The Reverted Dimension | Teen Ink

The Reverted Dimension

By Racingandy GOLD, Taipei, Other
Racingandy GOLD, Taipei, Other

Ever since “that” incident, Jake started to hate his life at home. The incident that had caused her mother’s death is the source of all his problems.
The room seemed empty with nothing but loneliness. Jake wanted to have siblings to play with. Not his childish sister who does nothing but shout, scream, and cry. His dad, who rarely returned to the house, barely knew him. The days seemed to past in monotonous cycles until the day Jake found a Wanted poster of himself hanging on the window of his house.
  That day, he was exhausted from taking care of his sister. Having no more energy to be surprised by the poster, he rested his head on a mirror in his house. That’s when his world was twisted upside down.
Slowly opening his eyes and gaining consciousness, Jake looked around him. He was lying on a sofa in an old, wooden house. Next, he tried to stand up. However, as he tried to stand up, dizziness struck, and he fell back onto the sofa again. After several tries, he managed to stand up. He then notices that there is a door beside the room: the only exit. Instinctively, he walked toward the door and got through it. The room he just left seemed to warp and disappear after he walked through it. Standing still and shocked, a person approached him. Her sister, Julia, stared at him calmly and stopped in a distance. Jake immediately realized that something was wrong with her. Julia almost never calmed down like she is now. The usual Julia laughs and cries loudly in front of Jake, and has some personality problems. The weird Julia smirked, as Jake stood beside, speechless. Then, she turned around, looking at a person standing in the corner of the passage. The person slowly walks out of the shadows, and Jake collapsed onto the ground.
Jake kneeled on the ground, wide-eyed and shocked. His eyes suddenly became teary. He would have burst into tears if Julia wasn’t watching. His mother, who should have died three years ago, stood there, unharmed. She looked at him uneasily.
“Jake?” called her mother, “Is that you? Weren’t you captured by the guards? Did you escape jail again?”
“Jail? What did you mean? More importantly, how……how are you alive?” asked Jake, teary eyed.
“What?” His mother thought for a while.
“Did you touch a mirror a while ago?” asked her mother, “Julia, is the bedroom still there?”
The weird Julia and Jake looked at each other in confusion. Then, Julia walked in the way Jake came from. In a few seconds, Julia ran back, looking even more confused.
“No, it’s not there anymore” Julia announced, “What in the world happened?”
“As I thought” said his mother, “Things are going to get complicated. First, you are not from this world."
          "Uh......"Jake swallowed as he tried to digest the complicated fact.
          Then, the pieces came together in Jake's head. Looking around in horror, Jake sought for the words to use.
           "Then, how can I return......I mean.......to my world?" Jake asked.
           Jake's mother turned away from him. Then, facing the wall, she stated in an chanting voice:
           "You shall go to the place you arrived when you first entered this world. However, because of your arrival, that place have traded places with a place that has surroundings that contradicts this house. It depends on you if you can find your way back."
            "I will give you a clue." stated his mother in a serious manner." The best place to contradict this place is a palace directly north of this house. My compass will lead you there."
            Then, without a second glance, her mother left the passage with Julia behind, leaving a cubical compass on the ground and a Jake with tons of questions.
            As Jake later walks out of the house, the landscape seemed to change. Trees seems to grow where sunshine was blocked, while the sun is shaped like a crescent moon. However, Jake paid no attention to those things. Until this day, Jake have been thinking about how would he escape from his monotonous life. While towards where the compass is pointing, he wondered why is he anxious to leave now. Isn't this the greatest chance for him to escape his old life? Yet, the longer he walked the more he desired to go back home. At last, when the palace finally came into view, Jake was more determined than ever. Without thinking anything, he ran towards the palace.
             Jake stared at the palace after approaching it. The palace looked royal and expensive, except for an unique part that stretched out. The unique part seemed old and worn out. Guards and soldiers scattered around the palace, holding spears and swords. Suddenly having an idea, Jake threw the compass at a nearby by fountain, causing a distraction, and went into a random door in the palace. Realizing he was in the armory room, he chose a shield and sword, just in case. That's when the alarm went off.
             Jake heard footsteps. Footsteps of an army of soldiers. Desperately, he stepped out the armory room and ran to the next room, labeled supply room. He locked the room just in time so that the soldiers are locked outside. Jake knew that the door wouldn't hold on for long. In seconds, the door cracked in a clear slash of someone's sword. Jake threw a bag of flour over and it became a smokescreen. He charged toward the smoke, then slashed and hacked recklessly. Then he fell down a staircase, still in the smoke. The staircase creaked as he tried to get up. That's when he realized he was in the room his mother had talked about: the room where he arrived when he first got to this world. That's why the extended part of the palace looked weird. Jake smiled as he touched the bed, and the world twisted again.
               Jake's monotonous life continued after he returned to his world. This time, though, he was satisfied. No one would believe his story about another dimension. Jake didn't care. He have learned a great lesson about family in his journey.