The Jar | Teen Ink

The Jar

By sandhawk3000 PLATINUM, Collinsville, Connecticut
sandhawk3000 PLATINUM, Collinsville, Connecticut

The smallish girl held around her jar, the light emanating from it was enough to cast a warm glow on it’s surroundings. She had many jars like this, in a room, full of her treasures. This treasure though, was different. It shone and sparkled, and set off a light that was different from mere luster.
The glow that it gave off was almost warm, as if it was human in some unknown, arcane way. That glow was enough that she felt comfortable turning her flashlight off on the way home.
As she walked home, she stepped into her room, surrounded by her other treasures.
A friend approached, eyeing the jar with curiosity.
“What is it you have in that jar, Remilia?” he asked, having stepped out from between the other class encased treasures.
She held it out to him, as if telling him to see for himself. The boy nodded and took the jar from her, he opened the top, and the glowing ceased. Holding the jar upside down, nothing fell from it.
He glanced up at her, as if asking her what was going on. She merely shrugged at grinned at him, her silence filling up the room.
He screwed the top back onto the jar, staring in pure wonderment as the jar refilled with that golden, warm glow.
“I understand.” he said, as he smiled. The two children sat down on the floor, feeling warmed by that unexplainable, yet understood light. Glancing up to each other’s illuminated faces and laughing.

on Oct. 22 2012 at 2:21 pm
iloveyouihateyou GOLD, Lowell, Indiana

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.

i like the concpet but you should change some things. like don't use smallish and when the friend says "What is it you have in that jar" it doesn't sound like a real conversation. say something like " what do you have in that jar" or " what's in the jar?" just some tips.