Darkness | Teen Ink

Darkness

As the rocket launched into the air, never to see my beloved family again, I wondered if I would safely return to see my son. I would never forget the day before I left earth. “Daddy, where are you going?” said the toddler, full with curiosity. “Daddy’s going to be outside for a while,” I said. “When are you coming home?” the baby said again. “I’m not sure Mark. Look! Its bedtime my son. Let’s go to your bedroom,” I replied. “Ok,” said Mark, his eyelids heavy with sleepiness. As he drifted away, I kissed his forehead and said, “Papa will be back. I promise,”
I pondered this as I flew in space with my counterpart. “Just a few more minutes until we reach our destination Jack,” Claire said. I could see the satellite in the distance. We approached it and gasped with astonishment. “My goodness,” said Claire. The reaction on my face was even more bewildered. The wreckage was beyond our repair. We required advanced mechanism to repair the satellite. “Sir, the damage is too severe. It’s nigh impossible to fix it. What should we do?” I reported to the ear piece. “Try as much as you can for now. I’ll send more people with the technology needed,” replied the captain down in earth. “Yes sir,” I and Claire responded. “So we just wait then?” “I suppose so,” I told Claire.
We waited and waited that seemed like days for the new crew to come, but it never did. Soon, I saw a ship drifting towards our way. “They’re here. I see their ship,” I said. “Let’s go check,” Claire replied. We slowly approached their ship and peered inside. It was dark and empty. On the wall was something that suspiciously looked like blood. “Hello?” I called out. No answer. I went deeper inside and held back a scream. Five people were hovering in the room dead. “Damn! What happened?” Claire shouted. From the far corner came a little cry. “Hey! It’s Luther!” Claire said. “Jack. There’s no time. Listen. You have to destroy this ship, or else the human race will surely end,” said the pilot weakly. Then his eyes rolled up into his head and his whole body started to shudder violently. His body soon began to morph into a breathing, living, vicious, mutt. The beast shrieked at us and I and Claire blasted off with our twin turbine jet-pack. “What was that?” I yelled. “Talk later. Just fly!” Claire replied.
Once we landed, we looked back towards the ship and saw the monsters coming out. We turned on the intercom and described the situation to the captain. “Sir. There are aliens in our solar system. This may sound ridiculous but we’re serious,” Claire insisted. “Hah! You guys sure are funny. Just hurry up repairing the ship and come to earth. Aliens are just myths. Tales. They’re not real,” the captain said. “Sir! We are not-” the boss hung up. Out of frustration, I slammed the intercom with my fists. There is no other person in the world that is as stubborn as the captain. “Now what do we do?” Claire asked. “We fight our way to earth,” I said.
We found double-barrel shotguns in the ship and approached the mutated beasts. One by one, we killed them but more of them flowed out from the infected ship and we were running short on ammunition. “Remember what Luther said? We have to destroy the ship!” I shout. “We need bombs then!” Claire yelled back. I went back inside our aircraft and found no explosives. “Claire, we’ll have to shoot the engine then, but it’s within the ship. You stay back, I’ll go in,” I said. “Are you crazy? Don’t be an idiot,” Claire yelled. By the time she finished talking, I flew towards the ship again.
I snuck into the ship and hid within in the shadows. Some creatures came my way, screeched and made weird noises to each other, then left the area. “That must be their communication,” I whisper to myself. I proceeded to the engine room. I was walking along the hallway when I heard a sound behind me. I immediately turned around and saw Claire. “What is your problem?” I said “Didn’t I tell you to stay put?” “If you die, I die with you,” she responded. “Fine. Just don’t get discovered,” I said. As we approached the engine room, we saw something or someone move inside the room. “Be cautious,” I said. “You don’t say,” Claire replied. As we kicked open the door and aimed our guns at it, it said, “Guys! Don’t shoot! It’s me. Richard,” “Richard! Are you ok?” I asked. “Yeah. I’m fine,” he replied. Richard was an engineer for the ship. “Let’s get out of here before the monsters find us,” says Richard urgently. If Richard was an engineer, could he make and prime a makeshift bomb? A plan started to form inside my head. “Richard, can you make a timed small bomb?” I asked with hope. “Yes. Quite simple actually. Oh. You’re not serious are you?” “Gather around guys. Here’s the plan,” I said.
“Is the bomb set?” I whisper to Richard. “One moment… Ok, it’s primed,” he replied. “Ok, when I say go, you run you understand? Don’t stop,” Once everything was ready, I counted. “3…2…1… Go!” I yell. As Richard started the countdown, the three of us started to run for our lives. The plan went wrong almost immediately. Two monsters were blocking our way. One creature screeched at us and ran towards me with blinding speed. I rose my weapon just in time to deflect the strike, and Claire shot the beast. The other fled in fear. I aimed it at the beast’s head with precision and pulled the trigger. The monster fell dead on the floor. The three of us continued to run. I heard a blast behind me and a small burst of heat. Run. Run! I think to myself. I could see the end of the exit. As soon as I leapt out of the ship with my two companions, I saw a star brighter than any other that reminded me of my son and wife, then the aircraft exploded.
“Sir, the internal organs are severely damaged and it has been three days since the accident. We need a replacement for the kidney sir,” said one of the surgeons. “Hmmm… Transplant the bio-tech one. That should be sufficient,” replied the headmaster. “Yes sir,” replied the surgeon. “Also, tell the wife that her husband will be coming tomorrow,” the master also said. One day later, the toddler waited eagerly with his mother outside the elevator for their long lost father to return. “Mommy, is daddy actually going to come?” asked 5-year old Mark. “Daddy should be here soon,” the mother replied. Ding! Claire and Richard came out, but not Jack. “Ma’am,” Claire said. Then her gaze dropped down. “No. It can’t be,” Marcia said. Right then, came out Jack. Marcia and Mark ran up to embrace him, but Jack didn’t say anything. “Jack. You’re finally back,” Marcia said crying. Jack nodded. “Why aren’t you speaking?” Mark asked. “Ma’am, Jack’s vocal cords were extremely damaged.” Claire said. “Jack cannot speak anymore, but we must move on,” Marcia stood there looking at me with sadness flowing from her eyes. Then she started to weep, being consumed with grief. After Marcia calmed down she said, “Why do we have to move?” Claire replied, “Because sooner or later, our world will be overrun by aliens.”

Please tell me things I can improve on! Thank you!