How the Sun Came to be | Teen Ink

How the Sun Came to be

By Cassidy BRONZE, Pleasant Grove, Utah
Cassidy BRONZE, Pleasant Grove, Utah

I tilted the rusted water can enough to sprinkle little rain drops onto the growing seeds that were planted. For there was no sun, so the town can only plant certain seeds that don’t need sun’s light. The never has been a so-called-sun as many called it. There has never been one and probably never will, I think gloomily. We live in a hole, now we know how ants are inside, not out. I continued to water every seed in sight. No wonder some people call me Mother Nature, I am a nature person, who cares for every living thing on this planet. As I hummed the plants a lullaby, a voice called my name and it sounded urgent.

“Neola?” it was a woman’s voice.

I stood up and turned to where the voice had sounded, I saw a beautiful woman standing there, she had light china-blue eyes, and long wavy blond hair that fell down her shoulders. She had high cheekbones and thin lips. Her skin was a bit pale but that was probably because she is very scared. She was wearing a ragged blue-white dress. Her eyes were tight as if holding back tears. “Yes?” I said to her.

“It’s my husband Neola, he is very sick, can you come and check on him, please?” she asked very quickly.

“Of course, my dear,” I said warmly, that seem to relax her a bit.

“Oh, thank you Neola, thank you.” she turned away and started walking, back the way she came, I followed her. We walked into town where most of the houses are, and at the very edge of town was a small red-brown hut that looked packed with mud the roof was made of thick straws (we don’t have wood). The door was made of tied together straw. We opened the straw door and entered the hut, it smelt thickly of daisies and it was very dark inside.
She led me to a small room and to a bed, but the bed was occupied and it was coughing a ton. It was a man occupying it. I came straight to the bed and knelt by the bed and put my hand on his forehead, then his heart and counted the beats of it. It took at least twenty minutes of quietness-except for his coughing. I looked up to his face and saw that his dark brown hair had bits of gray in it, he was slightly bald. Then I gasped, what stood out most were his eyes, they looked very sunken and they seemed to be in his skull, it was like black bruises around his whole eye. They were looking wildly around the room, didn’t seem to stay on one place for a long time. It was a horrible sight. I imagined his eyes would be beautiful with his olive-toned skin. Right there I knew what he had. I turned to face the wife. Her eyes were very wide and she had a horrified expression on her face.
“I’m afraid he has a brain tumor.” I whispered softly
I heard her gasp, then she said, “I don’t believe it! I just can’t! Oh, Neola there has to be a way to cure it, right?” she moaned. She put her face into her hands and kept moaning, shaking her head.
I thought threw all the recipes I had ever made and found the one I was looking for, The Fickle Stump recipe. It helps cure all sickness lumps that have formed in the human body. I looked back at the pale human with sunken eyes, calculating. Then I looked back at the moaning woman then back again. Hmm. Let’s see if they truly love each other they shall both stay. Let me ask, “My dear, do you truly love him?”
She stopped her moaning that instant and looked up with swollen eyes, she looked at me then at him then back at me with wide china-blue eyes. “Well, of course I do, Mother Nature. If I didn’t I would have left a long time ago, now wouldn’t I?” She had a confused expression in her wide eyes.

“Good, now let me see about him.” I turned and looked at the pale man full in the face and asked, “Do you truly love her?”

It was very silent it seemed that everyone was holding their breath, including me, and then he moaned something that sounded like a, yes. Well that did it, I still looked at the pale man when I told the woman, “I will make a recipe that will help him return to full health again.” I turned to her and said softly, “Don’t worry my dear I will come quickly once I have finished the recipe, but till then you will need to keep a cold, wet rag on his forehead. It will help, the tumor will slow down a bit, long enough for me to finish. Come to me, if something is wrong, I will gladly help you.” I got up and walk up to the woman and patted her hand gently with my own, and walked out of the room, through the front door and up the dirt road toward my hut.

I finally reached the rocks that guide me to the hut. My hut was the farthest from the town, it was made of mud and was covered with plants that seemed glued to it and wrapped around the hut. The door was plants that was knitted together tightly and was somehow hooked to the hut wall. I walked along the line of rocks and ended up at my front door. I pushed it opened and got welcomed with the smell of roses and lavender.
My hut had only three rooms, my living room, my bedroom, and the kitchen. I walked past my living room, it was small but the warm colors on the walls were very welcoming, there were two couches, one big one small, there were shelves that lined out on the walls and they were occupied full of pictures that the town members have given me, all full with bright smiles, it makes my day even better. I walked down a small hallway into the kitchen.
The kitchen was a similar size as the living room in the middle of the kitchen was a single skinned straw table. The straw seemed to be stripped into two, and then woven together. It made a smooth, thick platform, the legs of the table top were stacked stones there was a pillar at each corner of the table top. The same way went for two chairs. On the two outer walls were lined with cabinets with a color of a soft yellow-gold. The walls around the kitchen were painted with a welcoming red/maroon.
Below was a straw counter-stone also held it up. Along the counter were two pale blue buckets (we didn’t have any sinks, we had wells and a water-cleaning process) one was a large size and the other was a smaller size, the larger one was the cleaning bucket and the smaller one was just fresh purified water, mostly used as cleansing water. The rest of the counter was pretty clean except a few scraps of cut up plants. On the side of the counter was another pale bucket but this one was full of no-use plants. Once it is full I go outside and bury them so Mother Earth can have her plants back to decompose. Currently, it is partially full.
I walked over to the counter and bent down to reach under and pulled out a very tiny bucket that I use for gathering plants to use. I turned around and walked out through the front door to the garden.
The garden was very large, it had about every plant here (well of course not the plants that needs the sun’s light). It was a couple acres long and a few acres wide; with a cute, small white picket fence that wraps around. There was a small iron gate that made an entrance to the garden and an exit to the dark world. There were rows and rows of different plants that were organized neatly.
I walked slowly to the entrance and unlocked the gate; the lock made a loud click and swung open on its creaky hinges. I entered, turned and closed the gate with another click it locked into place. Walking slowly across the garden stopping every now and then to see what plants are ripe. While walking I let my finger tips brushing the plants’ leathery leaves. The smell of combined plants’ perfume filled my nostrils. I finally found the plants that I needed for the recipe (I guess you could call it potion making). I crouched down picked five Purple Plumps (they are like tomatoes except purple and have different reason) and three long, green Pepans (they look like cucumbers, but a lighter green). I stood, stretched, and paced myself back to the entrance gate.
I entered the kitchen, walked over to the counter and set the tiny bucket down. I turned and reached for the cleansing bucket. I put the bucket on the counter and rolled up my sleeves up to about my elbows. I lifted the tiny bucket and dumped all the materials out into the cleansing bucket. It made a splash and got me all wet down the front of my dress.
I sighed and pushed it out of my mind; I will deal with it later. I stuck my hands in the bucket with the plants and started scrubbing the plants clean.
After I was done cleaning the plants, I crouched and searched for “The Musher.” A few minutes past and I finally found what I was looking for. When I touched it, it rolled away from my searching hands. I had to lunge at it to get it. When I felt it again I quickly grabbed it and gripped it firmly, as if it was going to run away.
It was made of woven straws it was extremely smooth. It had smooth oval rocks at the ends-the straw was like a cage around it. In the middle where it was the thinnest there was this plant-like material that was rubbery and smooth-it was like a cousin to the seaweed family or something. It is used as a grip.
I stood, careful not to hit my head and went back to the bucket. I lifted The Musher and brought it down slowly into the bucket. Carefully aiming it on a plant, and when I did I squished it. I repeated the process seven more times. It took about an hour repeating it numeral times.
My throat was getting parched and my mouth was getting dry. I promised myself to get a drink after the process is completed. The recipe/potion was a little clumpy, but not too much. I walked away from that area of that counter and went to the farthest cabinet (since there aren’t any doors to the cabinets the people around here usually called them cubbies). Reached in and searched until I found a cup. I pulled it out. It was made of woven plant material into a cone-like form only flat on the bottom I brought it back to the bucket and set it down.
I grabbed the bucket and slowly poured it into the cup until it was a quarter way full. I set the bucket back down and lifted up The Musher. I slowly peeled off the plant-like gripper and let The Musher roll in my hand.
Once I got the grip off I flattened it out on the counter. It was roughly round like a circle. It was also the perfect size for the cup. I put it on over the hole on top of the cup. I sealed the edges to the side of the cup. I shook the cup a little and set it back down to let the potion settle. It would take it about a half hour till it is done.
The dryness of my mouth and throat reminded me that I was thirsty. I turned on my heel to head for the door but stopped just as quickly. I remembered also that I had gotten wet by the splash by the plants. I looked down and saw that the front of my dress was all wrinkled. The drink is going to have to wait.
I headed out into the small hallway, but headed in the opposite direction of the front door. I entered the first and only door opening in this hallway. It was my bedroom.
It was smaller than the kitchen and living room. it was probably half the size. There was only a bed big enough for one. It was also made of woven straw. The bed sheet was hand-made cotton and for the covering of the cotton was clothing. It was crudely made, but it was accurate and warm.
Next to the bed was a wardrobe (also made of woven straw). It was more of a giant cubby, there were no doors. The clothing were neatly folded and stacked nicely. There was a rocking chair in the far left corner it was made of the strange plant material
On the other side of the bed was an open doorway. It had the same plant material woven into a door. I went straight to the wardrobe. I dug through a pile and chose a green and white dress. I put it on my arm acting like a hanger. Walking straight to the door that exited outside, right outside there was rocks flattened to the ground to be made as a pathway. I followed the pathway to a little straw building. It was about the size of a port-a-potty, it is used for the same reason.
I reached the door of the little building (which was woven thickly of plant and straw for privacy). I pushed the thick door aside and moved inward. I only walked two steps till I hit a mud-dried hand-made bowl filled with water. I looked into it and saw a face staring back at me.
She had long, beautiful black hair that ran down her back to her waist and fell over her shoulders. Her air looked silky. Her eyes were wide, almond shape eyes their color were a liquid hazel. High cheekbones gave her a Cherokee look in her. She had full, red lips that were smiling. Her skin was a fair tan. She smiled back at me.
I looked away from the bowl and quickly got dressed. I went back to the bowl and washed my face. My reflection rippled. I turned on my heel and left the little building. I retraced my steps back to the hut. Went to the hallway and then to the kitchen. To the cup on the counter, picked it up and went to the front door. Out I went.
Down the rock path into the city, I went to the hut of the sick man and his wife. It took me awhile. I walked up to their straw door and knocked on the mud wall next to it. No one answered so I knocked again. It was quiet. Quiet enough to hear a faint, “come in” it somehow went through the thick mudded walls. I pushed open the door and walked in, again I was welcomed by the smell of daisies. I walked down the hallway and into the same room that I went before. It was dark, there were little red and white candles glowing. It gave the darkness a red tint to it. The smell seems to clear my thoughts. It was like a sanitizing smell. I ignored the smell and its impact and focused on the surroundings.
There was a person sitting on the bed with something in their lap. They had long hair covering their face. I assumed it was the wife. With the sick man’s head in her lap, she was supporting his head and holding a rag on his forehead. The man’s eyes were closed and he was breathing slowly. The pain must be receding, good. I knocked softly on the wall to get their attention.
The woman looked up and saw the cup in my hand and smiled at me. I walked over to her and whispered, “Here,” I gave her the cup. “Give him a teaspoon a day for three days, after that he would be back to health.”
She looked down at the cup and careful not to wake up her husband she whispered, “I hope your right. I can’t live without him. Not that I doubt you.” She added quickly and smiled apologetic at me.
“Well, I wish I could do more. But if you do need help I will be there for you and your husband,” I looked at him, and noticed that his skin had more color. The bruises around his eyes were fading. “Keep me up to date on how he is.”
I smiled a last smile and left the room. Into the hallway and made my way out the front door and up the dirt road; up the rock pathway and to my front door. I was about to push the door away when I found a note with a flower-that doesn’t need light. I picked up the note and read:

Meet me at the River Woods’ big oak,
When the sky is at its darkest point;
We need to talk.
Yours,

Prince Ogway

I looked up from the note and couldn’t breathe. Prince Ogway wants to meet me at River Woods’ big oak? He is the prince of the land. The king, chief Ogway, has ruled the land for years. He is a great leader. I looked at the sky it was getting to its darkest point. In about twenty-five minutes it will reach. I turned around and started straight towards the biggest oak tree in the land (it is past the village). It would only take a few minutes to get there.
I reached the villages’ border line, and crossed it. I hiked up the hill where the tree rooted. The hill was a rocky terrain, but managed to make it too the top. I looked at the figure that was leaning against the trunk. It was Prince Ogway.
He had long, dark brown hair that went down to his shoulders. His eyes were a startling, mossy green. His skin was the same color as mine. The Indian clothing went perfectly with the color. He smiled at me and waved me over. I obeyed and walked till there were a couple of feet between us. I looked at him straight in the eye. He was a little taller than me so I had to tilt my chin up a little bit to see. “explain.” Was all I said.
His smile got even wider. “Ok, I have been watching you for some time. I’ve seen what you do for the people in the village. You are amazing.”
“You were stalking me?” I was actually a little mad about it. The emotion overwhelmed me; I haven’t had the feeling of anger for a long time. I disliked it when someone was always watching me.
“I guess you could call it like that, but in a good way,” he added quickly. “You are an amazing woman of nature.”
“So what is the reason you have asked me here?” I prompted. I still calmly kept eye contact with him. After a while he looked away and down to the hole that was next to the Big Oak, it has been there for generations. It was the place where the tree before this was rooted. That tree was so deeply rooted that when it died and decomposed it left a hole in the ground. Where you could look deeply into the earth; it was big enough to have a six foot person lay horizontal and still fall. It has been there for a long time.
“I’ll get straight to the point,” he took a deep breath and met my eyes and started again, “It is because I am at the age where I am forced to pick a person to be forever with. And . . . I chose you.” He said the last part quietly. He reached behind him and pulled out a straw and plant mixed together and woven into one, crown (instead of rings we have crowns to propose).
I stood there just staring at it. I felt my eyes widen as I realized what I was staring at. He was proposing to me! I looked up into his jolly, green eyes, but stood there speechless. Before I could put the puzzle completely together he said, “Neola, will you be with me forever?” he was on both knees (instead of one we do both knees on the ground; it’s a tradition). He was still smiling widely.
I finally was able to speak and I blurted, which I quickly regretted, “Oh! Prince Ogway, I-I don’t think I can do this. I just am not ready. I am sorry. I don’t think I can stand more responsibility, let alone ruling. I am sorry, Prince Ogway, but I am going to have to refuse.” I was now the one to look away as he frowned. His frown quickly turned to anger and then fury.
“WHAT! You cannot refuse the Prince! How dare you!” with a quick shove he pushed me closer to the hole. I tried to talk but he wasn’t listening he was on a role. He pushed me again and I ended up on the edge. One more push I would fall. “I cannot tolerate this! You must be banished! He pushed one last time and I fell.
As I was falling I sent a quick prayer to Mother Earth to save me. I kept falling and I was panicking more than ever then suddenly it went away. I suddenly felt utterly calm. I looked around and saw these thick vines come out of nowhere and were wrapping me into a cocoon type way. I heard peaceful music and someone whispering my name. “Neola. Neola we will preserve you.”
I felt some strange tingling inside of me and a burst of energy. I looked down and saw my whole body was glowing yellow! I felt lighter and happier. There was a burst and saw myself rocketed up toward the main ground. I went through the hole and kept going until I was way above. I was floating! I looked down and saw that I was completely yellow. I was shining so bright that I looked round. There was a word that whispered in my head. “sun.” and I knew it would be what I will be called, sun.
I look upon the land and saw Prince Ogway. He was on the ground, crying. I hated it when people cried it just hurt me. I started to cry and notice that my tears were going all over the village. Another word entered my head and I felt that it was the right word, “Rain.” I tried to talk to the man on the ground and felt the inside of my thoughts reach outward toward him. I managed to say:
“Do not cry, child. You should not be pained. What is hurting you?”
He stopped, looked around and whispered, “Neola? Is that you?” His voice was cracked.
I answered, “Yes, it is me. The one shining above you; the one that is crying for you, yes it is me.”
He smiled, looked up at me. “I am sorry; I pushed you into the hole. I-I let my temper take control. I am sorry.” He sounded defeated.
I smiled back at him, “Do not cry. This is the way it was meant to be. I am now able to watch over all of Nature’s children.” After that I felt myself automatically rotate to the direction of the mountains, and knew that it was time for me to sleep. Before Prince Ogway disappeared from my sight I said, “I will return when it is time for me too. Now is the time for me to sleep. Good night, my child.” And I disappeared over the mountains and slept.

Neola was forever the sun. She watched over all of Nature’s children and cared for them. She did everything in her power to keep them happy. To communicate with them she spoke to them through her thoughts. Soon every children of Nature knew about the story of Neola. They told them about their news, and kept Neola up to date on everything see can’t see. This is some of the news:

The husband of the wife was soon better and returned back to full health. The tumor was magically destroyed somehow through the potion/recipe that Neola gave them. They are now living more happily than before.

The Prince was shortly married after the “incident” and is living happily as a King and his Queen of the land. He visited Neola every time he got the chance to and filled her in on what has been happening.
When the village found out what the Prince did to Neola. They missed her dearly but now are able to see her everyday and speak with her. So they let the Prince go.

But they all lived happily ever after.