The Problem with Phones | Teen Ink

The Problem with Phones

By politicsandroses SILVER, San Jose, California
politicsandroses SILVER, San Jose, California

SET 1: Girl’s bedroom, pictures of her and her boyfriend line the walls, lights are dimmed. Pink wallpaper and roses print. Floor is lined with carpet. Room in completely furnished with dressers, a desk, two bookcases, a closet, a T.V and her bed.

May: *girl sits between her bed and the wall, underneath the window, clutches her phone so tight, her knuckles are white* How many days has it been, since he last messaged? Really talked, not just a quick hello goodbye. Wednesday? Or was it Friday? *girl laughs a bit, a tear falls down her cheek* I hate waiting. Should I message him…no, he’s busy with the boys. I wouldn’t be surprised if a few girls followed them on their road trip. He doesn’t try to talk anymore…and he’s always busy.. He’s not leaving, is he? I’m scared…he can hurt me…*swallows audibly* I should call Lexi before I overthink. I don’t want to bother her though. I mean, it’s a common thing - me freaking out about Evan. He’s just busy! I’m way overthinking this…right? *bites her lip* Who am I kidding? It’s Evan…amazing personality, winning smile, bright eyes and even a pure heart. In addition, just his looks would earn him a fan club. He’ll find someone new…he will. I’m just waiting it out until he does…he’s not mine.

SET 2: Boy’s room, full of posters and photographs. Monotone background, bright lights. Floor is made of wood. Room in completely furnished with a simple bed, working space and dressers.

Evan: *boy paces room with phone visibly sticking out of his pocket, runs his right hand through his hair * She hasn’t tried to call. Or message me…I know the last time I talked, it was quite rushed, but stupid Alex made me get ready for school! Damn! She probably thought I was lying since it was a Saturday…should I call her? I know Alex and Dan are taking me somewhere later? But Dan still talks to his girl! *grabs phone out of his pocket and checks it. Realizes that there aren’t any messages or missed calls and throws the phone on the bed. Phone lands in a thump* She’s usually the one who messages me! Why isn’t she doing it this time?!

Alex: *walks around the house and says loudly* Evan, Dan, we’re heading out soon!

Evan: *runs to grab phone off of the bed and hurriedly tries to call May* May, pick up..please. *sits cross-legged on the floor* Please don’t think I don’t love you anymore…I still love you. *hears Alex yell out and knock on the door* Damn..May…I love you.

BACK TO SET 1:

May: *wipes her face* The only thing is…I can’t get over him, I love him.

What every couple goes through at some point: it hurts, and it'll kill you on the inside, but somehow, it's still worth all of this.