Uh OH | Teen Ink

Uh OH

By ceartasfeargach BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
ceartasfeargach BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Isaac shakes awake slowly releasing the chaos surrounding him.

(In a manic whisper) ISAAC: What… what happened… oh my god. what did I do. Oh no, oh no, oh no oh no oh no. MOM? DAD? HANNAH?

Isaac pulls his arms up over his head trying to isolate himself from the surrounding chaos, his mind filled with voices in complete disarray.

(with vile tone) ISAACS ANGER: You f***ing freak look what you just did you lost your temper and blew up the f***ing living room you bumbling, asinine, clod. This is what you get, always avoiding confrontation, scared and afraid to ever face your problems. You’re weak and you always will be. You just killed your whole family you animal not to mention the only things you unconditionally love your dogs. I don’t understand why you won’t just do the world a favor and kill yourself.

(Honest and shaken) ISAAC INTERNAL VOICE: please be quiet I can’t think like this. I’m so scared what do I do. I don’t know who's where or if anyone is even alive I have to look for them.

Isaac rummages through the living room searching for any of his family members who are surviving in the rubble.

ISAACS ANGER: YOU WON’T FIND THEM. THEY’RE DEAD. YOU KILLED THEM. WHAT DO YOU WANNA FIND THEIR BLOODY CORPSE? You better start running the police will be here soon I doubt they'll be fond of an exploding mentally ill teenager.

ISAAC: DAMN IT! Where are they? Come on, come on, please anyone someone be alive…

An incandescent purple light shines from under a pile of rubble, Isaac in mania blasts away the rubble on top to reveal his mother veiled in a translucent purple light. Frozen but completely unscathed.
ISAAC: mom?

A stunned moment of silence and relief resonates throughout the room.

ISAAC’S I.V: Did I make this?? I must have as an immediate reaction… right? I mean who else would be able to do something like this?

A moment of silence as Isaac surveys the room looking for who could have made these shields. A small shimmer of purple light catches his eyes from across the room.

ISAAC: If I protected mom from this chaos maybe I shielded everyone else as well?...

Isaac runs over to the pile lifting and pushing away rubble. After struggling with it he removes the last and largest piece of rubble with a smaller seemingly more controlled explosion, revealing Hannah shielding your father frozen in a translucent purple light.

ISAAC: hannah...?

ISAACS ANGER: Your little sister is more heroic than you and she doesn’t even have ‘SuPeR pOwErS’. You’re pathetic. What are you planning to say when the police get here?

Police sirens howl in the distance. Isaac flicks his head around trying to locate the sound.

ISAAC I.V: I have to get them out of these cocoons before the police get here or who knows what horrible tests the government will do on them!

Unaware of how to rescue his family Isaac runs over to his mother and starts trying to break open the cocoon with brute force starting with controlled small explosions crescendoing into massive explosions breaking the ground surrounding them.

ISAAC: MOM PLEASE WAKE UP I’M NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO FACE THIS ALONE! I can’t deal with these voices in my head, I can’t deal with these stupid powers, I can’t deal with losing you… mom…  please…

Isaac starts crying onto the light with each teardrop it slowly starts to dissolve. His mother's breath is audible and she starts to slowly wake.

MOM: Isaac? What's happening why are you crying, WHY IS OUR HOUSE GONE?
WHERE ARE YOUR FATHER AND SISTER?

Isaac's vision blacks out, suddenly consumed by the voice of his anger he sees the demonic vision of himself

ISAACS ANGER: WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU GOING TO TELL HER B****? THAT YOU DECIMATED THE HOUSE, THAT YOU FROZE YOUR FATHER AND SISTER, THAT YOU EXPLODE, OR AHHAAHHAH THAT I’M HERE IN YOUR HEAD YELLING AT YOU?

(In a mousey tone) ISAAC I.V: I’ll tell her the truth, and hope for the best… ‘cause it clearly hasn’t worked out hiding them.

ISAACS ANGER: FAT CHANCE. SHE WON’T ACCEPT YOU IDIOT. *whispered slowly and directly into isaac's ear* Might as well run away now.

MOM: isaac? are you okay baby? your face went white and you fell completely silent, what happen? You look like you’ve seen a ghost or some kind of spirit. Isaac honey, *pause for effect* I love you, *space*  is everything okay?

ISAAC: i exploded mom… i destroyed the house… and I froze you, hannah, and dad.