Forgotten | Teen Ink

Forgotten

December 15, 2014
By Delaney15 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
Delaney15 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
2 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Wide eyes, hidden behind wide frames. Unshaved chin sharp and apparent with flames casting shadows on the warm red walls. Slaving away over the fire, hidden from the outside world. Enclosed in a small brick jail, sweat beaded up and rolled off his face as he looked into the flames. Reaching for the finished product, a small bell rang from the front of the store as the door had been opened. In a hurry Lance dropped the bread back into the oven to attend the front counter.
Frantically wiping his forehead he caught a glimpse of her. The girl from the billboards, the one everyone talked about but never dared talk to. She was short and petite with jet black hair, her eyes pierced through the now smoke filled room. He had only caught glimpses of her at the ceremonies and parades along side the rest of the royal family.  Lance took care of the customer, wanting so badly to just say hi. He resisted the urge in fear of embarrassing himself or getting rejected. 
Flames arose from the back kitchen and children screamed. Confused and still in a mist of lust lance looked back at what all the chaos was centered around. The bread that he had been tending to earlier was now a charred black mess. The people in the store all left after the sprinklers came on. But lucky for Lance the girl from the billboards stayed and helped. She ran up to Lance, “How can I help?” she asked. Lance starred with mouth wide open and body unable to respond. Nothing came out of his mouth.
Grabbing the fire extinguisher she ran straight into the smoke. Lance sat back watching then quickly realized that he had just let the princess run right into a burning room not knowing what she was doing. Wiping the sweat from her forehead with the back of her hand, the princess came out of the flames.  Her dress had become chard with a faint trail of glitter following.
“All done.” She declared as the smoke cleared the air and her face became more apparent. Make up smeared from sweat and smoke she looked more beautiful than ever to Lance. She exited the building and said nothing more. Lance was left with with a mess and no dream girl.