Dog-Gone, No Good Kids | Teen Ink

Dog-Gone, No Good Kids

By kickinkp BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
kickinkp BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

Cast of characters:

Arnold/Arnie: Arnold is a 16-year-old boy who is known for being quirky but anxious. He is very dorky looking, and nothing about him is intimidating. He’s often clumsy and timid but is very friendly. He isn’t a natural leader, but he is friendly enough and knows most of the people in his neighborhood. He aims to please everyone and especially looks for the approval of his best friend, Johnny. He is wearing simple, casual clothing that is all black.

Johnny: Johnny is a 17-year-old boy who thinks he’s better than everyone else because he’s the oldest in his grade. He is laid back and careless, both his greatest qualities and his worst flaws. He’s big and intimidating, but shorter than Arnold by a good few inches. He wears similar clothing to Arnold. He wants Arnold to toughen up and usually shows it in non-productive ways. In reality, he really cares for his best friend.

Darlene Stanford: Darlene is a woman in her mid to late 40’s. She works in the emergency room and wears her scrubs most of the time. She lives with her husband, Larry, and their dog. She is friends with most everyone in the neighborhood because of how kind and understanding she is.

Setting: A normal, suburban neighborhood. Lamp posts light the neatly paved road running through all of RC. It separates the white cookie-cutter houses of the neighborhood all along R stage and from UC to DC so the copy-cat  houses line the street. All is quiet, and no house lights are on. Cricket noises and an owl can be heard. Arnold walks in from R stage with Johnny trailing behind. Arnold creeps across the street as if one wrong step could set off an array of alarms. Johnny, on the other hand, just walks across leisurely with his hands in his pockets. They head towards a house with its doorstep DC. There is a sign in the yard saying, “Beware of Dog.” That is the only thing that differentiates it from all the other houses. On the other side of the door, lights are turned off on a very nice, pretty living room with expensive furniture including a flat screen TV, facing the audience, and fine art sprinkled throughout the room, including a vase. Everything looks very nice and nothing is out of place.

Scene 1:

[Lights.]

Johnny: Now, you’re sure they’re gone, Arnold?

[Arnold walks up to a house and steps up onto the porch.  He turns around to Johnny.]

Arnold: Of course, I’m sure, Johnny. You’re not the one who’s been living across the street from them for the last12 years. Darlene always works the graveyard shift at the ER and Larry’s always at a friend’s house on Friday night to play poker. Well, that’s what he says at least. I’m pretty sure he’s actually a part of a knitting circle. [Arnold chuckles, looking into the small windows around the front door, just to make sure no one’s home.]

Johnny: [rolling his eyes] I can’t believe you call them by their first names. [Arnold doesn’t bother to turn around, continuing to look inside to see if anyone’s home. Johnny suddenly notices the “Beware of dog sign” in the yard and points to it] Woah, woah, woah, what’s up with this?

Arnold: [looks behind him] Oh, the dog sign? That’s just to fend off any burglars. They have a dog, but don’t worry about Chimi.

Johnny: Chimi?

Arnold: Yeah, Chimi. He’s the Stanford’s German Shepard. Total sweetheart. He couldn’t hurt a fly if he tried. His full name is Chimichanga, but everyone calls him Chimi for short.

Johnny: Judging by the informality, you’re close with the Stanfords?

Arnold: [shrugs]  I guess so. I mean, they moved here when I was four and I’ve known them ever since. They’re nice, I guess.

Johnny: Then why did you volunteer to do this?

[Beat, Arnold looks away]

Arnold: Come on. Let’s just get this done.

[Arnold lifts up the corner of a welcome mat and picks up a hidden key to unlock the door. They both walk in. Lights go up on the living room and go down on the neighborhood. Arnold immediately walks over to the TV and begins tampering with the cords behind it. Johnny stands in the doorway in awe of the fancy room.]

Johnny: Woah. Nice place.

[Johnny begins walking around the room, leaving the door open behind him. He picks up the vase to examine it.]

Arnold: [barely audible] Hey! Make sure you close the door. [Johnny either doesn’t listen or doesn’t hear him because the door is left wide open. After a second, Arnold walks up to Johnny, he doesn’t notice the open door] You ready?

[Johnny smiles mischievously before both boys run over to the TV and begin playing video games on the large flat screen.]

Johnny: We need to do this more often.

[Both boys laugh before a loud, shrill bark is heard from outside. Arnold stops playing and looks out the window while Johnny continues playing, unfazed. Arnold looks to see the door is open and his eyes widen.]

Arnold: Johnny… You closed the door, right?

Johnny[doesn’t look up, continuing to play the game]: What?

[Arnold steps in front of the screen making Johnny pause it, obviously unhappy]

Arnold [tense]: You closed the door. Right?

Johnny [humorously]: Uh, no?

Arnold [yelling]: Johnny! Oh my God! You let the dog out?!

Johnny: I didn’t know there was a dog.

Arnold: There’s a “Beware of Dog” sign in the front yard! We were literally talking about him ten minutes ago! [puts head in his hands and groans]

Johnny: Okay, okay. I might’ve left the door open but look on the bright side! We didn’t get hurt; nothing was damaged in here. I bet they won’t even realize it.

Arnold: I’m pretty sure they’ll notice their beloved dog is missing!

Johnny: Really, Arnie, just forget about it. When you get home, you won’t even remember Chimi. It’ll be like a long dream.

Arnold: Okay, that actually sounds cruel, even for you. I need to go look for him.

[Arnold walks over to the door. Johnny stands up, but doesn’t attempt to move any further from his spot.]

Johnny: Just because you heard a bark doesn’t mean it was Chimi. It didn’t even sound like a German Shepard. It was way too shrill. There has to be other dogs in this neighborhood, right? Maybe he’s in the basement, or in another room or something.

Arnold: I can’t just take that chance! What if it was him? He could be out of the neighborhood by now. The quicker we begin to search for him, the less amount of time he has to get away.

Johnny: What? It’s about to storm; you can’t go out there.

[Arnold hesitates, stepping out and begins to walk away.]

Arnold [hostilely]: Whatever. Hope you have fun.

[Arnold stomps out of the house and exits the stage. Johnny looks between the door and the tv, before groaning and dropping the controller. He gets up and walks out of the house and off stage to follow Arnold. This time, he slams the door shut behind him. Lights fade out.]

Setting: Arnold and Johnny walk through a vacant park. Trees are scattered around the area. Green foliage and grass are lit up only by a dim lamppost with a park bench under it in the center of the stage. It is still in the middle of the night. Arnold calls out for Chimi and makes clicking noises every so often. Johnny trails behind, looking down at his phone, making no attempt to search for the dog.

Scene 2:

Arnold: [frustrated] Aren’t you going to help? I mean you were the one who let the dog out.

Johnny: Yeah, okay. [looks up and calls out in normal voice] Chimi! [looks back to Arnold] Hmm. Didn’t work. [Johnny looks back down to his phone. Arnold rolls his eyes and scoffs.]

Arnold [bitterly]: Thank you. So much. [slowly his voice gets louder] Your laziness is really helping us find this freaking dog! [Arnold sits on the bench, putting his face in his hands. Johnny stops in front of Arnold.]

Johnny: [he hesitates, then sighs, looking up from his phone] Okay, okay. Uh. What was Chimi like? If we know his personality, it that can help us find him.

Arnold: [looks up showing his eyes are red and he’s on the verge of crying] He’s timid and sweet. [smile, fondly] He’s scared of practically everything. But how’s that going to help us?

Johnny: [he sits next to Arnold on the bench and pauses to think for a second] So, uh, if he’s scared right now, he’s probably hiding under something.

[Arnold and Johnny look at each other as if a lightbulb just went off on top of their heads. Slowly, they both lean forward, in sync, and both look in between their legs, under the bench, in one quick motion. They look at each other and shake their heads. Johnny sighs and rests his elbows on his knees so he’s hunched over. Arnold groans and leans back against the back of the bench. Beat. A crack of thunder can be heard, making both boys jump.]

Johnny: Maybe we should go home.

Arnold: What? You were just about to help me start looking for Chimi. You already want to give up?

Johnny: It’s going to storm, Arnold. We can’t stay out here all night.

Arnold: Tell that to the Stanford’s dog you let out! Do you think he should be out here anymore than we should be?

Johnny [calmer]: Arnold. Don’t do this, I’m sure the dog is fine. Someone could’ve spotted him and taken him in. They could be posting “found dog” posters all over town by now. The Stanfords will never know it was you who let their dog out.

Arnold: [enraged, stands up] Me? ME?! If I remember correctly, I wasn’t the one who left the door open when I was specifically told to shut it! I wasn’t the one who set the dog loose!

Johnny: [hostilely, gritting his teeth] Well, maybe you should’ve checked, to make sure the damn door was closed. Did you think about that? I mean, if you cared about the dumb dog so much. Or are you content with blaming it all on me? I mean, why should you ever trust me to do anything right? Not like anybody else does. I just seem to keep doing everything wrong!

[Both boys are standing and looking at each other as if they are about to duel. Neither say anything, but seethe as they look at each other. Another shot of thunder cracks in the background. Neither are affected.]

Johnny: [breaks] I’m going home. [he begins to walk off stage. Rain starts pouring down]

Arnold: You’re going to leave me out here alone to search for the dog? 

[Johnny stops and turns to look at Arnold]

Johnny: It wasn’t my decision.

[Johnny walks offstage. Arnold stands in silence as he gets drenched quickly as another shot of thunder can be heard. He looks up, then around at his surroundings, and sighs.]

Arnold: I’m sorry [beat] but I have to get home, Chimi.

Setting: The setting is the same set as in scene 1 except it is now the afternoon. Darlene walks through her house and leaves, locking the door behind her. She carries her purse and looks as if she is about to head out for the day, wearing her work scrubs. Arnold, sick from being out in the rain, is walking down the sidewalk, now wearing dry clothes. His head is down shamefully. He sneezes, then, he sees Darlene locking her front door. He bites his lip before sucking in a breath and walking over to her as she’s about to leave her property.

Scene 3:

Arnold [nervously]: H-hi there, Mrs. Stanford.

Darlene: Arnold? Are you okay? You seem shaken up, honey. You should go home and get some rest.

Arnold: No, no. I’m- uh- fine. I just thought... I just needed to tell you something.

Darlene [smiling]: Is it good news? Did you get that new video game you wanted?

Arnold: No. I- uh, it’s about [beat, quieter] something else.

Darlene [confused]: Okay. I’m not sure I can be much help, though, depending on what you’re having trouble with. Is it not something you can talk to your mom about?

Arnold: No- I, um… It doesn’t really involve my mom… but more, you, I guess.

Darlene: Oh. Well, okay then. Tell me.

Arnold [very slowly]: O-okay. Well, you see [beat] I was- I mean my friend, Johnny and I- we were, um, just strolling around the neighborhood and stuff and I- uh- we were [beat] just um [long pause].

Darlene: Um… well. Do you mind if we continue this later, Arnold? I hate to be rude, but I really need to go and run an errand. Would you like me to drive you home? You look sick. I mean, I know it’s just down the road, but I’d feel a lot better knowing you’re home and starting to feel better.

Arnold: No no. I just need to tell you… um-

[Darlene’s phone rings]

Darlene [pulls phone out of purse] Sorry, Arnold. Just let me take this real quick. [answers the phone] Hello?... Yes, this is she… yes… okay… I’m on my way. [hangs up and begins typing on her phone, not looking up at Arnold]

Arnold: I, uh. So, Mrs. Stanford, I really need to tell you about last night before-

Darlene [looks up, putting her phone away. She didn’t hear Arnold’s last line] Sorry, Arnold. Can you hold on for a minute? That was the kennel; they needed to make sure I was coming to pick up Chimi.

Arnold: Wha-What?

Darlene: Yes. Larry and I knew about the weather last night and we knew Chimi would never be able to survive through the thunderstorm alone. I mean, you know how timid and sweet he is and how he’s scared of everything. With me working at the ER and Larry at his [air quotes] “poker night,” Chimi would be hiding under the kitchen table, scared to death all night. We decided that whenever it storms, and neither of us will be home, we take Chimi to the kennel for the night. I hope you don’t mind, but I really need to go and pick him up.

Arnold: Oh… oh! No no go on. I’m not going to stop you.

Darlene: But what about the thing you needed to tell me? It seemed pretty important.

Arnold: Uh… [suddenly more upbeat] Phhfft, don’t worry about it; it wasn’t anything important.

Darlene: You know, a night at the kennel is pretty expensive. Maybe whenever it storms, from now on, you could come over to our house and stay with Chimi. He really likes you. And we have that new gaming system that works amazingly with our TV. You could even bring a friend if you’d like!

Arnold [paling]: Y-yeah. I’ll, um, I’ll think about it. Thanks, Mrs. Stanford.

[Darlene smiles before walking behind the house on DR and offstage. Arnold lets out a deep, relieving breath. A bird tweeting can be heard in the background as he walks off in the opposite direction, towards stage left.]

[Lights.]