Why Her Not Me Part 2 | Teen Ink

Why Her Not Me Part 2

By CreativeFreakkk DIAMOND, Spencer, Iowa
CreativeFreakkk DIAMOND, Spencer, Iowa

Stand up for what you believe in even if it means standing alone. -Andy Biersack
Sometimes you gotta fall before you can fly. -Kellin Quinn
You made me hate my own reflection. -Sleeping With Sirens

On my way home from school Damian called, he asked for me to meet him at the city park and that he needed to tell me something. I told him I would be there around five, because I needed to talk to my parents first.

As I pulled into my driveway and was getting out of my car my parents pulled up, my guess is that they called off work and went to the hospital with Lindsey’s mom all day to support her, Lindsey’s dad left her mom right before Lindsey was born.

“I’m ready to talk,” I tell them before they are even halfway out of the car.

“About?” asks my dad. He does this when he knows what, he just doesn’t want to talk about it.

“My adoption. I need to know.”

“Okay, your birth mom was a good friend of mine in high school, her name was Samantha Johnson,” my mom told me as we walked into the hose and sat down. “She passed in 2012 in a car wreck, you were in the backseat, somehow unharmed even though the side of the car that you were in was completely smashed in, we adopted you as soon as your mom was pronounced dead. We didn’t want to see a six month old baby go into foster care.”

“Was the car wreck started by her or someone else?”

“A drunk driver rammed into your mom’s car head on, and then another car ran into the side of the car that you were in. So no the wreck wasn’t her fault,” she tells me.

“I have to meet a friend at the park in five minutes,” I say to her standing up.

“Okay, I’m sorry we didn’t tell you before, we just didn’t think you were ready.”

As I was walking out to my car, I can’t help but look over at where Lindsey had fallen and died. Someone must of cleaned up the blood, because there was only a tiny stain left where the blood ran down the driveway.

I miss he so bad.

Before I start the car I text Damian telling him I’m on my way.

When I get there I find Damian at a picnic table near the pond.

“Hey,” he says to me without even looking up.

“Hi, what did you want to talk to me about?”

“You should sit down because this is going to freak you out.”

“Umm, okay,” once I sit down he starts to talk.

“This is going to sound weird but I’m a reaper, a minor reaper, not like the Grim Reaper,” he began. “The thing is, you were supposed to die this morning, your time was seven-thirty AM, on March 13th, you were supposed to die the way Lindsey did.”

“Then why did she die not me?”

“I took her soul instead of yours, because I didn’t want to see you die.”

“So my best friend died for me, without knowing it? I get to live on a life my friend should have not me?”

“I’m so sorry, I just didn’t want to lose you, again,” he says pretty much pleading.

“Again?”

“I guess you don’t remember fifth grade, I was the shy kid in the back of the class who had a crush on you. When my parents found out about you they made me move, claiming that I could hurt you. Now I know what they meant. They thought that my powers were coming in, and if you were born a reaper your powers can kill everyone you love if your near them while they are developing. I moved back here, because now they are fully formed and I can control them.”

“Where are your parents now?” I ask him, fearing the answer I know I will get.

“I killed them, so now I have no one,” I hear him say so quiet that even if I was just breathing I wouldn’t of heard him.

“How?”

“When my powers were finishing forming last year I killed them in my sleep.”

“I’m so sorry that happened.”

“It’s not your fault, so don’t apologize,” he said while smiling. “Do you forgive me? I did it because I didn’t want to see another person I love dying.”

“Yes, I’m just going to miss her so much.”

“I know, and I’ll make it up to you someday. I don’t know how, but I will.”

When I look up at him he’s smiling at me.

“Why are you smiling at me like that?”

“Because this is the fist time I haven’t felt lonely in a year.”

Chapter two of the book I'm writing.