The Sugar Act of 1764 | Teen Ink

The Sugar Act of 1764

By PriyankaD. GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
PriyankaD. GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey

Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul.
Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.

Pamela Vaull Starr

Narrator- America, 1764. A new tax has just been passed by Parliament. It places a duty on sugar and molasses imported by the colonists. Although England has just won the French and Indian War, they have spent a lot of money on it. Moreover, Great Britain is maintaining an army in North America to protect against Native American attacks This has caused them to tax the colonists for generating revenue.

Patriot- I heard you stiff-necked Tories have decided to tax us on our everyday imports of sugar and molasses. ‘Tis most splendid. Parliament has been increasingly gaining power and they send knuckleheads who demand high costs to “Protect our liberties” but are actually forcing us to unwillingly trade with you Tories.

Loyalist- It is beyond my understanding why thou colonists are suddenly turning mutinous against the Sovereign King George the Third. By paying this negligible tax, we are guaranteed to be exported only the finest sugar and molasses.

Patriots- Who cares that this sugar is cheaper. Anyone who has even a bit of an American flag in their heart knows that if we allow them tax us like this, who knows how many taxes they could enforce on us. ‘One must admit that the only thing evil needs to prevail is for good men to do nothing, and we are the good men, so sayeth Edmund Burke, so we need to stand up.

Loyalist- But this Act is not regulating our trade with England! I am a successful businesswoman, dealing specifically in growing the sugarcane on my plantations and extracting the molasses from them. I have suffered no losses thus far. In fact, I feel that this Act is better than the Molasses Act - the Sugar Act is so much more flexible.

Patriot- Flexible or not, Mother Parliament is still reaching her hand in our pockets, without our consent, without thought or consideration for the hardships we’re facing!

Loyalist- I feel that England has given us a lot of leverage, considering that her soldiers fought and won the French and Indian War for us while enduring such heavy expenses. Moreover, our benevolent King has even stationed troops to defend and protect us colonists from the natives here. He cares for us as a father! Where couldst thou find a greater king?!!

Patriot- Let us not forget that they won a lot of land from the French - vast tracts of profitable land, including all of Canada! And to answer thy question of where we could find a better king, my two-year old son could run a kingdom better than King George will ever be able to!

Loyalist- Well, I feel that all this dissent will cause a rift in our harmonious ties with our Mother Country. Trade shall suffer, and soon we will be like a child run away from home, helpless!

In the eighteenth century, the British Parliament was passing many laws and acts, not only to make profit, but also to curb America's growing trade industries. This dialogue portrays the prevalent sentiments among the Loyalists (supporting the British) and the Patriots (supporting independence from England). It serves to remind us of the turmoil that Americans had to undergo to realize their dream of the wonderful country we know about today - America.