Shattered | Teen Ink

Shattered

February 6, 2015
By crazyana17 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
crazyana17 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

(Lights up SR. ANGI is standing SR, facing SL with a backpack and her arms crossed. CHRIS enters SR behind ANGI and covers her eyes with his hands.)

CHRIS: Guess who?
ANGI: (Laughs.) Hmm, I wonder.
CHRIS: (Turns ANGI around and kisses her.) Does that help?
ANGI: I dunno, my memory is still a little foggy.
(They kiss. JENN enters from SR.)
JENN: Ugh, gag central!
ANGI: (Turns to face JENN. Laughs.) Oh, whatever, Jenn!
(CHRIS wraps his arms around ANGI’s waist.)
JENN: I mean, I know you two have been dating since sophomore year--
CHRIS:--(Coughs.) Freshman.
JENN: (Rolls eyes.) Yea, yea. Freshman year--
CHRIS:--(Coughs.) and we are bound to win cutest couple. (Coughs.)
JENN: Angi, get this guy a cough drop or something!
ANGI: Well he’s not wrong; we are pretty cute.
JENN: (Tries to keep a straight face but starts to laugh.) Yea, I guess, but enough of this “froo-froo” relationshipness; are we still on for dinner tonight?
ANGI: Totally! Tino’s at 5, right?
JENN: Yea, and not 5:05 because you got (Looks at Chris.) “stuck in traffic”.
(ANGI looks up at CHRIS. They laugh.)
ANGI: Don’t worry, I’ll be there.
JENN: Alright, see you later Ang. Bye Chris!
ANGI: Bye, Jenn!
CHRIS: Bye! (Turns ANGI around to face him and holds her hands.) Are we still hanging out?
ANGI: Umm (Let’s go of his hands.) I don’t think today is a good idea.
CHRIS: Why not?
ANGI: I just have a lot of homework and studying to do tonight.
CHRIS: (Pause.) Well, I could help you.
ANGI: Um, no, that’s okay. Finals are coming up and I really need to focus.
CHRIS: Oh, yea, that’s fine. We’re still going to the movies on Saturday, though, right?
ANGI: Absolutely!
CHRIS: Awesome, can’t wait.
ANGI: Me too. (Smiles.)
CHRIS: Alright, love bug, I’ll see you tomorrow. (Kisses ANGI and exits SR.)

(ANGI walks SL to the door and walks through to CS. Lights go down SR and come up CS. MOM is sitting on the couch, reading a book. DAD sits in the recliner with a newspaper.)

MOM: Hi, honey.
ANGI: Hey.
DAD: How was school?
ANGI: Same old, same old.
MOM: How’s Chris?
ANGI: Good. (Smiles.)  I’m going to go study in my room for a little bit and then me and Jenn--
MOM:--are going to Tino’s at 5, as usual.
ANGI: (Laughs.) Yea. Well, I’ll see you guys later.

(ANGI walks SL and sits on her bed. MOM and DAD go back to reading and freeze. Lights dim CS and come up SL on ANGI’s bedroom. ANGI opens her backpack and take out a binder. She begins to write. Lights dim for a moment SL to show that time has passed.)

ANGI: (Pulls out her phone and looks at it.) Oh, s***! (ANGI hurriedly puts her binder back in her backpack, sprays herself with perfume, grabs her purse off the dresser, and walks SR.)

(Lights go dark SL and come up CS. JENN is sitting on the couch with her head in her hands next to MOM, who is rubbing JENN’s back. DAD sits in the recliner with his hands folded near his mouth. They have all been crying. ANGI rushes to the door, failing to notice JENN.)

DAD: Angi?
ANGI: Sorry Dad, I’m already late; Jenn is going to kill me. (Opens door.)
DAD: Angeline!
ANGI: (Turns around.) What?! (Notices JENN.) Jenn, what are you doing here?
MOM: Sweetie, sit down.
ANGI: (Slowly closes door.) What’s going on?
JENN: (Sobbing.) Angi, I’m so sorry!
MOM: Shh, it’s okay.
ANGI: Mom, what is she talking about?
DAD: Angi, there’s no easy way to say this. (Pause.)
MOM: While Jenn was driving to Tino’s, she got into an accident.
(Pause.)
ANGI: Oh, well, you’re okay; right, Jenn?
(JENN cries harder.)
DAD: She wasn’t the only one involved in the wreck. (Pause.) Chris was in the other car.
(Silence.)
ANGI: Well, where is he? He’s okay, right?
DAD: (Pause.) Honey, Chris- (Pause.) -Chris is dead.
(JENN cries.)
ANGI: Oh, um (Nervous laugh.) um, uh, I-I’ll be in m-my room. (Walks SL to her room and paces. JENN follows.)
MOM: Jenn, it’s okay, you don’t have to--
JENN:--It’s okay, I’m fine.

(Lights up SL.)

JENN: (Crying.) Angi, I’m so sorry. It was an accident I didn’t mean--(ANGI sits on her bed.) I didn’t even see him coming. It just (Pause.) happened. I’m sorry.

(Silence.)

JENN: Angi, please, you know I would never do something like this on purpose. (Pause.) I can’t tell you enough how sorry I am and how much I wish I could fix it.
ANGI: But you can’t.
JENN: I know, (Pause.) an-and I totally understand if you don’t want to be friends anymore; I get it. You have every right to hate me.
ANGI: Jenn, just stop. It wasn’t your fault; (Pause.) it was mine.
JENN: What?!
ANGI: Chris always comes over after school and today was the one day that I said no because I said I needed to focus on studying. (Begins to cry.) If I would’ve just let him come over, none of this would’ve happened!
JENN: Angi, don’t do this to yourself. No matter if he would’ve come over, or not, this still could’ve happened.
ANGI: But you don’t get it! Chris can’t be dead; not right now.
JENN: What do you mean?
ANGI: Jenn, (Pause.) I’m pregnant.

BLACKOUT