The Cave of the Violet Scaled Arodon | Teen Ink

The Cave of the Violet Scaled Arodon

By MagicQuill BRONZE, Denton, Texas
MagicQuill BRONZE, Denton, Texas

~ Between the pages of a book is a wonderful place to be ~

The wind howled through the trees, making the stormy night even more ominous. There were no stars that night, nor a moon, thus making hope a hard thing to cling to in the dark. And yet, with the flashes of light tearing down the trees and the rain battering against ground like a giant drum, there was a lone man: an adventurer, who was returning home to his family.

Try though he might, the man could not fight the storm. He feebly shoved against the wind, attempting to resist its push backward into nothingness. The rain pounded his skull, making concentrating difficult, and his legs felt as if they were lead. The adventurer had no choice: he must stop for the night.

The adventurer pressed his back against a tree – breathing hard – and scanned the area looking for a shelter as best as he could through the rain and dark. And he found one: a small cave, sitting alone on the side of a large hill with a clearing. It was as if fate gave him a second chance.

The man used all of his strength to get to the cave, running – or trying to run, more like – from tree to tree, the wind hidden by the thick trunk, and the leaves rattling and pushing water onto the adventure’s already drenched head. When he finally reached the cave, the man was out of breath, and immediately ducked into the small cave.

When inside, the man realized the cave was bigger than it seemed. It was at least eight feet inwards, and ten from wall to wall, and twelve feet from floor to ceiling; contrary to the entrance, which was at most eight feet wide, and seven feet tall. The stone walls were strangely smooth, instead of rough and rocky, like most caves the adventure took shelter in. In the dark, the man couldn’t make much of the cave, other than a few sweet smelling plants and rocks to spare. The man had seen his share of rocks, but the plant he had never heard of or seen before. Scanning the cave with tired eyes, the man assumed the cave was abandoned, and immediately took off his sack and fell asleep, the sound of the rain whispering a lullaby of fate.

But he didn’t know that something was watching him.

The man awoke to a sudden warm breath in his face, just before dawn. And a sudden growl. He was not alone. Quickly pulling a knife out of his boot, the adventurer came face to face with a violet, scaled face with a bright red eye, with three long scars across the lid.

He didn’t move. He hardly breathed.

The violet scaled face look suspiciously like a young Dragon – which the adventurer had indeed encountered – and knew the exact way to handle them. Slowly, putting the knife back into his boot, the man stood up and bowed low to the creature.

“I apologize most greatly, Mater of the Cave,” the man said. “I did not realize this cave was inhabited. I only was here to escape the rain last night. Please forgive my intrusion, Master Wyrm. I will take my –"

WYRM? a voice boomed in the adventurer’s mind. I am no Wyrm, little human. I am an Arodon. A distant cousin to the Wyrms of the Mountains: the same in some ways, but much different in others.

“In what way is your kind different, O Great Arodon?”

The man thought flattery would get him away from this violet scaled creature faster, but Arodon do not bask in the glory of flattery, unlike their Dragon cousins.

In what ways? the Arodon scoffed. Has your tiny, human brain not yet comprehended what I look like? What pathetic creatures.

The man looked the Arodon up and down, and realized that it did look quite unlike the Dragon he thought it was. The Arodon’s head was slightly less broad than the average Dragon, and it had a smaller pair of horns under its main horns, which were adorned with treasure, which prove the violet scaled creature was not a Dragon, for Dragon horns were too thick for even the largest priceless object in their hoards.

The Arodon also was obviously full grown, but it was only about seven and a half feet tall. Dragons never stopped growing. It did have wings, however, but the Arodon’s wings looked far too long for the width of them, and curved to a tapered point: wings made for low gliding. The Dragon, on the contrary, had wings that were made for flapping in the air, and were formed more like an arm. The Arodon’s forepaws were also quite different: instead of having four toes and a dewclaw like a Dragon, the paw of the Arodon had five toes, much like a human. One was shaped almost like a thumb….

And lastly, the amount of patterns and decorations adorning the Arodon. The violet scales were darkly speckled and striped, and the forelegs were a darker color as well. A Dragon would never have those markings! The Arodon was also adorned with scars, which proved that its scales were not as strong as they looked, while a Dragon scales are harder than diamonds. And the Arodon’s forelegs had treasure around them like bracelets, and the hind legs as well. Even the tail was adorned with bands of silver and gold. A Dragon preferred to lounge in its treasure, and it would naturally be too bulky for any silver or gold band or ring or some other sort of treasure. The Arodon was definitely not a Dragon.

“My apologies, Master Arodon,” the adventurer said, and bowed - not wanting to end up as the thing’s breakfast. “I have never seen one of your kin in my life, and I shall remove myself from your presence.”

The man started towards the cave entrance, but a large, dark violet, hand-like paw shoved him backwards, knocking his breath out, and making his eyes slide out of focus. The Arodon kept his paw on the man, pinning him to the floor.

You are not going anywhere, little human. Not yet. The Arodon spoke to the man again, and the man could feel the amusement the creature was getting from playing him. A rather unusual sensation of the mind, and it made him squirm. This time the Arodon did laugh: a sort of growling and humming sound.

I will let you go on one condition. The Arodon said. You must do whatever three tasks I assign you. And until you do them, you will not get out. Oh, and since you have not seen – or heard of apparently – of my…? kin’ as you call it: we get hungry a lot faster than Wyrms. So I might have a little human snack if you don’t do what I please. Let your tiny, human brain comprehend that while I think of your assignments.

The Arodon removed his paw from the adventurer, and walked to the back of the cave, his tail held high, as not to drag his precious treasure on the floor of the cave. The man thought he might escape while the Arodon’s back was turned, but as soon as he started to move to the exit, the Arodon growled menacingly, and the adventurer knew that if he tried to escape, he’d die.

What is a man to do when forced into slavery by The Violet Scaled Arodon?

Nearly five hours after the previous incident, the Arodon arose from the back of the cave. The adventurer – who had been idly studying a fragrant plant growing in the cave – immediately looked up at the Arodon. He stood and bowed low.

“What are my tasks, Master Arodon?” the man asked.

The Arodon was obviously pleased being at called “Master,” but did not drop all concern like a Dragon. This man was obviously dangerous, and had probably already figured out that his scales were not as strong as they looked. The Arodon would not let his guard down.

This is your first assignment. He answered with a growl, to say he was not afraid to kill the man if need be. You must collect the branches outside the cave until the edge of the forest, and then bring them inside the cave. When you have done that, you will make me a new nest. When you have finished this I will give you your next task.

As the Arodon watched the man bow, and say, “Right away, Master Arodon” he felt a pleasant feeling from within him. The puny human would never get this task done! And this was only the first task! The Arodon laughed, thinking about the pleasant dessert he would have after supper that night.

Standing outside, the adventurer gaped at his job.

The storm the previous night had done a horrific job of tearing up the landscape. Branches littered the ground for miles. The man was extremely glad he didn’t have to go any further than the edge of the forest. To his mind, there were enough broken branches around to make three nests for his “master.” If this was only the first task, the adventurer dreaded the coming of the other two.

The man sighed and picked up the first two branches in front of him. Then he held three, then six, then twelve. Stumbling to the edge of the cave, the adventurer placed his first bundle on the cold stone. Breathing heavily, the man walked back to the clearing and picked up another bundle - this time with fourteen branches – and placed them on the other twelve.

Six-and-twenty out of one hundred… the man thought bitterly.

Stretching his back, the man sighed and looked out at the clearing. He really didn’t want to do this. He could’ve been home with his family by this time. Maybe he could just run away…?

The man looked back into the cave, and saw the Arodon alert and watching him. The red eyes of the Arodon narrowed and it growled. Escape was not an option.

Sighing once more, the adventurer stooped to pick up another few branches. Work was his only option besides death. And for him, death was not an option. The thought of his family waiting for him made the man work as hard as he possibly could.

The bundle grew and grew, and by the late afternoon, the clearing was actually clear. The man was quite proud of himself, and now all he had to do was make a nest! It was a rater hot day, and the man was sweating heavily, and his arms felt as if they were lead. But he must carry on. He must, for his wife and son. He must do this and the other two tasks.

Staggering each bundle deeper into the cave, he asked the Arodon, “Where would you like your nest built, Master?”

The Arodon stood up lazily, and pointed with his tail. Then it proceeded to lie down once more across the cave. Nodding, the man started shaping a nest in a dip in the floor. Crossing one branch over another, working his way outwards, and the task reminded the man somewhat of the weaving his wife would practice to make quilts and clothes. The thought put him at ease. To his surprise, the nest was done.

“Master Arodon, I have completed my first task,” the man called across the cave. “What would you have me do now?”

The Arodon jerked his head up, his red eyes clouded with confusion. Well, then. The Arodon said. Your tiny, human brain is not as simple as I thought…For your next task, you will fetch me a single deer, so that I may feast upon my new nest. When you have done this, I will reveal your third and final task.

The man almost smiled. He had hunted many deer for his family, in summer and winter. This was the simplest task the Arodon could’ve given him! Then…the man heard a growl. Not coming from the Arodon, but from his own stomach. The man was starving! He hadn’t eaten since the before previous night’s storm! Then it dawned on him. The Arodon was playing with him. It wanted to make him weak, so that it might eat him because he could not finish the tasks it wanted. It didn’t even want to eat! Realizing this made the man more determined – not weakened. He wanted to show the Arodon what a human could accomplish. Maybe it would thing twice about having a slave the next time an adventurer wandered into its cave!

“Yes, Master,” the man said, and bowed. The Arodon nodded and walked over to his newly built nest. As the man walked out, he heard his beautiful nest crack and break, all of the woven branches snapping under the Arodon’s weight.

Something told the man that the Arodon didn’t really need a new nest either…

The man took a shorter time finding the deer than the Arodon first thought. Late in the evening, he watched as the man returned to the cave, staggering under the weight of a doe, a small one at that. His plan was going accordingly. Weaken them, and then they are eaten. So many times had the Arodon played this game with the other humans. They really were simple minded creatures. They only thought of freedom, and they never got it.

I did not expect you do return this soon. The Arodon said, and he was genuinely surprised. Normally when he gave a hunting assignment, the men are not back until nearly midnight. I will now give you your third and final task. I wish for you to fetch me water and something to make a fire with.

The man look surprised at this. The Arodon laughed in his growly way. Were you expecting another hard task of labor? No, even I am not that cruel. Those fragrant smelling plants you saw the first time you came into my cave are sleeping aids to an Arodon, but only where they are heated. I haven’t had a deep sleep in months. Now go! Fetch the water and fire making tools!

The Arodon savored the bewildered look on the man’s face as he stammered, “Master” and walked quickly out. This man would make a wonderful feast along with that deer.

The man returned incredibly confused to the cave after he had fetched the water. Every good adventurer keeps a flint and tinder somewhere in their pouches to make a fire. The man was grateful he had brought it along.

Picking one of the flowers from the floor of the cave as he walked in, the man set to work boiling the plant. It did indeed smell very soothing, especially when heated. In seconds, the Arodon was deep asleep. The man almost laughed.

Dimming the fire and taking the leaves out of the water, the man tried to settle down to sleep himself. Dreams would not come, no matter how hard he tried. Curious, the man sipped a bit of the hot water that had once held the leaves. The flavor was incredibly bittersweet, leaving a minty taste on the back of his tongue, and a strong bitter taste on the front. And yet, the man began to feel sleep take him. Maybe because of the hard labor, maybe because of the drink. Either way, the man fell into a gray, dreamless, peaceful sleep, with hope in his heart that he would soon be returning to his wife and son.

The man awoke at dawn to find that the plant water was still strong, but not warm any longer. Deciding it would be a good idea to start off for home with a drink to soothe him, the man began to pick some more of the plant to boil. He relit the fire, and started packing his bag to leave.

When he was all ready to go, and was about to put some of the plant drink in his canteen, a red eye met his face. A growl sounded…and it wasn’t the man’s stomach.

Where do you think you’re going? The Arodon’s voice inside the man’s head was angry, and made him cower.

“I – I finished all three tasks,” he stammered. “So I was packing my things to leave-”

LEAVE? The Arodon laughed. You are never leaving. I was going to eat you, but I thought it better to have a human servant around instead.

Desperate, the man threw himself on the floor, and snatched the pot of the plant water. Confused, the Arodon looked around to see where he went…and fell asleep with the scent of bittersweet plant in his nose.

The man had thrust the plant water into the Arodon’s face, and it had fallen asleep immediately. Sighing in relief, the man decided to leave the plant water there, but decided to take some more of the plants themselves. Quietly taking off his pack, so as not to wake the Arodon, the man took some of the plant leaves and put them in his pack, quickly put his pack on again, and ran out of the cave as fast as his legs could carry him.

When he returned home, he created his own tea, from the Cave of the Violet Scaled Arodon.

A simple short story I wrote. Enjoy!