the sad, but happy story | Teen Ink

the sad, but happy story

May 10, 2018
By ionic33 BRONZE, Melissa, Texas
ionic33 BRONZE, Melissa, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

One day on a nice Saturday afternoon Iasiah, a kid with depression, sits on his bed, listening to Five Finger Death Punch through his Playstation, while texting his crush.  Trying to relax, Richard bursts his fat stomach in the door then, yells at Iasiah for the smell, then he yells at him for playing his music too loud.  Richard leaves his room. Iasiah sheds a tear and in his mind says, “Why am I not good enough for anyone?”  Iasiah cussed at himself and sheds another tear. He would’ve been called a wimp in his family especially if they saw a thirteen year old boy cry, maybe even more by his step-dad.
His real father got a divorce with his mother when he was three years old, he saw his father every other weekend, but Iasiah wanted to move in there. There he could smile and not fake it, there he could be himself and not what his family wanted, happy. Iasiah was still texting his crush and his “friends” people who said they would be there for him but never were. In truth he only had one real friend his name was Xavier.  About an hour later Richard came into his room yelling “GET YOUR SHOES ON NOW WE’RE GOING TO A FESTIVAL.”
Iasiah hated going out into public unless he needed to, for some reason Iasiah felt fury, anger, hatred.
“No” Iasiah yelled.
Richard came rushing into Iasiahs room, “What did you say to me?”
“I said no.”
“Fine. You don’t have to go, but your playstation will,” as Richard reaches to unhook the playstation, Iasiah springs up and pushes Richard. Richard grabs Iasiah's throat and starts choking him.
“Do it, I dare you!” Iasiah yells, then he gets out of the choke and grabs Richard’s head and slams it against the wall, denting the wall.  Richard punches Iasiah in the jaw and then Richard goes to his car and drives off to who-knows-where.
Iasiah sits back down on his bed and breaks down crying.  He looks up to see a dark misty figure moving throughout the room. Wherever he went, he left darkness there. He finally spoke out.
“Hello Iasiah...I am part of you…the thing that destroyed your happiness...your depression.”
Iasiah gets confused and looks up.
“No you’re not. You’re not real, you’re in my imagination, go away.”
“I cannot do that...I have came here for one reason...to tell you that I’m never going away… I am part of you.”
“I know...but why-.”
“Why are you not good enough, smart enough, not pretty enough, not skinny enough.”
“Y-yes” he says looking down.
“Because I am here, I make you think that...I make you think the girl you were texting hates you, doesn’t even care about you, no one cares about you...not even yourself.”
“Shut up! That’s not true - just shut up!” Iasiah screams.
“Don’t yell at me or I’ll mess with your head even more. Now let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we?” Depression says with no expression. Iasiah looks up at him.
“Remember this little happy kid who would stand up for what he believes in, always had a smile on his face?” Depression holds out a glass-like video with Iasiah as a little kid playing with his toys.
“That’s not who I am anymore.” Iasiah mutters.
“You’re right, but we both know you’d rather let yourself get hurt for someone else. Why do you think almost everyone bullies you?”
Iasiah begins to look around for his razor blade. “Go away. I’m too stressed out right now.”
“Go grab the vodka while you’re at it.”
“Shut up.” Iasiah gets up from his bed and looks around. “Where is it?”
“Right here, but you’re not going to have it,” The mist holds up a rusty razor blade with dried blood on it.
“Why? I need it.”
“Because there is a risk of you dying! Without you, where would I go?” it suddenly disappears. “Now let's get back to our little trip. Oh no, it's your father hugging you and saying goodbye to you. In where? The courthouse. Oh look, it's the little kid crying and saying don’t go. You could never handle change.” Depression chuckles “And I was born here.”
Iasiah starts to cry and wants to look away, but he can’t. Rewatching it, that moment over and over, Iasiah felt his tears roll down his cheek slowly. “Why are you doing this to me?”
“To show you how bad I am. Now let's look at this one,” he pulls up another one of Iasiah’s painful memories.
“Ah remember this one. It’s you getting beat up for the first time.” He holds out another memory. It’s him getting punched, kicked, and stabbed over and over. The worst thing is, he let it happen. Iasiah let himself get beat up! He was looking out for a much smaller kid who would be screaming from this. But Iasiah wouldn't give in. He refused to show pain. That’s what he did in life.
After that beating he went home with a few broken ribs and a broken jaw, arm, nose and a lot of stab wounds in his chest area. He didn't go to the hospital, nor did he tell anyone about it. He should’ve been dead, but for some reason he refused to die. He let that happen everyday, then finally one day he fought back and he took one down.  Then he got beat really hard.


Iasiah watched over and over until he was filled with rage.
“Angering, isn’t it?” his depression finally asked. “You know you want to crush them into the ground.” It was true. Iasiah wanted to do the same to them, but worse.
“Yes… it is!” He was full of anger.
“Now what’s this one?” It's Iasiah with his first girlfriend on a roof looking at the sunset, then Iasiah whispers a poem to her, “He’s an artist. He draws not with paper and pencil, but with a blade and his skin...” then she rolls up her sleeves and whispers:
“It's okay I draw, too,” then they both kiss.
“Where is she now,? Oh, that’s right - dead! Gone forever and there was nothing you could do about it.”
“You know what? I’ve had enough of you! I’m done with it. I’ve dealt with it for 13 long years!”
Suddenly  Iasiah picks up his phone and calls his father and says only two words: “Moving in.”
That night, Richard comes home drunk and starts to grab a belt to whip Iasiah, but before he could, Iasiah runs to him and puts on the ground. Iasiah spends the rest of the year at his friend’s house. As soon as the school year ends, he got on a plane to California.
He actually enjoyed his life with a nice step-mother and his awesome dad. Soon his depression went away and was replaced by a new friend, Happiness.

 


 


The author's comments:

I made it because it was a school project