Monster | Teen Ink

Monster

By 00001 SILVER, New York, New York
00001 SILVER, New York, New York

Jane climbed into the locker and landed on a heap of books and garbage. Clara followed, pressing her head against her shoulder to make room for the door to shut. They both blinked, taking slow, quiet breaths until they heard a group of footsteps echo down the hall. The distorted moaning of the zombies grew louder, then abated as they turned away. Patches of rotting flesh adorned with twisted intestines lined the  hallways, exhibited by the flickering of light bulbs. Jane's eyes were glassy with tears, reflecting off the moonlight that seeped through the vents of the locker.
Jane sobbed, wiping her tears with her sleeve, which happened to be soaked with warm blood, “R-R-Robbie, we have to go back. We have to get him….”
Clara whispered hoarsely, “Jane, Robbie’s...going to be okay. We have to get out of here. Please, be logical!”
Jane’s despair faded into anger within seconds, “No,” her voice cracked as she grabbed the rusty door. “I’m going to save Robbie.” She panted and dabbed the sweat from her chin.
             Gunshots rang down the hall and the intercom howled with static. Both girls jolted, instinctively clinging onto one another for support. Screams resonated from far away and the sound of smashing glass registered. A bomb on the third floor went off and sent the school rumbling; swirls of flames leapt up at the pile of debris. Both girls peered at their crumbling surroundings from behind the locker. Jane shook violently, her fists balled against her temple, attempting to wake herself up from the nightmare before her. Centipedes crawled beneath her skin and the contents within her stomach bubbled like a muck of quicksand. Clara, on the other hand, stared calmly into the distance, chuckling to herself and saying, “We can run for it! Robbie’s gang can be bait.”
Jane’s eyes widened and she cried, “Our friends are dying!” She scrambled towards the door again, then faltered at the sound of more wretched cries.
                      Before Jane pushed the door again, Clara grabbed her wrist. Her dirty fingernails dug into  Jane’s flesh before she gruffly cried out, “Jane, I won’t let you die. Not everybody can live, you know. Stay with me.” Her olive tinted pupils were wide with storming emotions. “Everybody else can go die. It’s just me and you. I'm the only one who cares about you. I'd die for you! You're weak. Those monsters, I'm telling you, they're going to tear you apart the second you step out!” Her voice grew louder with each syllable. Jane wiped a sliding tear with her fingers and stared at her sister for minutes. She can’t feel anything, she doesn’t care. An image struck her like lightening, she remembered her loving sister laughing among her friends and family. The vision was torn away by her sister’s smug expression. Her heart pounded, each Badump reminding her of the ticking of bomb, and then it reached to a halt. She pressed her lips into a weak smile and pronounced with clarity, “You’re the real monster here, Clara.”