The Last Thing I Remember | Teen Ink

The Last Thing I Remember

By Winterlyn BRONZE, Davie, Florida
Winterlyn BRONZE, Davie, Florida

"Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice."

The Last Thing I Remember
Its pitch black in here, I can’t see anything. It seems like my eyes are just closed; I reach up to feel my face, but I don’t have any arms, or legs, or a torso, let alone a head. I think this place only allows me to think. I don’t really know where I am. This can be a heaven or a hell, with just me left alone with my own thoughts. Before I ended up here, it was the year 2050 & the radiation in all the foods has finally caught up to humanity. I’m 32 years old & I’ve been with my camp for about 6 ½ years. That’s because the outbreak got so bad. There were only about 1 out of 1,000 people infected with this virus the doctors called ‘GWYC’. Well it just so happens that my husband was that special one. When we noticed the symptoms, Sever fever, Dehydration, & Peeling of the skin, I brought him to the medical center as fast as I could. While we were waiting in the waiting room, I overheard these two nurses talking about a patient that had the GWYC virus in room 809, according to them this case was far worse, than recorded information of this virus. They were whispering in a very worried tone about how he had tried to eat his wives fingers on the way over. The blonde nurse looked at her co worker & mouthed “You don’t think...” Then suddenly the patient with sever GWYC virus busted out of the doors & ran to the blonde nurse & bit the side of her neck! Blood squirted all over the other nurse. The blonde nurses’ face quickly lost expression. That’s the first time I’ve ever seen the life of someone escape them so quickly. Patients in the waiting room screaming in horror running out the doors, mothers holding their children’s hand running for dear life, the children crying in shock & horror. I quickly jumped out of my seat & grabbed my husband’s hand. He froze. He could not move a muscle. At the instant, a man that looked pretty beaten up, walked in & pulled out his pistol, & fired at the crazed GWYC virus patient. As soon as my husband heard that, he sprung out of his chair & jumped on top of me, knocking me to the floor & starting trying to gnaw at my neck. The mysterious man fired another shot, not at the crazed patient, but at my husband, who now I understand, was crazed. Not by choice, but by that awful virus. My husband slouched over on to the floor. I knew he was dead. I quickly felt tears pouring out of my eyes. I began to sob. At first I was furious at the man who shot my beloved husband, but I soon realized that at the instance he wasn’t my husband anymore.

After that, I kind of stayed with the man for survival. He informed me that the virus was worse than ever could have imagined. We gathered some people over the years, we also lost some people, but what mattered was survival. Every man for himself. The man’s name was Mike. He was in the army for 15 years, a sergeant. He was wounded in action, he stepped on a bomb mine & lost his left arm. That’s why he was allowed to come home. Our camp always end the day with us around a camp fire heated cans of beans, thanking god we survived another day & Mike telling us stories that has been pasted down about his great-great-grandpa being in the Vietnam War.
Anyways, the last thing I remember is going on a run with Mike to get supplies, when GWYC was near. We heard the cough. It was a very distinctive cough. Not a hack, but a cough then a slight growl, followed by heavy breathing. Mike pulled out his AK47 & shot him right in the chest (the kill zone he called it). Without hesitation, we were surrounded by these mutated looking creatures, all coughing & breathing heavily. We were blocked in, no way out. Mike started shooting rapidly, I grabbed my 12 gauge because that’s all I had in the bag & tried shooting. I was shaking so much I couldn’t keep the ting still. They were getting closer. I pulled the trigger, “click” “Ug safety!” I shouted. I quickly adjusted my shotgun to take off the safety, boy were my hand shaking. I then got back into position. They were a lot closer. I pulled the trigger “BOOM!” The kick back was so strong I flew into Mike & knocked him down with me. They were all on top of me that’s when I knew it was all over. The constant hiding, the starvation, the nerves at night that the camp will be attacked; over. I was almost grateful that this was happening to me. I had so much adrenaline running threw my veins; I couldn’t feel the infected GWYC were gnawing on my whole body. As I was going to close my eyes & let fate take its place, then I see Mike running away in the distance. He left me to die. That’s when I panicked. I let out a blood curdling scream, but he ignored it & disappeared in the darkness. I tried to move I couldn’t, they were too heavy. As soon as I started to feel pain, I was ended up here, this big black hole of nothing.

I can’t tell you how long I’ve been here, or how long I’ll be in here. Hell, I can’t even tell you what this place is, but all I know is that I’m a lot happier in here with my thoughts, then out there battling with those creatures & the people that are supposed to be there to help you. Don’t rely on anybody, or you’ll end up here; maybe you can keep me company.

I want to entertain people. I like writing dark, "gothic" stories. I thougth this one should be read by someone.

KeriLee SILVER said...
KeriLee SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
This is so good. There is such detail and talent in your writing. The ending was great. How you make it intertwined with the reader by saying you can keep me company. It was really good!

braybaby14 said...
on Dec. 4 2015 at 9:29 am
braybaby14, Burton, Michigan
it was pretty good besides the grammar errors but it still had a nice tone to the story, keep up the great work.

on Nov. 11 2015 at 11:49 am
Brielle Delaney, Lancaster, Texas
Well I must say that this is my first time reading something on here and it's pretty good! The ending is what made me say "dang" (I don't know if we can curse on here) but yeah. I liked how you tied it all together. Now I am a grammar freak lol, it's like I can't help it. I did see a few grammar errors which is fine we all have them. Anyways, Great job. (:

The_Typist_ SILVER, Rochester, Minnesota
It's weird and not my type of story...but it's oddly appealing Good job

Hayley567 BRONZE, Columbus, Georgia

to never see things in the eyes of a writer, will never be fully seen.

No problem! I'm on Wattpad (insanelife1) 

on Mar. 11 2014 at 9:42 am
Winterlyn BRONZE, Davie, Florida

Thank you so much!

on Mar. 7 2014 at 8:53 am
Hayley567 BRONZE, Columbus, Georgia

I love this story alot, I think you should consider lengthening it, and maybe adding it to wattpad. This is such a good story i'd like to read more of it.

G. said...
(sorry i just left 2 comments)

G. said...
Thsi was somthing kind of refreshing to the whole zombie genre. Very different from what I'e rad recently. It's obvius that your a great wrier, but you might want to work on your spelling and punctuation a little. Otherwise, great job!!!

G. said...
This is the first 'Zombie' story I've read in a while because the whole genre of zombies, vampires, etc. kind of got boring after a while. This completely changed that!!! It was for once something new and refreshing! Great job!