stab at the roll of my dreams, Frank N Furter. I know, I know. The part of a fportransexual scientist isn’t ideal to some, but it has been my dream since I saw my first Rocky Horror Picture Show. I remember that day like it was-.
     “AHHH” I turn around to find the ear piercing scream that interrupted my flashback. Everyone rushes behind the curtains to investigate.
     I rush through the swarm of my castmates only to find our lead, Cara July, shaking uncontrollably staring at a fallen sandbag with a note taped to it.
     Bending down, I read the note aloud in astonishment “This sandbag was just the first part. Recast Cara July for Janet or the next time the sandbag won’t miss.”

     I could feel the tension in the room. Some kid, probably Veronica, was chattering about how we have our very own Phantom. Theater kids could really make me mad sometimes.

     Cara tries to laugh at Veronica’s comment, but Veronica has a spiteful look on her face lay it off by laughing.
     “Come on guys!” she tried to reassure us, “this is just some sick joke! Who did it? Fess up guys! I thought we all unanimously agreed that I was the perfect one to play the iconic part of Janet. Was it you, Eric?”
     Her lavender nail polished finger was pointing at me. I looked up and saw that she was tangled in her own hysteria “Really Cara? I just bent down to read the damn note. I was about to get into my Frank N Furter costume until I heard your shrill scream rip through the air.”
     I could tell she was offended, but I could also tell that she didn’t care about my harsh but accurate statement.
     We could hear the sounds of our director, Jake, hopping onto the stage to remind us of the number that we were just about to run.
     “I thought we were going to do Sweet Transvestite,” asked Jake “Why aren’t you in your costume, Eric?” I don’t say a word, so he turns to the other cast members who exchanged awkward faces.           Finally, Cara pointed towards the sandbag, who was getting quite the attention. Jake ripped the note off of the bag and mouthed the words as he read to himself.
     “Ok guys. Don’t think too much of this. Cara is Janet for a reason. Sam is Brad for a reason. You all are these roles for a reason. Don’t think too much of this cowardly note.” Jake crumpled up the paper and I swear I could hear faint gasp as our director compressed the threatening note down to size.
     “Lets resume. I’ll give you guys five minutes to change” said Jake as he threw the paper in the nearest trash bin. With that, the tension in the air was relieved a bit with the confident words of our director. So everyone changed, and I strutted out on stage in black lingerie and all.

     So for the next few days we carried on with our normal tech week until our very own Phantom (Veronica’s words, not mine) struck once again, this time targeting Cara’s most prized possession.
     “AHH” I rolled my eyes at the scream I knew too well. Everyone rushed towards Cara’s dressing area but I sat at the end of the stage reading lines. Veronica peeks her head through the velvet curtains and says “Eric! You have got to see this!” I hop up from the stage and follow Veronica.
     My jaw drops at the sight. All of Cara’s expensive as hell makeup destroyed all over the floor. All of the tips of her sephora lipstick were hacked up and smashed up on the floor. All of her makeup were scraped out of their Naked container brand and were all over the floor like sparkly fairy desk. On her mirror were big red words written in one of the lipsticks that weren’t cut off.
     “It’s your funeral, Cara,” read Cara aloud in horror, “I’m calling my mom. I can’t do the play anymore, I’m sorry,” she whipped out her phone and dialed frantically.
     “I’ll be delighted to take her spot.” said Veronica, who was selfishly making this entire situation about her.
    I turned around to face her. “Really, Veronica. Remember, you're the one who is Magenta. I bet you're the one whose striking terror on set.”
     For a brief second, Veronica was flushed. But that face was replaced by her victim look. “I didn't do such a thing. You all know I wouldn’t do anything to hurt Cara.”
     Jake emerged from the crowd and looked at the terrible slaughter that was the makeup. “There’s no need to call your mom, Cara,” said Jake as he lowered Cara’s hand from her phone. “We’re going to settle this once and for all. Kids, go home I’ll be staying here tonight."
     Everyone looked equally skeptical about that idea, but we knew that Jake was too stubborn to let someone talk him into doing otherwise. So, we packed up shop and headed home.
     The next night was the night that feared many, opening night. Cassie, our Columbia, took up the task of doing Cara’s makeup, considering the awkward circumstances.
     We were about an hour in into our pre show ritual until we noticed that Jake wasn’t present. We looked around across the set to find him, and once we looked at his room but he wasn’t there. Then we saw another note on his desk.
     “Now I’ve destroyed Cara’s makeup and taken your director hostage. Your turn now”  sxI read the paper in disbelief.
The room shook. Nobody, literally nobody knew what to do. I could see the slight tear in Cara’s eyes. I closed my eyes for a long second and then I spoke in a shaky voice.
     “We have to go on guys. Jake wouldn’t want us to cancel everything for this” I looked to see the faces but they were deranged like a deer in headlights.
     “Are you crazy!?” shouter Cara, “Jake could be dead for all we know do you actually want to perform tonight?!”
     Her rage was interrupted by blinking lights overhead. I could feel her heart practically deflating
     “Well we don’t have a choice, do we? Let's get into places,” I commanded as I walked towards my position offstage.
     Julie, who plays the red lips, walked out on the stage and I could hear thunderous applause. She sang Science Fiction in a melodic tone, and I knew that the show had just begun.
     Between the laughs of me in black lingerie, and the bopping heads the audience members, I could tell that this was going to be a good play night. And it was. Until the show ended and the reality of all of our lives resumed.
     Sadly, we walked out the backstage door and we saw Jake running up to us. My face along with others lit up but there was a twinge of confusion. I could practically hear the thousands of thousands of questions running through each kids minds. But, I could also tell that all we wanted to do is attack him with a loving hug.
     “Thank god you guys are alright!” said Jake as he hugged a large group of the cast members.
     Our many questions overpowered the warm feeling we had now that Jake was back. Everyone talked at once until I raised my voice to ask a burning question.
     “Where the hell were you?” I asked with curiosity, and excitement at the same time.
  Jake's ruffled hair glimmered under the lobby lights “I was here investigating until some particular person threatened to ruin the show If I came. So I decided to stay home, even though it killed me."
     “Do you know who it was?” asked Julie in a child like tone.
Jakes tone suddenly changed. “Yeah, I know. It was Veronica.”
He pointed his finger into the cluster of cast members, and his finger split the sea of all of us to be pointing at Veronica who was in the back of us in a pouty face
     Cara’s head cocked to the side. “You? You destroyed my makeup!? You owe me a bunch of money, girl. Why would you do this in the first place?!”
     Veronica had the sheepish of a person who had just been caught. “I didn’t mean for it to get out if hand! But, come on Cara! You get everything you want! You were Liesel in the Sound of Music last year, heck, you even snagged the role of Orphan Annie from me. And I have red hair! Now, this year, you get Janet and I’m stuck with Magenta. Who the hell is Magenta?!” She continued in a whiny rant until I cut her off.
     “There’s no excuse for what you did,” I started, “I can’t believe you would do this to us, Veronica. I thought you were better.”
     Her body drained of the slyness and replaced with fear, likely imagining the thought of losing all of us as her friends. “I’m sorry okay? Please forgive me!” Veronica grabbed Cara’s arm, but she jerked it back.
     Cara got real close to Veronica, to the point where she was towering over her body. “You’re lucky I won’t press charges, Vee,” said Cara in a deep tone. With that, she walked away along with the rest of the cast.
     We left Veronica in the middle of the lobby, crying pools of black mascara down her face. I felt guilty for a moment, but it was the sound of her satsisfying tears that washed that guilt away. I hate to sound harsh, but she deserved what happened to her. She deserved more, in face. I was estatic.

     After all we’ve to see us come out victorious. In a dramatic turn, Our phantom of the musical was closer to us than we thought.


The author's comments:

I really like musicals and I alwys like to include my intrest into my stories.