The Enchanted Flower | Teen Ink

The Enchanted Flower

By Kamie GOLD, White House, Texas
Kamie GOLD, White House, Texas
18 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"- Eleanor Roosevelt
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"-Eleanor Roosevelt
"Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn't be done"- Amelia Earhart

In Moonstone Kingdom, a small kingdom near the sea, there lived a young girl named Kate Summers. Kate was almost 18 years old and one of two sisters. Princess Sapphire Summers was 19 years old and Kate’s older sister. Kate’s parents never let her go anywhere alone because she was the younger princess and they thought it would not be safe for her.
One day, while playing hide and seek with her sister in the royal maze garden, Kate came across a very odd but interesting flower in the center of the maze. The flower was a bright purple color, had three diamond petals, each one in the shape of a heart, and was covered in red poke-a-dots. Kate went up to the flower and was about to pick it when someone grabbed her wrist. Kate looked back to see who grabbed her and saw her sister, Sapphire, holding her wrist.
When Sapphire and Kate returned to the castle, headed to the throne room, then Sapphire said to their parents, King Nathaniel Summers and Queen Mia Summers,” Mother, father, Kate got to the center of the maze garden and found it. I know the legend but Kate does not.” Kate, very confused, asked,” Mother, father, what legend is Sapphire speaking of?” Their mother, Queen Mia, asked Kate,” Have you ever heard the legend about the heart-shaped flower, my child?” Kate replied,” No, mother. I have never heard a legend of a flower.” King Nathaniel spoke up,” My queen, please tell the child later in the evening… I know, tell it to all the children before bed tonight.” Queen Mia replied,” Alright, I will. Now, please run along and we will see you at supper.” Sapphire said alright then grabbed Kate’s hand and led her out of the throne room.
That night at supper (around 8:00), Kate asked her family,” Can someone please tell me what that flower was and why was it in the center of the royal maze garden? Why is that flower there and why does it look so odd?” Her father, King Nathaniel, said,” Please, my child. Enough questions for tonight. Your mother will tell you all about the flower before bed tonight. Now, please, eat your supper.” With that being said, Kate stopped asking questions and finished her supper. After supper (8:30), Kate and her sister were excused for the rest of the evening until curfew, which was 10:00.
Sapphire agreed to take Kate to the festival that was being held in the town that evening. Before Sapphire and Kate left, their mother came up to them, handed Sapphire two cloaks, and said,” I know your curfew is 10:00 but can you please be home, safe and sound, by 9:30. There is something special about tonight.” Kate was confused but Sapphire said,” All right, Mother. We will be home by 9:30. See you soon.” On their way into town, Sapphire and Kate put on the cloaks their mother had given them. When the princesses walked into town, Sapphire took Kate’s hand and led her through the crowd.
During the celebration, Sapphire and Kate saw a bunch of boys huddled around something. So the sisters walked over to see what the boys were looking at. When they got through the crowd of boys, they saw one boy kicking a sick, helpless, kitten. Kate said to the boy,” Stop! Stop kicking that sick kitten! That helpless animal did nothing to you!” The townsfolk stopped the celebration and watched the children.
The boy that was kicking the kitten was, now, looking at Kate. The boy said,” This cat did nothing to me but what does it matter to you? You cannot stop me! So why don’t you back to your house and do the dishes or something?” The boys that made up the crowd just started laughing. The boy was about to kick the kitten again when Kate shoved the boy to the ground and said,” I would but where is joy in doing something like that?”
Another boy pushed his way through the crowd of boys, then said,” Dang! Tristan, you just got beat by a girl!” Tristan said,” Be quiet, Zack!” Kate picked up the poor kitten and walked back to Sapphire. Zack walked up to Sapphire and Kate, and said,” I am sorry for my brother. He has a ‘small’ temper. Are you alright, miss?” Kate said,”Yes. Zack… was it?” Zack nodded. “My name is Princess Kate and that is my older sister, Princess Sapphire,” Kate said as she pulls off the hood of her cloak, then Sapphire does the same.
Sapphire had perfectly blond hair, blue eyes, and skin as white as porcelain. While Kate had light brown hair, aquamarine colored eyes, and skin the perfect tan color. Zack and the rest of the town were surprised while Tristan fell in love with Princess Kate as soon as she pulled off her hood. Tristan, now on his feet, whispered to Zack,” Wait, there are two princesses?” Zack elbowed Tristan in his side then said to the princesses,” Once again, I am sorry for my brother, your highness! I do not know where his manners went but he seems to have lost them.”
Sapphire was about to speak when Kate asked if she could speak and Sapphire accepted. Kate said,” Hello everyone! My name is Princess Kate. I am 17 and Princess Sapphire’s younger sister, and I have never been off the castle grounds because my parents worry for my safety. I love the town even though this is my first time here. I watch all the town celebrations from my bedroom window through my telescope. This town is so full of energy and life.” Sapphire put a hand on Kate's arm. A woman from the crowd said,” I thought King Nathaniel and Queen Mia only had one daughter?” Kate asked,” May I ask your name, ma’am?” The woman answered,” My name is Ella Farway, your highness, and I am the local tailor. I am also Tristan’s and Zack’s older sister.”
Sapphire said,” My parents did not want anyone to know about Princess Kate until her 18th birthday party. My parents believed it was to protect your families and our family. There was so much chaos when I was born, for all of you and for us.” The townsfolk, then, continued to celebrate while Ella was talking with her brother, Tristan.
The princesses were watching the celebration when a man asked them to be in the celebration. Sapphire was about to refuse when Kate agreed so Sapphire decided to join as well. After the celebration was over, Sapphire, Kate, and the sick kitten headed towards the palace. When they got to the palace, Kate went straight to their bedroom to take care of the kitten, while Sapphire went to the royal library until curfew. When the clock struck ten o’clock, Sapphire and their mother entered the room.
Once the young princesses were in their beds, their mother said,” Now I am going to tell you: The Legend of the Enchanted Flower. There is a legend about a very odd flower that grows here, in the royal gardens. The flower was a beautiful bright purple color. It had three diamond petals, each one in the shape of a heart, and was covered in red poke-a-dots.
According to legend, the flower was created when a tear from a heartbroken witch hit the soft soil of the royal gardens. The witch’s heart was broken by a selfish and greedy prince who only wanted her power. When the witch said she couldn’t give the prince what he wanted, the prince grabbed a knife and stabbed her in the chest. The witch used her magic to throw the prince into a wall, then ran to the royal gardens to hide, where she cried until she bled to death. A tear from the heartbroken witch landed on a seed buried within the earth and enchanted it.
The legend says whoever touches the flower out of greed will turn into a statue of gold. Touching the flower out of heartbreak will turn a person into a monster, but if someone touched the flower out of love, the first person that someone sees after touching the flower is his or her lover. The only way to fix the harm caused by the flower is by pulling the flower out of the ground.
However, there is one rule to the flower: the pure of heart must pull the flower out. If a person tries to pull the flower out without a pure heart, that person will die from the pollen of the enchanted flower. Everyone in the kingdom knows this legend but only the royal family, the royal grounds keepers, and the royal treasurer knows the enchanted flower is real. Now, please get some rest, my darling daughters.”
After saying that, Queen Mia blew out the candles in the princess’s room and left the sleeping princesses to their dreams. The next morning at breakfast, Sapphire told their mother and father about last night. King Nathaniel was intrigued by the boy, while Queen Mia was concerned for the safety of Princess Kate.
King Nathaniel sent word to the town saying,” The family of the town tailor, Ella, Zack and Tristan Farway, has been summoned by the royal family, immediately.” Ella, Zack, and Tristan were escorted to the palace and were told to wait in the throne room. Ella asked one of the palace servants to show them the way to the throne room. Ella, Zack, and Tristan entered the throne room, where the king and queen were waiting. King Nathaniel asked,” Ella Farway, I heard your sons met my daughters at the town celebration last night. Is it false?” Ella said,” Sire, they are my brothers, not my sons but yes. My brothers, indeed, met the princesses at the town celebration last night.”
Suddenly, Princess Kate rushed into the throne room, holding the kitten from the night before, and said,” Mother! Father! We need the royal vet! The kitten from last night, it looks as though it will die soon if it does not receive proper medical attention!” Kate looked at her parents, looked around the throne room, then said,” Oh, I am so sorry to interrupt your meeting!” Queen Mia said,” It is quite all right, my child. Please go tell Chad to fetch the royal healer, and leave the kitten with him. Then come back here as soon as you are finished.” Kate did as her mother told her and returned about ten minutes later.
When she returned to the throne, her father said,” Kate, my darling, I would like you to meet Ella, Zack, and Tristan Farway from the town. Tristan has something he has to tell you.” Tristan just stood there, staring at Princess Kate, until Zack elbowed him in the side. Tristan finally said,” I am sorry about kicking the cat, at the town celebration last night.” Kate said,” I accept your apology but that will not heal the poor, sick kitten that is dying because you kept kicking it!” With that, Kate excused herself from the conversation and went to find Chad and the kitten.
King Nathaniel said,” I do apologize for my daughter. She gets like this when it comes to animals in pain or in trouble.” Ella said,” Please, no need to apologize. My brother is the one who kicked the poor thing.” Queen Mia asked,” Tristan, would you like to look around the castle?” Tristan said yes then left to go look around. Queen Mia said,” Ella, do you make enough money to pay the fee of animal abuse?” Ella answered,” No, your majesty, but I can find the money somewhere.”
Queen Mia said,”  Do not worry, since you are not the one who kicked the poor kitten, you are not the one who has to pay. Tristan will be the one to pay the fee.” Ella said,” Your majesty, how will he? Tristan has no job.” King Nathaniel said,” Tristan will pay by working in the castle. By working for the princesses.” Ella said,” Your majesty, Tristan does not have a job because he is not responsible at all.” Queen Mia said,” Then that is something he can learn. Ella, you and Zack are free to go home. Tristan can begin working today. Tristan will be the personal servant to the princesses. Do not worry, Tristan will work in the castle every day from 9 in the morning and he will be sent home no later than 7 every evening.”
When Tristan returned to the throne room, King Nathaniel explained to Tristan that he was to work for the princesses until he could pay the fee of animal abuse. Tristan asked,” Can I please go home and start working tomorrow, your majesty?” King Nathaniel responded by saying,” No, but you can explore the castle more to learn your way around.” After saying that, King Nathaniel left the throne room, followed by Tristan. Tristan went to the courtyard and saw Princess Kate drawing something.
Tristan came up to Princess Kate and asked,” What are you drawing?” Princess Kate, not looking up from her drawing, said,” Tristan, is it? It is none of your business what I am doing.” Tristan said,” Yes, my name is Tristan and I was just curious.” Princess Kate said,” Alright, Tristan. Do you know The Legend of the Enchanted Flower?” Tristan said,” Of course. Everyone in the town knows that legend.” Princess Kate said,” Well that is what I am drawing. The flower from legend.” Tristan saw the focus in the princess’s eyes and was impressed.
Princess Kate, realizing that Tristan was staring at her, said,” Is something on my face?” Tristan, after snapping out of his little trance, said,” No, it’s just, I have never seen anyone so focused. You did not look up even when answering me.” Princess Kate said,” So why are you still here, anyway? I saw your sister and brother leave a little while ago.” Tristan said,” Oh, I have to work here until I am able to pay the fee for animal abuse. I am the princess's personal servant. Also, I truly am sorry for kicking the cat, your highness.” Princess Kate, looking Tristan in the eyes, said,” Yes I know you are because you looked me in the eyes while apologizing and there was sincerity in your voice.” Tristan said,” So, why are you drawing the flower from that legend?”
Princess Sapphire came up to Kate and Tristan, and said,” Kate just likes to draw random things that interest her. So what are you doing here, Mr...?” Tristan, bowed as he said,” Tristan Farway, princess, and I am your personal servant.” Sapphire said,” Well, Mr. Farway, I believe my father said you could explore the castle so you learn your way around not chat with the princesses.” Tristan said,” I am exploring the castle. I just happen to find Princess Kate while exploring. Well…. I guess I will be on my way.  Until we meet again, Princess Kate.” As Tristan walked away, he almost tripped over a plant and made Princess Kate giggle. When Tristan heard Princess Kate giggle, he walked away with a smile on his face.
Sapphire said,” Remember what mother said? Only the royal family, the royal grounds keepers, and the royal treasurer knows the flower is real. Everyone in the town thinks it is no more than a legend, and that is what we want them to think.” Kate said,” I know. I was not going to tell him that the flower from legend is real.” As months passed, Tristan saved up and paid the fee of animal abuse. On his last day, Tristan realized he had a problem: he loved Princess Kate and didn’t want to leave her.
So Tristan asked King Nathaniel,” May I, please, join your family for dinner, your majesty?” King Nathaniel said,” Of course you can” Later that evening at dinner with the royal family, Tristan asked,” Your majesty, can you please grant me my request by allowing me to stay here and continue to serve the princesses?” King Nathaniel said,” You can keep your current position if you can tell me the reason why you wish to stay.” Tristan said,” I wish to stay because I love your daughter with all my heart.” Queen Mia asked,” Which daughter, Tristan?”
Tristan stared at Princess Kate and said,” Princess Kate, your majesty.” Princess Kate started blushing and looked at her mother and father with hope and love in her eyes. Queen Mia asked,” Tristan, do you know The Legend of the Enchanted Flower?” Tristan responded by saying,” Of course, your majesty. Everyone in the town knows about the legend.” The king said,” The flower from that legend is real. The legend is correct. The flower grows in the center of the royal maze gardens. If you truly love Princess Kate then you will pick the flower from the garden and hand it to Princess Kate.”
Tristan accepted the test but Princess Kate said,” Father! Please do not make Tristan do this! What if he turns into a monster or statue of gold! I do not wish that fate for him! Mother, please!” Tristan said,” Please, your highness, I would give my life for you! I will gladly do this if it means I can be with you.” Princess Kate excused herself from dinner until she was summoned to the royal maze gardens. Queen Mia said,” You know the legend, Tristan. Princess Kate must be the first one you see. Good Luck!”
After saying that, Queen Mia escorted Tristan to the flower. Tristan easily pulled the flower from the ground and went straight to Princess Kate. Princess Kate was on the other end of the maze, waiting with her father and sister. When Princess Kate saw Tristan, she was overwhelmed with joy. King Nathaniel said,” How did you find Princess Kate so quickly?” Tristan said,” I do not know, your majesty. It was like the flower was guiding me back to my heart, to Princess Kate.” King Nathaniel was very impressed but Princess Kate knew Tristan would find her. King Nathaniel was so impressed that he allowed Tristan to stay and work in the castle.
One year later, Tristan asked Princess Kate to marry him and, with her parent's blessing, she said yes. Princess Sapphire married a Prince from a neighboring kingdom, Zack married the daughter of the royal treasurer and Ella found love with the royal bookkeeper. All the happy couples lived happily ever after!