A Strange Encounter | Teen Ink

A Strange Encounter

By SpazzinOverU SILVER, Dehradun, Other
SpazzinOverU SILVER, Dehradun, Other

Keep clam and Carry On....

There is thin and blurry line between reality and fiction. But sometimes, we forget that line, and lose ourselves into such fantasies…sometimes it can be dangerous. I, myself, enjoy fantasy novels more than anything. They are like an addiction to my boredom. And even if I would write something, I would prefer supernatural stories, or science fiction. Nothing in the lines of ‘self reflecting’ or ‘classic’. To me, the action and excitement was always in fantasy genre. Nothing made me more satisfied than that.

As you can see, I am not going to actually give you some serious, moralistic short telling here. This story is also going to be sort of Supernatural. You might think this writer has gone bonkers, writing such things, but what can I do? The incident a few nights back makes me want to pen it down and express it to the world. Oh! Who knows, maybe I die right after this…

Ahem! Well, not straying from the real talk, let me begin.

One fine December evening, I was returning home after buying my stock of winter bestsellers for my winter holidays. I was literally reeking of new books, and the grin spread across my face, clearly said it all. So, as I walked home, which was nearby, I noticed the great traffic jam in front of me and I had no option but to take the alternate way, that led through the narrow lane, followed by a short alley and into my house’s backyard.

I contacted my mother that if ‘anything were to happen to me, I was taking this route’, at which, of course, she laughed. We were living in one of the world’s most safest places, called Vizag. A small yet developed city at the coast of Andhra Pradesh, surrounded by seas, valleys and mountains. It was always summers here, something that I didn’t like, and people were the most friendliest.

So, I took the narrow lane, clutching onto my ‘treasure’ like there was no tomorrow and quickly walked towards the telecommunications building’s alleyway. I took a brisk left, but stopped at my tracks when I noticed something strange at the corner of my eye. I could see a shadow, within the showdows of the dull grey building.

I may be a four eyed human, but I was sharp at noticing such things. I pushed my specks up and then began walking again. As I slowly walked, I noticed the shadow following me, quietly, not making one sound. I could feel my heart pound wildly, and all sorts of crazy thoughts crossing my mind. But I had to take the courage to continue on my path.

Finally, after walking a good distance, I stopped and slowly turned around, only to see two big golden eyes boring into mine. I froze. It was huge. Way to huge for an animal…way to huge for any kind of animal!

The creature in front of me, on its fours, was against the wall. It bore it’s huge shape teeth through it’s jaws and his golden eyes were literally burning. His body was hairy like a dog’s. Only this, for a dog, was way too big.

My voice kind of vanished, and I couldn’t even scream or yelp for help. All I did, was take a steap back when the creature lunged at me, bearing it’s teeth and claws in my direction. I dropped my books and held my hands up to my face, knowing that my end had come.

I, an average teenager, just turned 16, was going to die by the hands of a strange huge being, which I would have called a ‘werewolf’ in my book world. Only this was real life, So I didn’t know what to do.

Before I could scream, yell or fall back, I felt two strange arms around me, and suddenly I felt like I was flying. I lifted my hands off my face and noticed, I was flying. My feet landed to the ground for like a second, before I felt myself take another leap and jump onto consecutive building.

I realized that there was someone holding me and jumping at inhumane lengths. I looked up to see a lady, wearing a dull brown coat, holding onto me and concentrating on her jumps. She had a square jaw, like a man’s, her eyes were silver-blue in color and skin was wheat, “W-What…” I stuttered like a fool and then the lady stopped jumping once she felt that we were safe from the werewolf/crazy huge rabid dog. She looked at me and smiled, “Are you okay?”

She had an Indian accent, so she was from around here. I nodded like an innocent child and then she patted my head, “You did well. You were brave to not scream and turn around to face it. Usually people, even if they notice them, are attacked on their backs. You’re lucky.”

She sighed and I blinked, before asking, “What was that…? And W-Who are you…?”

“Oh! Yes! My name is Alya, I’m a werewolf hunter…well actually a hunter. I hunt all sorts of supernatural beings. And that right there was a werewolf, a rabid one actually,” she shrugged and I sort of lost my ability to absorb the news. I literally thought that freaking out would not be the best idea.

“Where do you live?” the lady called Alya asked me and I looked around before point in East, “My house is there, near the airport…”

“Ok, not too fa--” before she could reply, a large paw smacked her aside throwing her yards away from me. Alya crashed into the railing and then dropped on the floor with a loud thud. I looked at her unmoved body in horror when I heard a low growl to my side. I slowly turned my head, gulping down the saliva that had collected in my mouth and saw two large golden eyes staring at me, and a mouth dripping with infected saliva ready to clamp onto my head and pull it off.

Before I could utter a single cry for help, the beast roared loudly and launched its body at me. I ducked and held my hands to my ears, closing my eyes shut in fear. This was really the end for me.

But nothing came.

No pain, no crunching sound…nothing. I couldn’t even feel its rabid saliva around me. I opened my eyes when I heard a loud yelp. I looked up to see Alya’s dark hair looming over my body. I looked further up to see her hand in the dog’s mouth and a large silvery blade running out of the dog’s head, covered in blood. She had stabbed it from inside its mouth. I watched amazed and unfazed, as the golden eyes soon shrunk to normal human sized eyes and rolled to the back of the beast’s head. Alya pulled her hand out along with the blade and the monster fell back, burning as it did with a silver fire, “They always die from Silver,” I heard Alya comment as she cleaned the blood off the blade with her coat.

“T-Thanks…” I said and she pulled me up, “You okay?”

“Hmm,” I nodded as I watched the werewolf burn into nothing. It just burnt with a silver gleaming fire to leave no remains or trace of its existence.

“I…I mean…I’m thankful…but this…is…” I muttered with proable stammering when she patted my shoulder, “Unbelievable. I know. But I am sorry for this mess. You weren’t supposed to turn into that alley as I predicted…I thought you’d leave straight. But you took a shortcut home. I was chasing that thing for a few days now. It was a handful.”

“Are there more of you people?” I asked as we neared my house, “Hunters? Yes…many. Werewolves are an endangered unwanted species, that we kill,” she spoke.

I nodded with fascination. This was quite unbelievable, but well, I do remember being almost killed by a monster. And this girl saved me, so…

“So then if there are Werewolves and Hunters…there have to be more fantasy creatures…right?”

“Fantasy?” she laughed at me childish inability to express or hide my excitement,  “Yes, yes…there are us, them and Vampire…shifters…wicthes..warlocks…just all of us are blended into the society. But you cant tell anyone okay?”

“I vow on my life I won’t,” I spoke seriously and she ruffled my hair as we reached my door step, “Here we are.”

“Thanks so much for today. You have no idea what I feel right now,” I thanked her once again and then she took off something from her wirst. It was a small charm bracelet with many charms on it, “This is something that I add a charm to when something good happens to meet. So I think you should keep it. It’s for you being brave,” she tied it around my wrist and I gladly accepted it, “Thanks a lot.”

“Don’t mention it,” she began walking off when I raised my voice and asked, “How can I contact you if I wish to?”
The beautiful brunnete hunter turned around and smiled, “We’ll meet if fate wants us too.” I smiled and looked down at the charm, smiling at the very little amounts of charms on it. When I looked up, the wind blew but Alya was gone.

She left just like she came.

Unnoticed.

Uhh....me and my imagination going crazy. Literally.