The Cave | Teen Ink

The Cave

Characters

Danny 

James 

Setting: Danny and James are trapped in a dark cave with a tiny crack letting in a little light. Danny and James have both been trapped for about two days and are starting to run low on food and water. 

Danny: (Lets out a huge sigh) 

James: What's wrong?

Danny: Nothing, just thinking about how this is the way I die.

James: You got any more granola bars left?

Danny:(Stays quiet)

James: Danny! Did you hear me?

Danny: What? 

James: Granola bars, do you have any?

Danny: Yeah, I got a few left.

Danny: (Slides over a granola bar across the cave)

Danny: We're so young.

James: What was that?

Danny: We're only 18, so much life left to live. And this is how we're gonna die, really? There's so much we haven't done, so many places to explore, people to meet. But it's all coming to an end. 

James: It was your idea to go on a road trip around the U.S wasn't it? You don't have anyone to really blame but yourself.

Danny: How are you so calm about this? We're probably a few days away from dying, and it seems like you're not even fazed by it.

James: I've just kind of accepted it I guess. What else can I do? Not like someone's gonna come to save us. It was your idea to not bring our phones while he hike to take in mother Earth right?

Danny: Why are you trying to make this seem like this is my fault?

James: Because it is? It was your idea to go on this trip and explore this cave, and it was your idea to keep on going deeper and deeper and now we have no idea where we are, no flashlights, just a slither of light barely coming in.

Danny: You make it seem as if I forced you to come with me. Because I remember you being very excited to do this with me.

James: I was, but that doesn't mean it's still not your fault we're here in the first place.       

Danny:(Sits in silence)

James: You got any more granola bars?

Danny: (Slides a granola bar across the cave)

(4 days later)

Danny and James haven't had any food or water for around 3 days now. They are nearing death.

Danny: This is it.

James: (Silence) 

Danny: I'm sorry.

James: For what?

Danny: This trip, telling you to come, everything.

James: It's not your fault, I'm the one who chose to come here with you. And I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have blamed you for this. I was just mad about our situation. 

Danny: What do you think will happen?

James: What do you mean?

Danny: After we die, what do you think happens?

James: Nothing. We just die, and that's it.

Danny: Interesting.

James: What about you?

Danny: Honestly, I'm not sure. A part of me believes there's a higher power out there that created us, but a part of me also believes that when we die that's it.

Danny: No, I got nothing.

James: I'm so hungry.

Danny: Before we die, I just want to let you know, you're a great friend. You've always been there for me. Even when my mom died, you were still there for me.

James: That's what friends do, right? We're there for each other, through it all. Even in our final moments, I'll still be here for you. 

Danny: (Starts to tear up)

(One day later, both Danny and James are dead, and the play ends)

A play I wrote included 2 people trapped in a cave