Red Rum | Teen Ink

Red Rum

April 7, 2023
By Lulu3672 SILVER, Locust, North Carolina
Lulu3672 SILVER, Locust, North Carolina
6 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Fair means everyone gets what they need and the only way to get what you need is to make it happen yourself” - Rick Riordan


[13 High schoolers are in an RV heading to the grave of a famous murderer; Red Rum it’s night time 10:00 pm. Katherine is a quiet kid and soft, Mark is a band geek with perfect pitch, Haylee is that kid who always asks for food, Patricia is a stereotypical popular girl, Stacy is Patricia's friend and helps her, Edric is a stereotypical emo kid, Caroline is  crazy, Nelly is a classic nerd, Rebecca is a rebel, Jaque is a joker and makes jokes that are hit or miss, Alex is the classic athlete/ jock, Tanya is a stereotypical teacher's pet who never breaks the rules.]


Scene 1

[Lights are dimmed and there's a spotlight and a narrator enters.]


Narrator: 13 High schoolers are driving to a graveyard that happens to have the grave of Red Rum, a famous murderer who killed a lot of people. Legend has it that if you say their name three times back to back he will return. These foolish children dare to try it out, tempting fate is not something to be taken lightly.


[Narrator exits the stage, lights are turned on to reveal the high schoolers.]


Caroline: I wonder if we’re going to see a corpse, maybe Red Rum will share his secrets with me on how he got away with so many murders.


Edric: This is so ridiculous you really think he’s going to come back from the dead? I’m only here for the graveyard. It really speaks to me.


Nelly: Caroline, Edric is probably right for once Red Rum probably won't come back from the dead. The chances of him doing that are very low but if it does happen I’ll be the first to record it in my journal!


Tanya: Nelly! What if Red Rum does return? And our teachers found out what we did! Mr. Geez will surely be mad at me!


Rebecca: Who cares Tanya? The school is so controlling anyways this will show that we aren't kids to be messed with, so rebelling will be even easier!


Mark: Rebecca your voice is at 255 Hz it needs to be at 165 Hz your almost as loud as a G sharp on a flute.


Haylee: Mark, Jaque I’m out of my snacks and I’m still really hungry! That cereal box, Cheez itz, potato chips, and apples weren't enough. Do you have any more food?


Jaque: Haylee that was all I had, you're going to end up becoming food.


Katherine: Mark keeps some food in his trombone when he gets hungry.


Alex: Haylee just wait til we get there it's not much longer I’m sure we can find somewhere to eat at.


Haylee: I'm hungry now!


[Haylee pouts]


Jaque: If the wind changes your face will stay like that.


[Jaque laughs]


Patricia: Jaque what you say is a hit or miss it's either funny or stupid and confusing.


Nelly: Patricia it’s a saying for little kids so they won’t pout or throw a tantrum.


Katherine: My parents used to say that to me, made me stop crying instantly.


Jaque: And made you stop talking too.


Patricia: Stacy! Bring me a mini cupcake stat!


Stacy: Right away Princess Patricia.


Patricia: Uh no, I wanted a pink one wasn't I clear?


Haylee: I’ll take it!


Stacy: Here's a pink cupcake Princess Patricia.


Patricia: What, no sprinkles?


Edric: Patricia that cupcake already makes me want to vomit adding sprinkles will make it worse.


Alex: Guys were here.

 

Scene 2

Caroline: It is so dark, perfect for a murder.


Edric: It's dark like my soul.


Stacy: Looks like no one’s here.


Nelly: It's a complete ghost town there are only 13 graves.


Rebecca: No duh sherlock.


Tanya: The gate says “do not enter” we probably shouldn't go let’s head back before we’re caught.


Rebecca: Who cares we’ll only be  here for a few minutes. It's fine breaking the rules for a short time. Come on, it'll be fun.


[Rebecca pushes Tanya to the gate.]


Tanya: I’m just going to head back to the RV and wait for y'all.


Alex: Absolutely not! You could damage it and I’ll get grounded, and tryouts for like every sport are soon, you’re coming with us.


Tanya: fine but if I get in trouble you’re taking the fall.


[Alex opens the gate and they enter the graveyard.]


Alex: Who wants to do it? Come on, don't be shy .


Tanya: You’re talking, you go.


Alex: What about the new kid? Ed consider this… An induction ceremony!


Katherine: Alex, don’t do that to the new guy he just arrived here, be nice.


Rebecca: Why don’t you all go? Each says Red Rum, that's fair.


 Caroline: I second that!


Jaque: Third!


Edric: Fourth!


[Haylee raised her hand to agree but had been cut off by Alex.]


Alex: Ok, ok, I get it we’ll go, come on Katherine, Ed.


[They all three walk to the grave of Red Rum.]


Katherine: Red Rum.


Alex: Red Rum.


Ed: Red Rum.


[They all fell silent and Alex and Katherine held their breaths, scared of what was to happen.]


Edric: Nothing happened.


Caroline: What?!? Now I can't get his secrets!


Ed: It’s probably for the better or else Caroline would murder us all.


[On a bench nearby a man was playing a guitar, he played a subtle but eerie tune.]


Man: Y'all shouldn't be out here this is the Red Rum graveyard, you know rumor has it if you say his name three times he will come back.


Ed: Clearly nothing happened so the rumors are false!


[The Man cackled.]


Man: You dared to try and summon him? Oh, the irony! Something has happened and you know it.


[Thunder clashed and the man disappeared.]


Caroline: I bet that man was a ghost!


Edric: I just met a dead man! I can die happy now.


Jaque: He’s definitely a ghost.


Katherine: Alex can we go? It seems like a storm is rolling in.


Alex: Sure, we can go to my place and crash there for the night.


[They all left the graveyard and returned to Alex’s house.]


Scene 3

Alex: Mark out of the driver's seat!


Mark: Fine.


Jaque: Ed what did that guy mean by you know something happened.


Ed: I don't know, that guy freaked me out, I have no idea what he means by that.


Jaque: Are you sure? You look pretty transparent.


Rebecca: Knock it off, leave him alone.


Jaque: I was just kidding about the transparent thing.


Patricia: Excuse me? Stacy! Bring me another cupcake.


Stacy: There’s no more Princess Patricia.


Patricia: What do you mean there's no more?


Stacy: There's only an empty container Princess Patricia


Patricia: Who could've eaten twenty-eight cupcakes?!?


Mark: I don't know, who do you think did it? Probably someone who's always hungry and their name is Haylee.


Haylee: Sorry Patricia I was hungry.


Patricia: You're always hungry! Stacy, phone.


Stacy: Here you are Princess Patricia.


Patricia: There's no signal!


Alex: It’s pretty remote out here so it makes sense it wouldn’t have any signal.


Edric: Your phone case is so ugly.

 

Katherine: How dare you insult Pretty Pink Princess Sparkle Glitter Bright Unicorn Pony!


Edric: It's way too colorful for me it needs to be dark like the world.


Katherine: I’ll name 100 reasons to like Pretty Pink Princess Sparkle Glitter Bright Unicorn Pony number 1!


[The lights dim and the scene changes.]


Scene 4

Alex: Welcome to my humble abode! My parents are out of town so this place is ours for the night.


Haylee: Finally food! I’ve been starving!


Mark: You have a piano? Can I play it?


Alex: No it was made by my great, great, great grandfather. He created it a long time ago and it can easily break.


Mark: Come on, please?


Rebecca: I’m all for it! Rules are overrated.


Alex: Still no, don't touch it or anything that looks old, some things have been passed down for years.


Nelly: I’ll break it down for your pea brains No. Touch. Old. Stuff. 


Alex: Exactly!


Haylee: Can we order a pizza?


Alex: Sure what do y'all want?


Haylee: Five large pepperoni pizzas! What are y'all going to have?


Nelly: I think 5 pepperoni pizzas will suffice for all of us.


Alex: Sure I’ll order it now.


Edric: There are no good horror movies!


Caroline: This is taking forever! Just find Annabell or something I’m just itching to see something horrid.


Edric: Annabell isn't dark enough.


Caroline: What do you mean?!? Just put it on! 


Nelly: I have an idea! [steals remote] none of you watch TV I’m taking this with me and going with the girls to a different room goodbye


[The doorbell rings]


Pizza Man: I have 5 large pepperoni pizzas, a 2-liter coke, and a cookie brownie for Alex. 


Alex: Yes, that’s me.


Pizza Man: That’ll be $48.99.


Alex: Here you go.


Pizza man: No tip?


Alex: I’m a broke kid, that's not my job.


[Alex closed the door and locked it.]


Alex: Guys pizza’s here!


[Alex put the food on the table.]


Haylee: FOOD!


Patricia: Haylee don't you dare eat that all! You already ate my cupcakes! 


Haylee: I said I was sorry.


Patricia: That won't bring my cupcakes back.


Jaque: What do you want her to do? Puke it up?


Patricia: I want compensation for my loss, 40 bucks will do.


Stacy: Princess Patricia you only paid 20 dollars for them.


Haylee: I think 20 will do your highness.


[The lights start to flicker.]


[Mark, Nelly, Rebecca, and Tanya entered the kitchen from a different room, Caroline and Edric simply walked over from the living room to the kitchen.]


Nelly: What happened?


Alex: Nothing to be worried about it does that all the time.


[Suddenly Katherine screamed and ran to the kitchen with Ed. Katherine was out of breath and freaking out.]


Katherine: There was, they knocked, and started hitting, jumped at the window!


Alex: What's wrong with her?


Ed: There was someone outside of the window banging on it trying to get inside.


[The lights completely turned off and then turned back on. A ghost appeared and the lights turned on.]


Ghost 1: you dare to awaken Red Rum? Now you will pay the price.


[The ghost pointed toward Katherine and slowly walked toward her.]


Katherine: It wasn't my fault they forced me to! Please don't kill me!


[The ghost was not convinced and continued walking towards her.]


Katherine: What do you want? Money? Food? You can have anything just don't take me!


Ghost 1: You. Must. Pay.


Kathrin: How much do you want? Any amount, just don't kill me, please!


[The ghost grabbed her and covered her mouth, the lights turned off then there was a loud screech and silence then the lights turned on.]


Patricia: What just happened to Katherine?


[Everyone was freaking out.]


Mark: Good riddance!


Everyone: Mark!


Mark: What? She never gives her opinion on anything! When I was working a solo and I asked her if it sounded good she just nodded and nothing else then I got 7th place! 7th!


Rebecca: She didn't deserve that did she?


Mark: Yes she did! 7th, Rebecca, 7th!


Alex: Way to hold a grudge.


Haylee: Yeah Mark, Katherine didn't deserve that at all she was so sweet and probably didn't want to make you upset.


Mark: Don't even get me started on you, you’re always eating so much and running me, and Alex dry! You get crumbs everywhere! You even got it in my flute! A flute of all places. I don't even know how you did that!


Nelly: Everyone Hush! We need to call the police and report this incident! Get over your petty fighting! Katherine just died!


Rebecca: Technically she was taken.


Edric: I want to be taken next!


Jaque: Maybe if we sacrifice Edric the ghost will leave us alone.


Edric: Sure I’m down.


Jaque: That was a joke dude, I know you’re emo but that’s a little much.


Caroline: If it means we get to see Red Rum again I’m all for it!


Nelly: No one is going to be sacrificed!


Patricia: If it’ll keep the ghost away and we have consent from Edric, it's worth a try. I don't know about you but I’m too pretty to die. Do you see this dress? It's designer.


Haylee: We shouldn’t sacrifice anyone, let's just call the police!


Nelly: Thank you at least someone here has some common sense!


Mark: And what are the police going to do?


Haylee: I don't know they’ll do something!


Mark: If a bunch of teenagers call the police and say they saw a ghost, do you know how bad that’ll look? It’ll look like we were just messing with them!


Alex: I agree the police won’t do anything about this, I doubt that ghost will come back since it seemed like they were only after Katherine, I think it’s fine.


Rebecca: You really think that ghost won't come back? You know what, forget sacrificing Edric since you and Ed assisted Katherine why don't we sacrifice you both?


Stacy: Tanya made them do it, we should sacrifice her!


Tanya: Me?! It was a suggestion! 


Nelly: Nobody is going to sacrifice anybody! Understood? Here’s what we're going to do: we'll just stay together and pray the ghost won't come back.


Ed: She’s right I doubt the ghost will come back. It seemed like it was only after Katherine but we’ll just stay together.


Tanya: If we're not going to sacrifice anyone to appease the ghost then we call the police! 


[Tanya took out her phone and dialed the number, it rang but no one answered.]


Tanya: Hello? Uh hello?


Ed: We'll just stay together and hope nothing happens.


Haylee: Do you really think the ghost won't come back?


Ed: Positive, that ghost won't come back.


[The lights flicker again and Katherine appears as, she was a ghost.]


Katherine: How dare you? I thought we were friends y'all did absolutely nothing to stop that ghost from taking me!


Alex: Katherine, we tried


Katherine: Shut up! 


[Thunder crashed.]


Mark: Take Alex Katherine!


Katherine: He's not worth my time. I heard what you said about me. Do you really hold a grudge?


[Katherine breaks the piano.]


Mark: How could you?  That was a perfectly good instrument!


Alex: Forget that! I’m in huge trouble!


Katherine: You will pay!


Mark: I’m sorry! Katherine, please!


[Lights turned off, Mark and Katherine were nowhere to be seen.] 


Jaque: That’s the most I’ve heard Katherine talk.


Haylee: Ed, you said the ghost wouldn't come back!


Ed: In my defense, technically it was Katherine and it wasn't the same ghost from last time.


Haylee: Ed that's the same thing!


Tanya: Guys! We have to call the police!


Patricia: That’d be a great idea! If the phone worked!


Edric: I told you it’s the phone case!


Patricia: It’s not the phone case!


Haylee: Let’s try again.


[Tanya takes the phone, dials the number, it rings and someone picks it up but nobody answers.]


Tanya: Hello?


Patricia: See I told you it wasn’t the phone case!


Nelly: Who cares about the phone case? Mark is coming to get one of us!


Ed: How do you know?


Nelly: according to the pattern it’s most likely he’ll come back.


Rebecca: What pattern?


Nelly: Well it’s not a complete pattern but if Katherine came back to take one of us then it’s most likely that Mark will come back to do the same.


[Suddenly the lights flicker and a loud piano can be heard in the background without any explanation “Dun Dun Dun!” And then the lights turned back on it was Mark.]


Nelly: Told you!


Mark: I can’t believe you all! You just let her take me!


Alex: Calm down dude.


Haylee: You know he won’t calm down, he holds a grudge.


Patricia: Don’t provoke him! Or you’ll get taken!


Stacy: Do you actually care about her? 


Patricia: No, she owes me 40 dollars!


Stacy: I don’t think that matters.


Haylee: Forget about your 40 dollars no one cares!


Stacy: Haylee, how dare you speak to Princess Patricia that way!


Mark: Haylee You will pay next.


Haylee: Why me?


Mark: You eat all the time, you steal my snacks, and you get crumbs everywhere! Even in a flute! A flute! 


Haylee: Food burns through me. I can't help it!


Mark: Haylee, You must pay.


Haylee: Mark I’m sorry for all the food incidents I won’t do it again I promise!


[Mark stopped to consider it.]


Mark: I must carry out my task.


[The lights turned off and Haylee was gone along with Mark.]


Jaque: At least Haylee isn’t hungry anymore .


Alex: Jaque! This is serious!


Jaque: it was a joke to lighten up the mood.


Rebecca: No duh Alex! Also, Jaque just hush you’re not helping at all!


Ed: Just call the police!


Patricia: I don’t know if you know this but the last two times haven’t worked at all. What makes you think this will be different?


Nelly: Guys Haylee is going to be back, the pattern is confirmed.


Tanya: What do we do?


Edric: Guys this is like that one movie where the teenagers all get killed!


Caroline: I remember that one!


Patricia: Y'all aren’t helping at all!


Stacy: Princess Patricia is right


Caroline: Do you think that Haylee will eat us?


[Lights turn off.]


Patricia: Great Haylee’s back! 


[Haylee appears.]


Edric: Skip the monologue!


Caroline: I agree, skip it!


Haylee: Fine Patricia let’s go.


Patricia: No, I’ve done nothing wrong to you!


Haylee: You called me fat the other day, last week you stole my pink cookie, and the week before that you and Stacy took all my lunch money, so little miss you will pay.


Patricia: Have you forgotten you owe me 40 dollars?


Haylee: You’re still on that? Get over it you are mean and rude and you act like everyone is beneath you, you show off intentionally and unintentionally, and you get mad over nothing. I'm patient with you but not anymore.


Patricia: What? Stacy, is that true?


Stacy: No princess Patricia.


Haylee: And that you make poor Stacy serve you! You boss her around so much she doesn’t ever get a chance to do what she wants.


Stacy: I… Haylee is right Stacy you do boss me around and you never listen to me! He’s right everyone has been patient with you and you just get mad and boss me around, get over yourself!


[Stacy covered her mouth and Patricia gasped]


Patricia: Stacy!


Haylee: See miss bossy even your best friend agrees!


Patricia: Stacy I can't believe you!


Stacy: Patricia it’s true you boss me around you’re mean to everyone and make me be mean too, I haven’t spoken out because I thought you’d change sooner or later but you haven’t

Haylee: Remember Flora? She left because she was tired of being bossed around by you!


Patricia: Is that true Stacy?


Stacy: It is she left because you were just a big bully!


Haylee: You will pay for me and for everyone you’ve bullied in the past.


Patricia: Wait no!


[The lights turned off and there was a scream, the lights turned back on and Patricia and Haylee were gone.]


Stacy: Oh my gosh Patricia will come back for me next!


Rebecca: I mean you were right to confront her, everyone was being so patient with her, you were right to do that, don't worry.


Stacy: I’m a dead man walking.


Jaque: Technically you’re a girl


Alex: You’re not helping Jaque.


Edric: Stacy you probably shouldn’t have done that she’ll come back for you.


Caroline: I know she’s so lucky!


Tanya: Y'all are idiots and aren’t helping who even let you into our friend group?


Nelly: No one, they let themselves in!


Ed: Stacy she was your best friend and the chain might just end there and she won’t come back for you.


Nelly: It’s possible the chain could end, but my question for a long time was why is this even happening?


Edric: Isn’t it obvious?


Caroline: It’s Red Rum!


Nelly: How do you know?


Alex: They’re right when we attempted to resurrect Red Rum to see if the rumors were true this all started.


Jaque: That does make sense.


Ed: Do you think it had anything to do with that person Katherine mentioned?


Rebecca: What person?


Ed: Earlier there was someone outside the window Katherine screamed and ran in here.


Rebecca: Could that be Red Rum?


Ed: Maybe.


Jaque: Could Red Rum actually be back, did we resurrect him?


Ed: I think we did!


Caroline: I can get his secrets!


Jaque: We’re all going to die!


Alex: That wasn’t funny Jaque!


Jaque: I wasn’t trying to be!


Alex: What do you mean? You always try to be funny!


Jaque: This clearly isn’t a joking matter!


Alex: Oh now you realize that?


Jaque: I haven’t tried to be funny this whole time!


Nelly: Guys stop! Stacy. If Patricia does come and get you please don’t come after us.


Edric: What? Why not?


Nelly: Do you want to be taken and turned into a ghost?


Caroline: Sure I’d like to.


Edric: Same.

Tanya: Look I know Caroline is crazy and you’re emo but that’s a little far, don't you think?


Jaque: Y'all have gone a little far with the emo and crazy thing it’s starting to get creepy.


Alex: I think we’re far past just creepy.


[The lights turn off and a song starts playing like a Barbie song.]


Patricia: Guess who’s back!


Stacy: Oh no!


[Lights turn on.]


Patricia: Ta-da! Was that a grand entrance or what?


Stacy: Patricia, about what I said earlier.


Patricia: It was rude, mean, hurtful, and awful


Stacy: But we’re friends!


Patricia: Correction, we were friends until you said those mean things.


Stacy: I’m sorry Princess Patricia, please!


Patricia: Um… Nope!


Stacy: Patricia you really want to do this?


Patricia: No.


Stacy: Then please reconsider!


Patricia: I have to.


Nelly: What do you mean Patricia?


Patricia: You’ll understand soon enough.


[Lights turn off and like always Patricia and Stacy were gone without a trace.]


Rebecca: Is it over?


Tanya: Depends if Stacy wants to exact revenge.


Caroline: Maybe she will.


Edric: Yes!


Ed: She might.


Alex: I don't think she will.


Jaque: I have faith that she won’t, Stacy is too nice she doesn't have the heart to take one of us.


Ed: She might, Katherine took Mark and she was usually a nice person.


Rebecca: Wait, she’ll come back?


Nelly: They usually do.


Jaque: We’re just going to accept our fate?


Alex: What do you expect us to do?


Jaque: Anything but just sit and wait for our fates to be sealed!


Alex: It's not like we can do anything!


Tanya: We’re all idiots!


Rebecca: Excuse me?


Tanya: Let’s just leave!


Edric: What? Now it’s just getting better!


Caroline: Yeah, we’re down to eight now, we can’t leave now! One of us might make it out alive!


Nelly: What good is staying when we can prevent that?!


[Nelly tries to open the door.]


Nelly: It’s not working, it won't move!


Rebecca: Let me try!


[Rebecca tries to open it but to no avail.]


Rebecca: It’s turning but it wont open


Ed: Let Alex try


Alex: Stand aside


[Alex rammed into the door then the lights turned off Stacy appeared on stage.]


Tanya: Stacy I thought you wouldn't come back to take one of us.


Stacy: I had to come back I have to, I’m sorry Tanya I didn't want to but I was forced to.


Nelly: By who?


Stacy: Him.


Tanya: Him?


Rebecca: Red Rum?


[Stacy nodded yes.]


Caroline: Awsome! Can you ask him to tell me his secrets?


Edric: I volunteer next!


Stacy: Really?


Jaque: It’s Edric of course he wants to go.


Stacy: If you’re sure, Edric.


Caroline: Just take him make sure to tell Red Rum-


[Caroline was cut off by the lights turning off and like always Edric and Stacy disappeared off stage]


Nelly: Alex! Try again!


Alex: I’m trying. It won't budge!


Rebecca: Try harder!


Jaque: Work smarter not harder!


Nelly: Maybe it’s pull not push.


Alex: It’s my house I think I’d know if it was push or pull.


Caroline: And it was down to seven Dun Dun Dun!!


Tanya: Shut it Caroline, you're not helping we kind of want to, I don't know, live!


Caroline: I’m just saying, also if this helps I'm Pretty sure Edric will come for me.


Jaque: Caroline nobody cares.


Nelly: Try the other door?


Alex: It doesn't work.


Tanya: What do you mean it doesn't work?


Alex: It’s been blocked for months. My dad was reorganizing the garage and he blocked it.


Nelly: What do we do?


Caroline: Let’s wait it out to see who wins.


Rebecca: Caroline, maybe it’ll be better if you were taken.


Caroline: I’m fine with that.


Ed: Why Rebecca? If Caroline is taken he’ll murder us all.


Nelly: The pattern is one for one.


Alex: What if we try to break a window?


[The lights turn off and the ghost of Edric appears.]


Edric: Caroline, let’s go.


Caroline: Finally you’re here, did you see Red Rum?


Edric: I mean, not really but eventually.


Caroline: Sweet!, And it was down to six!


[The lights turned off but then back on.]


Caroline: Almost forgot, eeny meeny miny moe!


[He pointed at Nelly then the lights turned off and Caroline and Edric were gone.]


Nelly: Alex you know it’d be pretty nice if you could get the door open right about now!


Alex: Do I try a window?


Nelly: Yes! I’m going to be taken by Caroline! The Crazy Caroline


Jaque: She’s right you better smash that window now!


Alex: But tryouts!


Tanya: Death or Sports? Your choice, spoiler alert both are loose, loose. Or the third option; smash the window so we can get out of here!


Alex: Fine!


[Alex tried to smash the window with his fist but it didn't work.]


Tanya: I thought you were supposed to be strong, smash it!


Alex: I am! It won't budge!


Ed: Try it again.


[The lights turned off and there was maniacal laughing.]


Caroline: Alright Nelly time to go.


Nelly: Caroline please!


Caroline: Sorry, direct order from Red Rum, No hatred towards you Nelly but I have to.


[Alex stepped in front of Nelly.]


Alex: You’re not taking her anywhere.


Caroline: I got to.


Rebecca: Caroline, just end the chain here and no one gets hurt anymore.


Caroline: I could but that’s not how horror stories work.


[Jaque stood in front of Nelly.]


Jaque: Is this just a huge horror movie to you? 


Caroline: A little.


Jaque: Caroline, leave and break the stupid chain this is not a horror movie you can meddle in, this is serious and isn't a game! 


Caroline: Jaque, you don't go against eeny meeny miny moe!


Jaque: Again, this isn't a game!


Caroline: You’re forgetting I’m a ghost now, so…


[The lights turned off, Nelly and Caroline were gone, everyone was shocked to see Caroline got past Jaque and Alex.]


Jaque: Where’s Nelly?


Alex: How did she get through us?


Rebecca: She's a ghost, everyone returns as a ghost.


Tanya: We have to leave! Anything means necessary!


Ed: How? We’ve tried everything, our only choice is to stay here.


Tanya: No there’s got to be another choice!


Rebecca: And what do you suggest?


Jaque: Tanya How do you expect us to get out of this mess?


Alex: Technically it was your fault, you forced us to call out Red Rum


Tanya: You all are really turning against me? I just suggested it plus it would’ve happened either way!


Ed: We shouldn't turn against anyone, that's the last thing we need right now. What if we all try to break down the door?


Rebecca: It’s worth a try, we have nothing to lose.


[They all tried to break down the door but it didn't work, the lights turned off and Nelly appeared.]


Nelly: Guys, I’m sorry, truly, but I have to take one of you with me, and I think it should be Rebecca.


Rebecca: Me? Why me?


Nelly: You’re mean to me sometimes!


Rebecca: No I’m not you little nerd!


Jaque: you’re not helping your case.


Rebecca: She is a nerd.


[The lights flickered and a new ghost appeared.]


Ghost 2: Nelly, Red Rum wants you to take one, choose.


[Nelly pointed to Rebecca.]


Ghost 2: Very well.


[The lights turned off and Rebecca, Nelly, and the other ghost left the stage, the lights turned back on.]


Jaque: Hurry up and break the window!


Ed: It’s no use.


Tanya: What do you mean?


Ed: It hasn't budged a bit it's useless


[After trying so hard Alex finally got it open.]


Alex: It’s open! Hurry run!


[As Alex, Jaque, Tanya, and Ed ran out the door they only ended up right back where they were in his house.]


Tanya: What happened?


Jaque: his house is cursed! We can't leave!


Alex: We have to get out of here!


[The lights turn off and Rebecca appeared]


Rebecca: Really? You tried to protect Nelly but couldn't try and protect me?


Jaque: How could we? There was a second ghost!


Rebecca: Jaque, your jokes are bad, none of them are funny, you’re annoying and you gotta go!


[The lights turned off and Rebecca and Jaque disappeared.]


Ed: What do we do now?


Tanya: Hope someone makes it out alive!


Alex: Yeah right!


[The lights turn off and Jaque appears.]


Jaque: Long story short, blah, blah, blah, you must pay, let’s go Alex!


Alex: I haven't done anything!


Jaque: I well that’s unfortunate, oh what’s that I see? Looks like someone won't be playing sports anymore!


[Light’s Turn off and Alex and Jaque disappear.]


Tanya: Ed what do we do?


Ed: Nothing.


Tanya: What do you mean nothing?


Ed: It’s not what we are going to do, It’s what you’re going to do.


Tanya: I don't get it, what are you talking about? Ed we have to go!


[The lights turn off and everyone including the two ghosts appear on stage shackled and holding the chains was Ed.]


Tanya: Ed what’s happening?


Ed: Do I have to spell it out for you? R-E-D-R-U-M 


Tanya: Wait! You’re Red Rum?!?


Ed: Finally, you get it!


Tanya: This whole time? It’s been you?!


Ed: In the flesh… Well ghost.


Tanya: How are you here? You were with us before we went to Red Rum’s grave


Ed: Before you all came along these two ghosts resurrected me first and then I arrived at your school soon after that, the man on the bench knew who I was. He in fact was a ghost but didn't work for me. 


Tanya: Did you possess Ed?


Ed: No, this is what I looked like in high school, Ed is my real name Red Rum was a given name.


Tanya: And the ghosts behind you, why are they here?


Ed: They work for me now and quite enjoy it, right guys?


Ghost 1: Yes he’s very nice.


Ghost 2: Red Rum is very good to us.


Katherine: Yes he’s great.


Mark: A great boss.


Haylee: He’s a great leader.


Patricia: Yes, he is very polite.


Tanya: ok I get it!


Ed: Tanya, you should join us.


Stacy: Yes Tanya!


Edric: Yeah Join us.


Caroline: He’s very nice.


Nelly: Join us.


Tanya: No!


Ed: Tanya I don't think you have a choice, you’re as good as one of my ghosts now.


Rebecca: Yes Tanya don't fight anymore.


Jaque: Join us.


Alex: Please, join us!


Tanya: No!


[They surround her then the lights turn off and everyone exits the stage, there was a spotlight and the narrator came back on stage].


Narrator: This is why you should establish strong friendships… And never go to a murderer’s grave and resurrect him, this is what happens when you tempt fate.


[Lights turn off and the narrator exists everyone comes out on stage for the bow]


The author's comments:

This play was written by me and preformed at one of my local high schools, it was written for my middle school drama club, and it ended up being 26 pages. I'm in 7th grade, and this play is the only one of my plays that have been preformed, I don't specifically write only plays I like writing in general.