"Mom" | Teen Ink

"Mom"

March 12, 2018
By Error78 SILVER, Woodbounre, New York
Error78 SILVER, Woodbounre, New York
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Listen, If you was a fish, Mother Nature'd take care of you, wouldn't she? Right? You don't think them fish just die when it gets to be winter, do ya?" -The Catcher in The Rye


[Might need a trigger warning]

 

 

FADE IN
EXT. HOUSE - DAY
Walking away from the house towards a park across the street.
ANNABELLE, a unhealthy looking fourteen year old girl.
ANNABELLE
(VO)
Is this how it feels like to be lonely? I see there is people around me, so why do I still feel so lonely. Emotions are the way to express yourself. To show someone how you feel about them. So why is it when I look at someone I feel nothing. I want to feel love, or hate. But I feel nothing towards anyone. Anyone at all. So why am I like this? My mom use to tell me it was because I have a cold heart, and a unlovable soul. My father started to agree with her after she passed away.Even the day of the funeral, I still didn't feel anything. That night I took my freshly sharpened pencil and pricked the tip of my finger. Just a prick nothing much. I wanted to make sure I was still human. But I didn't feel anything. I sat there for awhile with the blood dripping down my finger. Maybe I am broken, I am just unable to feel emotions. I am just unfixable.
INT. OFFICE - NEXT DAY
KATHRYN, a forty-eight year old lovable lady.
ANNABELLE sits across form Kathryn with her hands crossed over her chest.
KATHRYN
How are you feeling today?
ANNABELLE
(VO)
She is a very sweet lady no offense to her. I just felt like there was no hope for me in the end.
The only reason I am here because of my mom’s death, I guess it was traumatic for me or whatever.
ANNABELLE
Fine.
KATHRYN

That's all, just fine? Hun, you do know I am here to listen?
ANNABELLE
Yea, yea. There is nothing to talk about.
KATHRYN
Lets talk about your mom?
ANNABELLE
There is nothing to talk about, she was my mom.
KATHRYN
Was?
ANNABELLE
Well she is dead ins't she? So yes, was my mom.
KATHRYN
But that doesn't mean to take away her title.
Annabelle turns and looks out the window.
ANNABELLE
(VO)
She was no longer in this world, at least not where I can see her. Which would make her no longer my mother, for all I know she could be living her life as someone's else's mother. Besides the point, when you love someone enough and care for to much. Isn't that when you can call them mom. Like the falling in love thing. Now, for example if my mother left me as a young child and had never came back, wouldn't she no longer be my mother?
That is what I am doing here, trying to find a new mom because mine left me.
INT. OFFICE - NEXT WEEK
KATHRYN
How are yo-.
ANNABELLE
Okay, let’s cut to the point. I found a replacement mom, she works at the supermarket down the street from my house. She gives me candy ever time I walk in and ask me how my day was. She really cares for me. She is going to be my mom now.
KATHRYN
You replaced your mom with someone that works at a supermarket?
ANNABELLE
Yes that is what I said.
KATHRYN
Do you know her name?
ANNABELLE
Mom.
KATHRYN
Oh boy.
Annabelle gets up to walk out the door.
ANNABELLE
(VO)
I didn't really understand what she meant by "Oh boy". But that might of been because I really didn't care. I don't understand why I have to see her anymore since I got a mother now. I don't understand a lot of things.
INT. OFFICE - THREE WEEKS LATER
ANNABELLE
So I called the supermarket lady mom today.
KATHRYN
And how did that go?
ANNABELLE
She didn't understand or like the idea of it, she stopped giving me candy. Now whenever I see her she walks away. My mom left me again.
KATHRYN
Hun, she never left you in the first place. You replaced her, remember?
Annabelle starts to fiddle with her fingers.
ANNABELLE
She didn't have to leave us though.
KATHRYN
You know it wasn't anyone's fault, no one is at blame here.
ANNABELLE
(VO)
I couldn't tell you what exactly happened at that moment but I felt something. I couldn't tell you what it was but, my heart seemed to sink.
INT. BEDROOM - NIGHT
ANNABELLE
(VO)
This feeling followed me all the way home. I felt my pulse rush throughout my body. Calling me, I didn't care if it was bad or not. I just needed to feel that feeling again no matter what.
INT. OFFICE - NEXT WEEK
KATHRYN
Looks like we have something to talk about today. Why are you wearing long sleeves in the middle of summer?
ANNABELLE
I wanted the feeling to come back.
KATHRYN
What feeling?
ANNABELLE
I don't know, just a feeling.
KATHRYN
I was afraid this might happen.
Annabelle slams her hand down on the table next to her.
ANNABELLE
What is the hell is that suppose to mean? You keep saying stuff without explaining anything. Telling me nothing about what’s going on with me. What is wrong with me? Talk god damn it, talk! Why won't you fix me?
KATHRYN
Honey, you can't fix the unbroken.
ANNABELLE
Stop!
KATHRYN
Take some deep breaths. Annabelle you need to claim down.
ANNABELLE
You are-
KATHRYN
Okay you need to stop. Your feelings are getting out of hand. You don't want to end up like you mother, do you?
Annabelle gives Kathryn a death glare.
ANNABELLE
You took it to far you pill popping selfish, greedy, low life bastard. My mom killed herself because she was sad, and people like you wouldn't help her get better. You just left her for dead.
KATHRYN
That wasn't that hard was it?
ANNABELLE
What do you mean?
KATHRYN
You are angry at me. You are protecting your mom, showing that you care and love her. You just needed to let it all out. To say how you felt about your mother’s death. You said you wanted to be fixed, I guess you are fixed in a way.
ANNABELLE
Fixed?
Annabelle covers her face.
KATHRYN
You were never broken in the first place, you were just confused. Feelings are a good thing...
ANNABELLE
(VO)
Loving is a good thing. Standing by and watching the rest of life is a good thing. We are a good thing.