Hidden Under The Floor | Teen Ink

Hidden Under The Floor

By papage329 SILVER, Windsor, Connecticut
papage329 SILVER, Windsor, Connecticut

A single spore holds such grim power that you may die within the hour- The Grim Grotto

scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire (I know one thing, that I know nothing) -Socrates

As I looked out the window I suddenly saw my neighbor freeze, then start moving again as if he had stopped working for a moment. ‘That’s strange’ I thought, our machine halves never stop working. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs and I knew it was my mother coming to bring me breakfast. As she opened the door I turned towards her. She looked worried. “What’s bothering you Mom?” I asked. “Good question, but, sadly the answer is hidden under the floor.” She replied a smile now forming on her face. That was her favorite saying, and usually the answer I got to most questions. “Ah Solus, you never cease to amuse me with that expression.” she said laughing at what she calls the what is my mom talking about face. “Big changes are about to occur Solus, I promise.” She hugged me, the cold metal of her machine half chilled my skin. She turned around and started down the stairs. How can anything change? I don’t even know why I have to stay in hiding or what lies beyond these walls… All of the sudden I hear a clang of metal. Should I go and see what happened? No I probably shouldn’t. I waited a few minutes but all I heard from downstairs was silence. I cautiously walked down the stairs. As soon as I reached the bottom I saw my mom sprawled out on the floor.
“Mom!” I screamed. I rushed to her and shook her but she seemed almost frozen. Slowly she lifted her non-machine arm and pointed up the stairs. Her one human eye blinked as if to tell me to just go. I helped her into a sitting position and ran up stairs, telling my mom I’d be back soon. What’s going on? I thought. I wished I could ask but even if my mom could speak all she would probably say would be “Good question, but, sadly the answer is hidden under the floor.”

That’s it! I can’t believe it! After all these years! I started frantically tearing up the floorboards.

I wrote this as a beginning for a story a plan to submit to a sci-fi competition.