Look Up In The Sky | Teen Ink

Look Up In The Sky

By CarlyRae GOLD, Cambridge, Maryland
CarlyRae GOLD, Cambridge, Maryland

We all carry these things inside us that no one else can see; they hold us down like anchors, they drown us out at sea.

It was a dark and eerily quiet night. Usually it isn’t this quiet in the town of Apple Valley San Bernardino. There’s almost always a party on every night. Mr. Williams looks out his window. He thinks to himself; where is everyone? Just then, he sees something bright flash in the sky. He goes to his closet and gets out his telescope, but as soon as he sets it up and points it to where he saw the bright flash… its gone.

It’s been three weeks since Mr. Williams saw that bright flash in the sky, and he has been scared to tell anybody about it. It really did look like a flying saucer, he thinks to himself. That can’t be true. They’re not supposed to exist. So Mr. Williams decides to wait outside until he sees the supposed flying saucer again.

November 15th, 9:07 p.m. Mr. Williams is startled awaked by something very bright catching his eyes. He immediately gets out his camera, and starts furiously snapping away pictures. Then the light is gone. When he goes back inside, he starts to look over the pictures. One of them makes him stop what he’s doing and stare open mouth at the camera for a whole minute. It’s a picture of a flying saucer. A real flying saucer. Now Mr. Williams knows that there is hope in still looking for this.

3 days later, and Mr. Williams happens to see the bright flash again. This time, he tries something new. He has a strange feeling to not bring out any electronics that would give their identity away. 5 minutes later, and the flying saucer lands right in his backyard. He gets so afraid that he jumps behind a tree to hide himself. The door to the flying saucer opens and out comes…

No one, not a soul. Hmm, that’s strange, thinks Mr. Williams. Then, suddenly, you see this cow flying through the air. The cow looks so petrified, it’s as if the poor cow could die right on the spot. Mr. Williams edges himself to get a little closer. He sees that there is actually someone-something- in the entry way. It looks like this little marshmallow almost. Except that it’s pink.

The pink marshmallow spots Mr. Williams and beckons him to go to his flying saucer. So he has no choice except to go to “it”. When he gets to the pink marshmallow, he bends down to its level. The pink marshmallow says to him-and Mr. Williams will never forget these words…

“Do you know where I can find a bathroom around here?”

My history teacher said that if we write a creative story, we would get extra credit. Since I love writing, I thought, piece of cake.

CarlyRae GOLD said...
on Jan. 1 2014 at 8:05 pm
CarlyRae GOLD, Cambridge, Maryland

hahaha, thank you so much!  I was going for the whole seriousness throughout the story, but then at the end i was like, hm, I'm gonna write something you'll never suspect coming.  but again, thank you.

CarlyRae GOLD said...
on Jan. 1 2014 at 8:04 pm
CarlyRae GOLD, Cambridge, Maryland

I'm really happy it inspired you to write your own.  I honestly thought it was just a silly story, and put it on this site for the fun of it. but thank you!

on Jan. 1 2014 at 2:55 pm
deeplythinking GOLD, Orlando, Florida
I enjoyed your sci-fi for it played on my imagination and actually has inspired me to start my own.  This kind of creativity, one of monsters, aliens, and legends can go to one's liking because the writer dictates the story.  What is truely great about fiction is that it will never die as breathes and dwells through one's imagination which is infinite indeed.  And with a story like this it is always fun to say, "Truth is stranger than fiction."

Alycia. BRONZE said...
on Jan. 1 2014 at 10:12 am
Alycia. BRONZE, Lower Gwynedd, Pennsylvania

“Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, past and present, and by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.” -- David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

Haha, I loved the whole "plot twist" at the end! I actually thought Mr. Williams would be abducted! And the pink marshmallow is just adorable! Excellent.