Hunger No More | Teen Ink

Hunger No More

By EmmaSeger22 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
EmmaSeger22 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

There is a bench in the middle of the stage with what looks like a window directly behind them. Prince Maxon, the king of Illea, is on the bench. He is in his mid 20s. He is overdressed in nice clothes, such as what a prince would wear. He has had everything he has ever wanted, except for love. He is considered a “One” among the people of his town. The social caste numbers range from 1-8. He has around 30 women in his castle competing for his love. One of which is considered a “Five”-America Singer. America is 17 years old. Him and America have a special bond that none of the other girls have with him. Maxon is in love with America, and she is deciding if she feels the same way. America will be sitting to his right. She wears a gorgeous dress, but she looks a little stiff because it is nothing she is used to wearing. Her face will wear a hopeless and sorry look as she explains the struggles her family and people like her family have to go through while being hungry. She explains to him what its like to be hungry- being a prince, he has never been hungry before- and explains why people steal food for the people they care about.

Monologue: (speaks to America) Have you (clears throat) ever been like that? (says very slow) Like starving? (America nods her head in despair, Maxon turns head to the crowd, stands up, and the spotlight goes directly on him and fades off of America) How? Why? (words speed up and he gets louder) How could I let this happen to my country? How could I let this happen to the women I adore most in the world? (looks over at America as a spotlight goes on her, words slow down, and get quieter) The women that I am in love with, has laid awake all night in her bed, struggling to fall asleep (puts hand on stomach) because the sound of her empty stomach was keeping her awake. People are fighting for something I have too much of. (begins to pace back and forth, lights fade off of America) Every day, I can consider myself full. When everyday some people have to consider themselves starving. When I’m hungry, I get the food that I need within the snap of a finger. When lower castes are hungry, they stay hungry. (looks back at crowd, begins to tear up) They stay miserable. They stay yearning for something that they may have to risk their lives to get. Who knew, something as simple as food could be such a border between what makes me a one and America a five. (wipes his tears, and gains confidence in his voice) I will change this. In the name of Illea (pauses)… oh for heavens sake, in the name of my father’s reputation I will make a difference. No one will be starving any longer. As the king of Illea, it is my time to step up and prove myself. Not only to my father or my kingdom, (lights shine on America as he says this) but for the women I am in love with. Hunger will no longer exist. (storms off stage, lights dim)

This is my monologue I wrote from the book The Selction by Kiera Cass.