Colouria, and The Quest for Color | Teen Ink

Colouria, and The Quest for Color

By Moonhart SILVER, Milwaukie, Oregon
Moonhart SILVER, Milwaukie, Oregon

I became insane, with long periods of terrible sanity
~Edgar Allen Poe
Yesterday is the past, tomorow is the future, and today is a gift, that's why they call it "the present". ~Eleanore Rosavelt

Long ago, when everything was different shades of grey, there lived a forest elf named, Colouria.Colouria, spent most of her time in the woods with her sister, tending to the plants and animals. One day, an idea struck Colouria’s head.

What if things were more vibrant, and more then just a different shade of the same thing? What if everyone, and every thing, had their own vibrant shade, that was different then what we have now? Colouria decided to go to Zeus for some help.

So with a full heart, and a determined mind, Colouria went on a quest for color. Although, at the time, she would not have a clear idea of what color was.

After many hard months of struggle, and strive, Colouria finally found the mighty Zeus. He was sitting on a large stone, by a crystal clear pond. Colouria took a deep breath in, and held her chin high, as though to seem courageous in the presence of Zeus.

“What beith your name elf?” He said, as though the smallest bit amused.

“Colouria sir,” She said, with a courtesy. “I have come to complain about the dull look of things.” Zeus chuckled.

“And what might you suggest?”

“Well, I was hoping you could help me with that. I would like things more, vibrant, and full of life. The way things are now, well, they are all the same color, just different shades.” Colouria hoped she wasn’t being too bold. After all, she was telling Zeus he hadn’t done a good job in making the world beautiful. Zeus thought about this for a moment.

“Give me three weeks time, and I will have an answer for you Colouria,” He said after a lifetime of waiting.

Colouria waited three weeks, and, went to the exact same place she had found before. As she walked into the clearing where the pond was, she was amazed at the look of it. It was exactly what she could ever want. Zeus snook up behind her, and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Brilliant, isn’t it? It is much better then before, wouldn’t you agree?” A broad smile swept across Colouria’s face.
“It’s perfect!” She said, and in a moment of bravery, she hugged Zeus.

“They are called colors, after you Colouria,” He told her. She was overwhelmed by the fact that Zeus would name something so historical, after an elf such as herself. “It is your job, to paint the world, and everything in it.”

Colouria named the primary colors after her mother, father, and sister: Bluben, Redite, and Yellena. She also named the black, and white after the two people she despised the most, Blackert, and Whitia. All of the other colors she named after friends, and distant family.

After many long years, Colouria had painted the whole world, and it’s contents. But she had grown tired, of all the things being the same colors. So she decided to change the colors four times a year, for each season, and the sky twice daily, for sunrise, and sunset.

This started out as a Language Arts assignment, and it turned out to be one of my favorites. Hope you enjoy!