Blood of a Leviathan | Teen Ink

Blood of a Leviathan

October 28, 2022
By EveLOverlord SILVER, San Antonio, Texas
EveLOverlord SILVER, San Antonio, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
The only way that anyone can truly learn is through pain, through emotional scars that remind you everyday why you won't make the same mistake again.


Broken branches and pine needles were scattered on the snowy Levenworth mountains as dark shadows moved in to embrace the eternally sleeping beast. The ground, which had only hours ago been a pristine blanket of soft white powder, untouched by animal or man, was now stained with shining crimson. The large evergreens wept, for the gentle giant that had rested under their shade so many times before was once again lying below their branches in a deep slumber, only this time she would not awaken as dawn broke over the mountain tops. 

The morning light peaked over the horizon, reflecting the scarlet blood that contrasted the disturbed snow. Claw marks covered the trees and ground in the area surrounding the large creature. The smell of blood and pine filled the breeze as the gale of wind sang through the branches, a melody that echoed throughout the cold mountains and woke the sleeping animals. 

The first to see the dreadful scene was a young rabbit who had come out of her burrow, the soft cold snow sank beneath her tiny paws. She was petrified by the gruesome scene before her. The beautiful creature layed on her side in the deep powder, four long gashes had been taken out of the center of her left side. Giant holes pierced through her neck, and crimson covered her normally white fur. Scratches covered the normally gentle features that defined the beautiful creature. Her unmoving wolf-like face and body seemed unnatural. It felt like at any given moment she would just open her heavy eyelids and everything would be okay, but she didn’t. Her eyes did not open, nor did her ears did not perk up as the doe’s hooves made muffled sounds while they trudged through the snow and past the broken branches and blood. Despite the wounds that covered the giant wolf's body, she still looked as peaceful and gentle as she always had been. Her large stag-like antlers had been broken, pieces of them sprawled across the grounds. One antler had been reduced to merely a broken stub right behind her pointed ear. Feathers were ripped out of her large eagle-like wings that had been coated in the same crimson color covering her whole body. 

As more animals emerged from the brush, the wind continued to sing its melancholy melody and the only thing you could hear was the song and the mountains breathing. There, under the trees, slept the guardian forever, her fur matted.

The ground was covered with the blood of the Leviathan.


 


The author's comments:

This piece is supposed to feel more like a painting or a diorama. Standing still yet still telling a story.